Limerick GAA 2022 - Dual Kings (Part 1)

It was perfectly delivered, I suspect even @Breaking_my_balls chucked at that

It was superb in fairness, a great quip

It always gives me a little boost getting a like from a jaded oul internet warhorse such as yourself.

In fairness itā€™s not really un-common going against your own club, just off the top of my head.

Sean Stack: Toomevara & Na Piarsaigh vs Sixmilebridge

Mark Foley coaching the well against Adare.

Cregan against Limerick in the biggest possible match you could ask.(county I know)

Sitting at home Iā€™m thinking no I couldnā€™t possibly go against my own club but Iā€™d say if you were on the sideline that could quickly change & you might want to beat your own club more than any other match youā€™ve been involved in. Your ego might get the better of you & show them what theyā€™re missing!

1994 affected Eamon Cregan a lot. He could never reconcile it and to this day dislikes speaking about it.

Being directly involved with another club through coaching etc against your own club is slightly different in that youā€™ve given the commitment to the other club and are almost duty bound to do your best, and Iā€™m sure I absolutely would if ever found in that position. Again though, thereā€™s a way to do it, dignified and respectful etc

Like, I never said Iā€™d be above in the stand roaring and bawling against my sonā€™s team either if they were playing against my own club, I just couldnā€™t actively shout for them. That reasoned and measured and dignified approach seems to have sent a few lads over the edge as I wouldnā€™t call my own crowd a shower of cunts with froth at the mouth etc

1 Like

I donā€™t see anything writing with that bit. Itā€™s the choosing your club over your kid when it comes to result is the weird bit even sat watching it in silence

1 Like

Lads advocating supporting a different club against their own club just because their son is playing. Wtf?

1 Like

I donā€™t see why itā€™d be so wrong. Again, once you wouldnā€™t be loud about it.

Seeing as you presented a few scenarios of your own. Say you played, coached and were administratively involved etc, actively involved in your club since a child, later you fundraised, development of facilities etc. You move to the nearby town and have sons and do the right thing and get involved in coaching and running of the new club, their club. Yes, it becomes your new club or a kind of second club now through your kids, Iā€™ll accept that.

Fast forward 20 years and a Senior Final between the 2 clubs. Surely the approach Iā€™ve suggested above is acceptable, to respectfully not openly take sides and to privately wish your home club would finally gent over the line.

Canā€™t see the problem to be honest.

Young lads traveling 30 minutes up the road to play for a club way outside of their own parish boundaries would seem absurd.

I think the father should sit on the fence here if he still plays for the former club but heā€™s unlikely to have any emotional attachment to the sporting fortunes of a group of U12ā€™s he doesnā€™t know.

I think thatā€™s worse than the scenario Iā€™ve outlined but hey :man_shrugging: Every situation is very different though, Iā€™d be slow to judge without knowing the facts etc

Thereā€™s a lot of borders where you could have a host of clubs alright. It would be difficult to go against your own though. The respectful, dignified approach is best as you outlined above. Quietly hope for your son to win because by the time heā€™s senior very few of your former teammates will still be playing.

Cc: Damien Cahalane

Ordinarily Iā€™d agree, but Castlehaven couldnā€™t survive without the ex pats, tiny remote clubs get a pass, an Gaeltacht as well

Look, maybe if it ever came to it Iā€™d feel differently, as I said above itā€™s a hypothetical scenario, maybe when it really boiled down to it Iā€™d privately want the new crowd to win. Iā€™d currently find that hard to fathom though.

Easiest solution is for the 6 brothers to build on sites in their home farm or within the parish. Build a serious legacy within the club!

Doesnā€™t matter if loud or quiet about it. Only person that matters in it all is your kid/s and youā€™re telling them some things are more important than family.

Different approach but each to his own.

Club hurling is very different now. Many kids are playing for clubs their parents didnā€™t play for and their kids will play for different clubs as well.

It takes the sting out of it.

Sorry, didnā€™t respond to your scenario.

I genuinely find it difficult to think Iā€™d take the happiness of my club at the expense of my kidā€™s defeat. I donā€™t care if Iā€™m 3rd generation club captain. It gets parked when your own are there to be supported. Family first and always.

Iā€™d support my old club at each and every other level mind you. I might even be slagging him in the build up saying Iā€™m backing my one true club. But if I have one of my own take the pitch, I am all in on him with not an ounce of equivocation or minuteā€™s consideration.

I honestly canā€™t see how it could be considered your way. Nothing trumps family, as simple as that for me. Heā€™s mine and Iā€™ll back him to the hilt

1 Like

I suppose Iā€™m thinking Iā€™d be able to separate the sport from the ā€œfamily trumps allā€ aspect as I wouldnā€™t view not roaring for him from the stand for one game as a betrayal, and Iā€™d be disappointed if he saw it that way. Perhaps your right, if it came to it that family instinct would maybe take overā€¦ maybeā€¦

1 Like

Theyā€™re in different divisions but would meet a good bit at underage in both codes. Little enough between them really.

1 Like