Limerick GAA 2023 - League champions means nothing now šŸ

It was turgid, entirely of kerry doing

several sweepers by kerry, no kerry forward scored from play !

Limerick went through the motions

1 Like

I thought Darren did fairly well today. He was the best of the inside line, without being spectacular. Now, as mentioned, that was largely down to Kerry being very deep, it meant that the best way to get scores was to shoot from outside so we did a lot of that (Coughlan hit 0-4 from play, Quinlan got 0-3, which really shows that).

But he won some difficult ball, got a point from play, won 3 frees I think, set up another couple of scores; one he did brilliantly to lay on a potential goal chance for Murphy off the shoulder. Pat Simon looked rusty, and overplayed the ball a bit; Murphy was in the withdrawn role and worked hard but didnā€™t hurl a huge amount of ball.

Now he shipped a heavy knock and was taken off towards the end, so hopefully itā€™s nothing too serious as the last thing he needs is another injury.

1 Like

Jimmy was good.

Iā€™ve always been a massive fan of his, but he showed why today. Won a lot of dirty ball and just used the ball well. Both our midfielders played similar roles today, supported on breaks and linked the play, but they didnā€™t really venture too far forward but linked well with the wing-backs overlapping outside them.

Did pick up a yellow for an unnecessary flick but got through an amount of work. Just needs to firm down a position at senior county level if he wants to make the breakthrough.

3 Likes

Just a straight role reversal from when the footballers meet.

I was fairly disappointed with Kerry to be honest. They were so so deep, Limerick were just able to pick off scores from out the field under no real pressure. And Kerry had no presence up the field, they were seriously bad in possession.

I presume Molumphy was probably worried about getting a serious hammering, but Limerick are still fairly rusty and it was a mostly second-string team out. They could have pushed on a little bit and given it a bit of a better go, I think. Youā€™re only killing yourself if you have no outball.

The overlap from wing backs worked well.

Iā€™d say Coughlan couldnā€™t believe the space he was left in again and again.

kerry were brutal and the way they set up well okay they wanted to prevent goals but @ some stage you have to come out and play

he was completely unmarked, how kerry left him free to keep having free shots is beyond me

1 Like

Iā€™d say the full-forward line were sickened :joy: :joy:

Heā€™s well able to score from distance in fairness to him, and Quinlan picked up 3 on the other side, who wouldnā€™t exactly be known for scoring loads of points from distance.

He didnā€™t let the first shot deter him either.

Yes, not much opportunity to impress for full forward line in terms of scoring. Iā€™d say only about three points from play came from there. Workrate was good though.

Thank you

Would any of the young lads have a chance of seeing championship time? Quilty or Coughlan etc. obviously CON will, and probably English if Gillane isnā€™t around for the year

Obviously hard to be certain and will depend on injuries, etc. Like I donā€™t think anybody expected Hanley and Boylan to get starts last year, and obviously we were fairly stretched on the bench at some point.

Coughlan has obviously previously seen gametime but fell back the pecking order last year, so he needs a big league to push himself up again (although Fitzgibbon might stall those chances a bit).

English has the potential alright but if he doesnā€™t get himself right for plenty of league opportunities, he might struggle as there are a huge number of inside forwards there.

I think Fergal Oā€™Connor has a good chance of getting a bench spot but youā€™re hardly going to bring a corner-back on as a sub in Championship outside of injury (and will presumably still be behind Richie).

1 Like

English seems to have struggled since joining the
Panel.

Iā€™d say outside o neill shane o Brien is well placed.

Coughlan looks like a beast but youā€™d wonder if he has the mobility needed to play half back. Could see Quilty getting in as the first sub for the midfield scrapping role ahead of Robbie.

1 Like

Quilty is quality.

Thought he was a tad disappointing for the 20s last year.
Whatever about this year, thereā€™s gonna be a serious scrap for forward places next year when Oā€™Brien and Oā€™Connor have bedded in. The 7 in a row is on cc @Locke

1 Like

Iā€™d only be going on what Iā€™ve seen of him. He looks like exactly the sort of player thatā€™ll thrive under kiely.

The step up takes a long time.

If he doesnā€™t (and it looks like he doesnā€™t to me) do you try and reinvent him as something else, because he has a lot of great qualities. A half forward perhaps.

1 Like