Level 3 Run Challenge - Bank Holiday Challenge

Define ā€œhigh mileage runnersā€

20 miles or more a week.

For how long?

https://scholarlyworks.lvhn.org/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1449&context=medicine

Im not reading that.
The bullet point is that this was a poor quality low powered study in which a conclusion was manufactured.

@TheUlteriorMotive is playing Snakes and Ladders while the rest of us are playing Monopoly

2 Likes

Indeed.

Male marathon runners (n = 50) as compared with sedentary male controls (n = 23) had increased total plaque volume (200 vs. 126 mm3, p < 0.01), calcified plaque volume (84 vs. 44 mm3, p < 0.0001), and non-calcified plaque volume (116 vs. 82 mm3, p = 0.04). Lesion area and length, number of lesions per subject, and diameter stenosis did not reach statistical significance.

Conclusion

Long-term male marathon runners may have paradoxically increased coronary artery plaque volume.

Is @TheUlteriorMotive getting a kicking elsewhere in the board? A bizarre intervention into here

I was minded by it after Pat Hooper died recently. We were chatting about it in the ā€œreal worldā€. People who are involved in athletics reckoned it was a thing alright but more research is needed.

You take things awful personally.

Like most things, moderation is key. Running 100 miles a week for years canā€™t be good for you. I seen Jerry Kiernan out running a while back, and it was very sad. Youā€™d wonder why heā€™d bother. Lad living across from me ran with Jerry back in the day. Had heart trouble recently and consultant said it is very common amongst long distance runners and cyclists.

1 Like

People run for a variety of reasons, Iā€™m sure most are aware of the risks, I fear that Iā€™d be in a far worse place mentally if I didnā€™t get out most days to clear my head and feel good about what Iā€™ve done, other people will have other valid reasons

Itā€™s a pointless interjection into a thread type that doesnā€™t normally have that sort of shite, thereā€™s enough negativity on TFK

1 Like

You did not read what I said.

I wasnā€™t talking about your post but the one you were replying to

1 Like

Itā€™s a conversation I had in real world with people who do run, as i said, after Hooper died. They had various perspectives on it.

Itā€™s not meant to be negative. Itā€™s just a viewpoint.

One of lads I spoke to reckoned anybody over 40 should get a heart calcification test. Need a GP referral but best predictor of heart attack there is. Far better than stress tests or usual medicals.

Great running lads. Iā€™m intending on doing a trail run today, but not sure if Iā€™ll get out. Been working all morning and may go do family stuff in afternoon, so will hopefully get out sometime this week. Will hopefully get 10k done, time will be shit, but Iā€™m aiming for a 60 minute target.

Iā€™m pretty sure I read last week that Pat Hooperā€™s father died from a heart attack at an early age too. Might be more hereditary than anything to do with running.

Running in flats is bad for you

Spotted a run on strava, Itā€™s the Black Bridge mate, havenā€™t we discussed this before :grinning:

1 Like

I knew youā€™d bite :laughing:

1 Like