Leitrim Matters, the home of sitka spruce

Sunday Miscellany did the whole show on the Arigna mines this morning. A good listen.

It’s a great spend of an hour or so. Original mine-shafts being used, dripping ceilings and quite close to how life was lived there and then. A tough station.
Mercifully, during the mining days, Layden’s, the owners, were decent enough folk. Nobody has had a bad word to say about them.

1 Like

Great piece on one of your neighbours @Spidey
2 Likes

I heard more about this in Mohill today. Apparently the lady in question was pulled from the Shannon in Carrick the next day.

I just went into Manor there for a spin,the place is like a fuckin ghost town.Gurns is the only pub in the town open and I wouldn’t go in there for a shit.

A sad state of affairs.

I’m sure it’s the same all round the country,there’d always be a few around this time of the year but the place is locked up.

Sure you couldn’t open up connollys, the size of it. Absolutely no social distancing in there.

1 Like

Auld Joe is in a wheelchair these days https://youtu.be/l9KMDmhiehI

So I’m in Supervalu when I spots Tommy (Scalder) Scollan, the hero of last year’s 25’s hamper final. Scalder, an abrasive character at the best of times, has a helmet type visor thingy made I’d guess out of a 3ltr plastic container. The red and black insulating tape added authenticity. He looked like a madly created spaceman but…

I’m in the check-out queue behind an immensely corpulent lady of African extraction and she’s engaging with the assistant loudly when her phone goes off in her bag which is in her trolley.
It emits an intermittent Beeeee…Beeeeee… Beeeeee… quite loudly…

I’m grabbed by behind by the bould Scalder with a loud roar…

Back up ta’ fuck Boxty, she’s beginning to reverse and she’ll fucking flatten you.

9 Likes

:joy::joy:

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/connacht-s-revenge-an-irishman-s-diary-on-the-battle-of-áth-an-chip-1.4335163
You were surely at this were ye @anon67715551

No, I missed it. I was building crannógs near Kesh and there was no Wi-Fi.
There’s a super pub in Battlebridge, Beirnes. A top venue for sawing an accordeon…

3 Likes

Beirnes
I been there a good few times.I told you before I worked on the houses in Cootehall for Cyril Mulvey back in 2000.We often stopped off there on the way home.We had a right session there 1 xmas

1 Like

Cyril Mulvey, a blast from the past if ever there was one. I liked Cyril, he had a tough few final year or two.

I heard that.I boxed his sons a few times,nothing easy there either.

Meanwhile in Drumkeerin
1 Like

11 cases in Leitrim today.

Stay safe lads.

They had no cases for 29 days and now 11.:thinking:.House party?

Don’t know. Hopefully they’re on top of it.