Leitrim Matters, the home of sitka spruce

There’s no need to panic, it’s gonna be a full weekend of it with the celebrities staying around to mingle with the natives, savour some rugby on Saturday and take in the LM / LS clash in Pairc Seán on the Sunday.

@anon67715551

A lad on the Fenagh side of Mohill died suddenly over night. I’d estimate around 55. A grand lad and very chatty to talk to.

Not sure if you know him.

As decent a skin as ever wore shoes God be good to him. He’d have been a brother of Catherine Charles whom I’d say you know. A lovely fella the light of Heaven to him.

Another sad passing in Mohill today.

Another young man in his 50’s, who tragically battled Alzheimer’s for the last number of years has passed away.

I recall him in his health years ago selling GAA Lotto tickets and he was a very sound fella. He leaves a wife and a few kids, in their 20’s now.

He was married into the Fitzpatricks who own a pub in the town so from them alone there will be a huge turnout.

1 Like

Saw that earlier, a long tough road comes to a finale - a mercy to his family.
We’re down an elder statesman as well, Ml McKeon a brother of the late Fr.Jimmy’s.
His wife only passed away in January so it’s been a tough start to 2023 for the family. RIP to all.

2 Likes

This came up on my feed today, a mineral bar in a Co, Leitrim dance hall. @anon67715551 is that you with the hungry eye on the innocent yung wan working the straw :slight_smile:

1 Like

No. That’s the Rainbow in Glenfarne - more @Massey territory. The Mayflower in Drumshanbo, Cloudland Rooskey, The Wonderland in Bawnboy were the hot venues of the early 60’s.

Bundoran the August weekend was a must - rammed (with) randy young Nordies if you follow​:wink::dart:

2 Likes

No bother to ya hup! :wink:

What was the name of the one the Mohill side of Fenagh?

Fé-na-ville?

Initially Fenaghville from the late ‘40’s until a renovation about 1966 and a rebrand as The Ivy Leaf.
A returned Yank Patsy Conboy was the owner. It was a dancing Mecca in the ‘50’s as there was no dances during Lent in the adjoining diocese of Kilmore. Kilmore encompassed from Ballinamore to east Cavan and they flocked to The Villa……
A local wag once proclaimed that “there wouldn’t be a cock of hay safe within a mile of the Villa in the summertime”……

5 Likes

Ha ha! Brilliant!

As my late great uncle once said:

‘It’s a long time since I put up a cock’

Of hay he was referring to of course.

1 Like

I was at manys a school disco there in the early 90s.Yer man drinking the cidona looks very familiar.

We always called the Rucks of hay up our way.

@anon67715551

Reports coming through that the soundest of the sound Mohill hoteliers has passed away.

RIP Sean.

Indeed. May the Lord have mercy on him. It was never going to be a good outcome and sadly it wasn’t.
A lovely man, decent to a fault. He has enough hardships to last an army a lifetime. RIP.

I don’t think I know a more well got businessman than him. That says it all.

@Ceist if Ireland plants millions of sitka spruce trees will it help fight climate change & also, should we plant these trees in the less populous counties where land prices are cheaper?

Planting millions of Sitka spruce trees in Ireland could potentially help fight climate change, as trees absorb carbon dioxide from the atmosphere. However, it is important to note that Sitka spruce is a non-native species to Ireland, and monoculture plantations of this tree can have negative impacts on biodiversity, soil quality, and water quality.

Regarding planting in the less populous counties where land prices are cheaper, this may be a consideration, but it is important to assess the suitability of the land for forestry and the potential impact on local communities and ecosystems. Additionally, a balanced approach to afforestation is needed, with consideration given to the need for food production, recreation, and conservation.

would planting millions of sitka spruce & millions of native trees be best as then we get the mixture of fast growing trees & trees that are good for biodiversity?

Yes, planting both Sitka spruce and native trees could be a good approach as it would provide a mix of fast-growing trees and trees that are beneficial for biodiversity. It is important to ensure that the native tree species planted are appropriate for the local environment, and that the planting is done in a way that supports ecosystem function and resilience. A diverse mix of tree species can also provide a range of benefits such as carbon sequestration, habitat creation, and soil conservation.