Lessons for life from self appointed self help gurus

So thereā€™s nothing for the dinner?

Itā€™s not though.

2 Likes

So is that some sort of potato salad-related wisdom?

I may owe you an explanation

@Tassotti @Bandage @KinvarasPassion @TheUlteriorMotive

ā€œSow a thought and you reap an action; sow an act and you reap a habit; sow a habit and you reap a character; sow a character and you reap a destiny.ā€ ā€• Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 Likes

2 Likes

Howā€™s the Covey book coming along? I am in the early chapters, its great stuff in fairness.

Very well - it is very good. So applicable to parenting, business,ā€¦ life! Itā€™s very grounded, and very grounding.

1 Like

I have it on kindle but think Iā€™ll invest in a hard copy. Its something that should be dipped into every now and then.

Good man. Itā€™s one for the shelf and the coffee table in the drawing room (or the colouring-in room as they called it in Bottom!).

You could also pick up some Ralph Waldo Emerson for free on Kindle. When Covey talks of the proponents Character Ethic and the basic principles of effective living it espoused, Emerson is one of the guys he is referring to. He hasnā€™t mentioned him yet, but Iā€™ve seen clear links between the two.

2 Likes

Starting the covey book tomorrow. Im coming for you character!

2 Likes

Donā€™t give up.

You better bring the noise!

Does no-one figure this shit out for themselves anymore?

Why would you when you can download an app?

Iā€™m not giving blanket approval, but thereā€™s a share of half-decent living citizens on here along with the lunatic fringe, Iā€™m fucked if Iā€™m using some US life-guide manual to raise my kids or progress my career if and when either of them situations arise. Man the fuck up.

Come out from behind that printer, you Clare deviant.

I canā€™t, Iā€™m stuck. Does anyone have a manual?

2 Likes

Great piece from Covey on commitment.

COMMITMENTS:

At the very heart of our Circle of Influence is our ability to make and keep commitments and promises. The commitments we make to ourselves and to others , and our integrity to those commitments, is the essence and clearest manifestation of our proactivity. It is also the essence of our growth.

Through our human endowments of self-awareness and conscience, we become conscious of areas of weakness, areas for improvement, areas of talent that could be developed, areas that need to be changed or eliminated from our lives . Then , as we recognize and use our imagination and independent will to act on that awarenessā€” making promises, setting goals , and being true to themā€”we build the strength of character, the being, that makes possible every other positive thing in our lives.

It is here that we find two ways to put ourselves in control of our lives immediately. We can make a promiseā€”and keep it. Or we can set a goalā€”and work to achieve it. As we make and keep commitments, even small commitments, we begin to establish an inner integrity that gives us the awareness of self-control and the courage and strength to accept more of the responsibility for our own lives. By making and keeping promises to ourselves and others, little by little , our honor becomes greater than our moods. The power to make and keep commitments to ourselves is the essence of developing the basic habits of effectiveness. Knowledge, skill, and desire are all within our control. We can work on any one to improve the balance of the three. As the area of intersection becomes larger, we more deeply internalize the principles upon which the habits are based and create the strength character to move us in a balanced way toward increasing effectiveness in our lives.

3 Likes