Leinster Senior Schools Cup Rugby - Official Thread

What time was it on at? I was out for the morning and only got home in the last hour so wouldn’t have seen it anyway.

A result that will please the traditionalists. From the scoreline it looks like today’s showdown would have done justice to the final itself.

One suspects the famed Williamstown academy will be hard beaten this year as they chase title number 70.

That was the final today for most. By far and away the two best teams with Rock expected to win.

Watched a bit around 130 or so (assumed it was live) before Clare-v-Wexford
There was a De Klerk playing.

Tadgh was marking erstwhile 2fm DJ eoghan McDermott in the final group game

2 Likes

The coaching and hot housing they get in those schools makes them better players I’d say is the main factor rather than bias in selection. Ewan does have a point that despite the growth of rugby it’s probably more dominated than ever by the private school system. Surely Leinster and munster should start paying the fees of promising players who can’t afford them.

There is heaps of lads on scholarships in the rugby schools. Joey carbery for example joined Blackrock college only for a year or two

2 Likes

Never heard a word about that tbh even by people arguing against Ewan. I never heard of anyone being offered one either. I suppose if they made a big deal out of that and had a big percentage of scholarship students it would take the wind out of that criticism a bit. Would become like criticising kilkenny for having loads of st kierans lads playing.
Did a big percentage of county gaa players in certain counties go to boarding school at one stage eg jarlaths st Mel’s etc? Similar might have applied back them two training sessions a day etc.

AFAIK CBC in cork give out plenty scholarships these days for hurling as well

1 Like

Just googled there carbery. He actually only joined for his LC he was in Athy school before that

100 percent

They have acruslly changed the rules in the schools rugby a bit recently I think you can’t play senior Cup in first year in the school. A young lad I’d know was offered one to join after junior cert but he’d have had to nearly commit to repeating the leaving to have made it worthwhile

Blackrock, Clongowes and Roscrea were the reason that rule was brought in. Far too many lads going for a year of boarding - who was paying the fees wasn’t clear.

1 Like

Eoghan McDermott is about 9 years older than Tadgh so he must have been about 23 playing Tony Forristal for Dublin😂

2 Likes

No wonder the cunt got on the team :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

Clongowes must be fucked as a rugby institution when they’re having their arses handed to them by a mucksavage from Ballyadams in Laois

A comfortable 19-5 win for St Michael’s over Belvedere in the opening game of the 2023 renewal.

1 Like

A chilling warning sent out by the 70 time champions this afternoon to all pretenders to their crown.

1 Like

A renewal of the 2022 decider in the blue riband event of domestic Irish rugby. 70 time winners and defending champions Blackrock College to face 0 time winners Gonzaga College.

1 Like

Maybe if they didnt focus so heavily on chess

Cc @balbec

As an aside, i see leinster schools stalwart, KH vice principal and former IRFU president caleb powell passed away today. RIP