Lessons for life from self appointed self help gurus

Reading that, either you are stoned out of your mind or I am.

1 Like

The best description I saw of Chopra was when some punter described him as a ā€œcorporate new age hucksterā€. Heā€™s a spin-doctor, who takes bits of universal truths and has re-branded them for profit from the peon masses. As my old Business Studies teacher used to say, ā€œnice work if you can get it, boss!ā€

As for the peyote, no joy pal. But, next time Iā€™m in Arizona weā€™ll have to meet up - Vegas is half-way right?! :ronnyroar:

I wish I was. No. Just scuttered. Again. Happy Christmas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aoj5qIZvwWA

As it happens I bear an uncanny resemblance to Oscar Acosta (but not del Toro sadly). Itā€™s a date, Iā€™m overdue a visit to Vegas. Thanks for the inspiration I might just watch Fear and Loathing tonight. Go easy on the sauce, itā€™s early, and New Year resolutions are looming.

Can someone not be too old to learn to live by these principles? Surely at a certain age your temperament, innate sense of justice etc are ingrained, or is that not the case? I doubt ones temperament can be changed by merely counting to ten before reacting. Is the theory that if you strive to lead such a principled life and wholesale change is possible, or am I not understanding it? How do you enforce such changes? Whatā€™s the book??

Where you living pal? The true falseness I find in the likes of chopra is that despite spouting shite about helping people or leading a balanced life he unashamedly rips people off.

The good news is most of the ones he is ripping off are Hollywood cunts with money to burn. He actually wrote a few decent books on healthy lifestyle earlier in his career but quickly figured out where the big money was. His techniques basically rely on the placebo effect, but all doctors do the same to varying degrees.

1 Like

The book is 7 Habits of Highly Effective People - Steven R. Covey. I had heard interviews with him over the years, and there were one or two things that finally convinced me to read it.

Firstly, his analogy comparing business to farming - how weā€™ve moved from the earth and lost grounding in the process. He also says when does a farmer ever cram? Not plant crops all spring / summer - or forget to plant? Flake off all summer, then hit it real hard in the fall and bring in the harvest?! People know - they know in their conscience already - that this is ludicrous.

People know the difference between values and principles. You canā€™t talk yourself out of problems that you behave yourself into. I donā€™t think itā€™s ever too late to change the path youā€™re on.

On a different note, check out the song ā€œThe Grudgeā€ by Tool. Thereā€™s a reference to ā€œSaturn comes back aroundā€ - itā€™s orbit around the sun is 29.5 years, and if you havenā€™t learned ā€˜lifeā€™s lessonsā€™ by then, strap in - youā€™ll repeat the cycle again.

Living in Ireland dude. Chopra is a shill.

Thought you were in Arizona or somewhere

Just for Christmas.

I didnā€™t realise @ironmoth was in Arizona. Has there been any mention of it on the forum?

Bandage.please close the forum at night so these 3 tards cant post their inane shit

3 Likes

A load of boring guff posted overnight alright. The posters in question should strongly consider self-bannings rather than forcing a complete forum closure.

One or two subtle mentions pal.

Look, itā€™s fully understandable that the high-brow lessons for life that @maroonandwhite, @anon7035031 and I discussed would go over your head. Thereā€™s no need to get defensive and bandy about gratuitous insults. Maybe if you were a better person your fixie wouldnā€™t have been stolen. Iā€™m going to assign a Stage 5 rattled rating here. Take a deep breath, re-read our posts, and feel the full effects of the ensuing paradigm shift.

As a regular poster of new-age twaddle to this thread, I would have expected more understanding from you. You might have a food intolerance that is flaring up due to Christmas excess and leading to increased snapping. Have your family noticed anything? Stage 3.

Anyway, Happy New Year @Little_Lord_Fauntleroy and @Bandage.

Post reported.

1 Like

Thanks Harry. Iā€™ll have a look.

1 Like

Cosying up to that absolute dullard @anon7035031 on multiple threads is doing nothing for your e-brand and TFK status, pal. That said, I canā€™t be too harsh on you if itā€™s making you happy deep inside.

Ah - thanks pal :slightly_smiling:

Christmas is saved :ronnyroar: