Leitrim Matters, the home of sitka spruce

Leitrim Rose one year.

1 Like

Yes indeed

Pursuant to this issue of the half-pissed lad running away from the cops (Racist thread) I’m minded of an adventure a solid acquaintance of mine had back in the mists of time.
He was coming from the Mart in Mohill of a winter’s evening, happy with the prices and slightly merry.
The oul’ trailer would have been scarce on lights, the tractor might fail several tests but in any event the Gardai pulled my man over and several inspections commenced.
At some juncture, prior to the breath test, the Gardai went behind my pals view at the back of the trailer, checking the “lights” no doubt. My intrepid friend strolled forward, spotted the keys in the squad car and before you could say a Hail Mary he was away.

20 minutes later the Gardai arrived at the Abbey Bar to find our friend comfortably ensconced, half-one drained and pint moving south smoothly. A bit of shouting and pleas for calm, to’ing and fro’ing resulted in the keys of the squad car being returned and life would carry on as normal. A recovery plan was made for the tractor and trailer and we’re all happy.

It appears that my pal was lucky that the incident didn’t happen in the good ol’ USA. He’d a been toast.

1 Like

Pursuant to the passing of my neighbour I crossed paths with the undertaker there today. He (deceased) had no known relatives but had about 10 head of cattle, all still rambling the land away and a grand and little used MF35 with a cracking cab.

He made a will you know says the undertaker. Grand says I, who got the 35?
Funny you ask says the UT. Would you believe a lad you know stole it before another lad you know got there… It’s as safe as a house.
We both laughed heartily as we both knew the bottom line.

2 Likes

@KinvarasPassion up to his old tricks again

1 Like
1 Like

What’s goin on @farmerinthecity

A serious incident by the sounds of it

@anon67715551 sign in mate

I don’t know. Spent the last while trying to get news on it and nothing.

Sounds like they’ve made a mountain out of a mohill

1 Like

I never heard that before :roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

Well there you go

It appears that a local shop was targetted for an ATM robbery.

Update: Reports now suggesting that a man in his late 40s died last night in the area in ‘unexplained circumstances’.

Foul play not suspected.

Foul play is confirmed in that the occupier of local authority dwelling has met his death from injuries inflicted by a knife-crazed female originally from Clare.

Female told months ago she was not to return to any part of Co. Clare such was the disturbances she was causing mainly when in possession of a knife and out of her tree.
Despite multiple negative directives, Leitrim Co.Co.provide a house for her and child.
She goes buck-ape a week ago and wrecks the gaff. She’s evicted, the child taken into care and the house boarded up.
Troubled soul recovering from years of hardship offers the hand of friendship, takes her in and pays with his life the 1st time she throws a serious wobbler.

Moral of the story: Man, mind thyself.

Mohill has lost a really lovely lady today, not yet four years after she buried her 21 year old daughter, with her husband also sick at the moment. The three other kids will no doubt soldier on. The nicest of families from the best of stock.

Some people really get dealt a horrible hand.

Sad loss, would have known her through Arus Carolan. Tough circumstances, you’re right, some decent folk get shit cards. RIP.

Sunday Miscellany did the whole show on the Arigna mines this morning. A good listen.

It’s a great spend of an hour or so. Original mine-shafts being used, dripping ceilings and quite close to how life was lived there and then. A tough station.
Mercifully, during the mining days, Layden’s, the owners, were decent enough folk. Nobody has had a bad word to say about them.

1 Like