League of Ireland 2021 - The Greatest Basket Case League In The World

That will fuck them over completely

Big clubs sign players at young ages to get them into their academies and playing with their coaches and systems.

They wont bother their bollix with an 18/19 year old unless they are exceptional

maybe if they fixed their pigsty ground crowds would go up

1 Like

Most kids don’t go through the LOI system at all before being plucked into a Premier League academy. With them having to wait until 18, all the best Irish players will be in LOI academies so if they are exceptional the money will be going to the club. Not as many players will go over but I think that’s a good thing, rather than at 15 living in some shithole away from your family and friends and probably end up failing anyway

The exceptional ones would develop far better being around better players and coaches in England.
The coaching structures are decades behind here.

If good players are left here until they are 18 then we are fucked internationally as well.

Who are our best players now? Matt Doherty moved to England at 18, Enda Stevens moved to England at 21/22, Coleman moved at 20/21, John Egan moved to Sunderland at 19, Duffy to Everton at 17, Hourihane to Sunderland at 18, McClean in his 20s

1 Like

Agreed the old model is bust. EPL academies recruit globally now and it’s practically impossible to make it over there. Even if you manage to make it to 20 or whatever at one of these clubs they’ll just go out and buy someone new for your position rather than giving youth a chance.

How many of those lads spent time in England and came back?

Are those our best players ya?

None that I know of but maybe one or two.

The best Irish born ones yeah. Randolph was 16 in fairness apparently. Do you have some other players in mind?

Actually, do you know what @the_man_himself you’re right. I took my usually stance of just disagreeing with you on the assumption you’re wrong. It usually stands me in good stead but I’ll admit I’m wrong here. Apologies.

Thinking about it, when England had the 3 foreigners rule, The Irish national team was way stronger and we produced real talent. Also the league of Ireland was stronger in the 80s and early 90s.

Maybe this will be a good thing

When England had the 3 foreigners rule, Irish players were exempt and thus had a disproportionately large representation in English clubs. It’s neither here nor there with the argument. Half that 90’s team was English/Scottish or in Cascarino’s case not even Irish anyway :joy:

Was it in European competition they were counted toward the foreign quota?

The best players of that time were almost all produced here. Packie, McGrath, Irwin, Keane, Quinn you could throw in Moran, Sheedy, OLeary etc.

The FAI would do well to come study Limerick junior hurling structures and how a creative management group implemented a multi-year strategy of progressive change.

Come to think of it, the whole of the new Dail could also do with studying it as an exercise in conflict management and bridge building.

Dundalk have signed a lad from Novi Sad in the Serbian Premier who appears to have a half decent record - the signing is certainly progressive
their squad looks very strong and their success has put them very much to the fore financially (but they will overspend of course)
They should be clear in the two horse race id imagine

yeah - once peak 6 pull the plug they are in a precarious position
for now the UEFA CL money keeps them in clover

Pelsiter Novi Sad not Vojvidinai Novi Sad who i saw play against Hapoel Tel Aviv in the 2008 2009 Uefa cup qualifiers

They’ve still managed to put together a v good team though,took probably the best keeper ( definitely no 2 in the LOI) off us with Kevin o Connor,say Waterford could end up in the top half

It’ll be some step up for him coming to live in Dundalk.

Serbia to Louth, the old joke about the apocryphal Syrian lad who came to play for Limerick will be revived :+1:

1 Like

jesus h christ
thats last resort territory

Sweet divine Jesus