Lessons for life from self appointed self help gurus

I can’t, I’m stuck. Does anyone have a manual?

Great piece from Covey on commitment.

COMMITMENTS:

At the very heart of our Circle of Influence is our ability to make and keep commitments and promises. The commitments we make to ourselves and to others , and our integrity to those commitments, is the essence and clearest manifestation of our proactivity. It is also the essence of our growth.

Through our human endowments of self-awareness and conscience, we become conscious of areas of weakness, areas for improvement, areas of talent that could be developed, areas that need to be changed or eliminated from our lives . Then , as we recognize and use our imagination and independent will to act on that awareness— making promises, setting goals , and being true to them—we build the strength of character, the being, that makes possible every other positive thing in our lives.

It is here that we find two ways to put ourselves in control of our lives immediately. We can make a promise—and keep it. Or we can set a goal—and work to achieve it. As we make and keep commitments, even small commitments, we begin to establish an inner integrity that gives us the awareness of self-control and the courage and strength to accept more of the responsibility for our own lives. By making and keeping promises to ourselves and others, little by little , our honor becomes greater than our moods. The power to make and keep commitments to ourselves is the essence of developing the basic habits of effectiveness. Knowledge, skill, and desire are all within our control. We can work on any one to improve the balance of the three. As the area of intersection becomes larger, we more deeply internalize the principles upon which the habits are based and create the strength character to move us in a balanced way toward increasing effectiveness in our lives.

The pain of discipline or the pain of regret

It is doing a favour to future you who will be thankful

That’s unreal, unbelievable. It really resonated with me. Not from a personal perspective (I’m already perfect) but it’s alarming to observe the complete lack of self awareness in certain other people. Behaving like absolute arseholes and they may be completely oblivious to it. Granted, there’s plenty of people who fully realise they’re acting the cunt too. Self awareness and conscience. That’s changed my life.

Having full awareness of being a cunt and continuing to do so is almost psychotic behaviour.

Guilty as charged.

Yes, definitely. There’s also the scenario where someone may totally lack self awareness and be unaware they’re acting the cunt. But then continue to do so after it’s pointed out to them (politely/sensitively or otherwise).

Person A- “Hey, you’re acting the cunt”

Person B - “Sorry, I didnt realise I was acting the cunt”

Person A - “Pardon me but you’re still acting the cunt even though I made you aware of it”

Person B - “Yes, I know”

In a nutshell. :clap:

@Tassotti @Bandage @KinvarasPassion @glasagusban

“I know of no more encouraging fact than the unquestionable ability of man to elevate his life by conscious endeavour”

Henry David Thoreau

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

• OLIVER WENDELL HOLMES

Some interesting, life affirming and thought provoking quotes and discourse here this week but let’s not neglect the importance of having these quotes set against a picture background.

Noted.

It was a note to myself more than anyone. Most quotes are much more meaningful when you can see daffodils in the background.

Wake up, @maroonandwhite. Time to attack the day.

Ya but sometimes the message is lost in a photo.

A pretty landscape is also vital @bandage

this one is a game changer lads

Don’t worry if someone says ‘you’ve changed’. That just means you’ve stopped living your life the way ‘they’ want you to

@TheUlteriorMotive