Leinster Senior Schools Cup Rugby - Official Thread

Great. I meant he will play no senior hurling for Cork

Me neither. He was playing full back last day. Didn’t realise still in 5th year. He is a serious unit

1 Like

Unbelievable talent.

Cork hurlers need him a lot more than Irish rugby. I hope he sticks with the hurling

How long before someone in some GAA managanent give him an ultimatum!

Would love to see him playing with the hurlers. He is a potential generational talent that no county can afford to lose.

However, the opportunity to play a sport he likes professionally would seem too good to turn down. Best of luck to the lad.

1 Like

Is Darren Sweetnam still over in France? He was another big loss to the hurlers over the last few years.

1 Like

Don’t know. A massive loss.

Even trickling down to Wexford now. The chap who kicked the winning conversion last night for the 20s hurled minor for Wexford. Mikie Dwyer who got the goal against Limerick last week was with Clontarf and the Leinster academy for a few years. And sure Tadgh hurled full back for Wexford in the Tony Forrestal when he was 14.

2 Likes

You will struggle to hear that narrative if you listen to the likes of Ewan bleating about private schools though. Pa Campbell who was full back for the 20s last nt was star of a Cork minor football winning team a few years ago. A huge loss to Cork football. Likes of Gavin Coombes, barron, Crowley, wycherly bros etc all in Munster side now all from west Cork a massive area with no senior rugby club

1 Like

In fairness to Ewan, he does have a point a bit. It’s far far easier to get picked up and noticed if you come through one of the typical leinster cup schools in dublin. Tector went to school in Kilkenny college too, so he has that. Both Dwyer and Furlong went to Good Counsel which probably punches a bit in rugby more than many other non South Dublin school. I know other lads who were in the Leinster academy and you’d always be an outsider trying to break in rather than being in with the set up. It’s changing a bit alright, but there is no way that a choice at academy level between a 'Rock or a culchie will swing the culchie way.

This isn’t rugby exclusive though, happens in all sports if you come from a seemingly top club you have more chance of being picked than the smaller club.

1 Like

In fairness, he went out at the top

3 Likes

It is because they are mini academies who literally plough hundreds of thousands of euro annually into their rugby programs similar to US model. As a result they attract any young fella with half an aspiration to play rugby and chase plenty more

But I think that’s the crux of it, private schools who can invest in it and get in son’s of rich parents. Obviously that’s not the whole story, but when a lot make it through by going this route, it gives the elitist view of it all, and therefore piss off the Ewans seeing this happening.

Presume this Charlie Tector is a grandson/grand nephew of Bill Tector who won a few caps for Ireland at full back in the mid 50’s. Think he was from around Clonroche.

How many of those chaps attended Bandon Grammar or Roscrea?

Charlie is from Rathnure so not beyond the realms of possibility being neighbouring parishes.

The undertakers in Clonroche is Tectors. They would mainly serve the local Church of Ireland community. Never knew there was an international from the village, it wouldn’t be a rugby stronghold…

A 25-20 win for Rock over Michael’s in the Clash of the Holy Ghost Fathers titans.

2 Likes

Watched a bit on premier sports
Looked like a full house in Donnybrook