Leo Varadkar

What are we doing to adapt kid?

UBI is probably where itā€™s going. Weā€™re basically seeing a form of it now via the PUP.

2 Likes

Services it seems . Pharma etc ā€¦

How was your holiday, mate?

1 Like

The way demographics are going itā€™ll be a small cohort of working age people flat out pumping out enough pharma to keep billions of old people alive beyond 95.

2 Likes

Lads think cos the MNCs give a few jobs to the Micks that they should pay no tax on profits. Michael Healy Rae school of thought.

2 Likes

I think you have gotten me confused with another poster sport.

I rarely, if at all, converse about politics in this forum.

I mentioned Sweden once with regard to the Covid-19 Pandemic.

1 Like

Iā€™ve never espoused the Scandinavian model for anything other than women pal.

Iā€™m economically right wing but a libertarian.

1 Like

Fintech. Payments. Digital assets.

Thereā€™d be no hiding under the bed without the MNC corporate tax receipts.

2 Likes

If they were taxed properly we could party for a few years when Covid is over and give frontline staff a well deserved payrise.

What is a proper amount?

Hasnā€™t it been established that they donā€™t even pay the 12.5% weā€™ve set out?

No that hasnā€™t been established at all. Our effective rate of collection is very close to the headline rate. The likes of France have a much higher headline rate but all sorts of allowances and credits that lead to a lower effective rate.

Now that hasnā€™t always been the case for Ireland with the ā€˜double Irishā€™ but those loopholes have largely been closed off and the EU countries that go after us for being a tax haven often do worse themselves cough cough the Dutch. Denis Irwin had them pegged.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s gibberish in fairness. They should be pay the stated 12.5% stated corporation tax. Irish Revenue enabled MNC tax evasion which is why the EU brought the case against Apple. EU Court ruled that tax evasion is allowable in Ireland if the law allows it. Itā€™s illegal in the rest of the EU. There were lads here who were celebrating this decision and a few days later were screaming blue murder about the economic impact of their local coffee shop going out of business because of a pandemic.

1 Like

How are they connected?

Simply untrue.

Because MNCs hardly pay any tax relative to their profits.

I donā€™t see the connection with local coffee shops going out of business because of a pandemic

yeah, wasnā€™t that the basis of the Apple case, that the double Irish was effectively unlawful state aid.

Itā€™s being appealed to the Commission at present i believe.