Leavin' Gerrard

Zidane knew

He is definitely up there with Scott Brown as one of the best British central midfielders this century

5 Likes

Go way… Gerrard did it at international level where Frank didn’t. England were atrocious with just Frank in midfield, the opposite with just Gerrard. Think England’s win rate was double in favour of Gerrard when it was just either or playing… Gerrard played most of his career with bang average Liverpool teams… Lampard was surrounded by big money players all over the park… When Lamps was pressed to lead England he failed.

For me he can do everything and that’s the reason I’d say he was the best of the three if I had to split them ahead of Scholes and Lampard in that order.

They are all top professionals and each brought different attributes and strengths but Gerrard can tackle, defend, score goals, head it, make a telling precision pass, dictate the tempo and is a powerful runner. He has a bit more to his game.

Bryan Robson

Did what exactly?

Footix are weird

1 Like

They mostly played together for england and suffered because of it as Gerrard couldn’t play the holding midfield position. As soon as they played anyone half decent he got destroyed.

They weren’t a good pair.

And he was indeed one who did a lot and since he also had great talent, he was easy to follow. His story is one of those stories to be told, one of those fairytales, to be narrated to your children and grandchildren.

Paolo Maldini

Performed. As well as England could at least… I think with Gerrard in the team they had close to 70% win rate… As opposed to 40% when it was just Lamps. Lampard was great in a star studded Chelsea team, but struggled away from it.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.givemesport.com/1563946-steven-gerrard-has-been-voted-as-the-greatest-central-midfielder-in-premier-league-history%3Famp

Agreed, trying to accommodate Lampard in the team killed them.

Much as I dislike his antics at sevco, he was a fabulous player in the bits I’ve seen of him (very few tbh)
Bryan Robson is a thoroughly alright sort who knows his onions though.

I’d struggle to remember a performance from Gerrard at a Euros or World Cup where he played anywhere near what he did for Liverpool. At least the likes of Rooney, Ferdinand, Owen all had one decent international tournament where they performed to back up their reps, Ashley Cole had several. Neither Gerrard or Lampard did it at big tournaments and were upstaged by lesser players like Nickey Butt and Hargreaves.

His peers voted him onto the PFA team more times than any other Premier League player…says it all.

2 Likes

Roy Keane shits all over all 3 of them anyway

1 Like

Lads are blinded by hate. It’s fascinating to watch. If Liverpool manage to stumble over the line and win the title some time then I fear some lads lives may be destroyed.

@StoneCold you’re a mischievous bastard :joy:

1 Like

Yeah but the CL was a fluke.

Didn’t Lampard win one with a caretaker manager and Ryan Bertrand, Salomon Kalou, Jon Obi Mikel and Gary Cahill?

2 Likes

Gerrard was atrocious for England. Unless the team was built around Gerrard, he was pants.

Never saw Daniele De Rossi win the league either yet you idolise him