Limerick GAA 2022 - Dual Kings (Part 1)

Those 3 would be about the same as whoever wins Tipp as well

Split Ballygunner in two

Less experienced teams or teams winning their first county or winning their first one in a good while don’t tend to have much focus on subsequent games (I think, by and large, obviously there’s exceptions). I’d say Doon wouldn’t be too hectic in Munster if they won. The well might be a bit more motivated.

1 Like

I don’t think that’s overly true. Borris-Ileigh and Ballyea both did alright on their first go in a long time/ever

Na P too. Perhaps I’m completely wrong so.

Patrickswell should be gunning for it this year.

3 Hall of Famers and a decent supporting cast. They really let themselves down in Walsh Park two years ago.

I presume Kilmallock are finished?

They’re an example of my earlier generalisation which has possibly fallen flat on its face immediately. Agree, they should be. Kilmallock slipped to fourth place in most peoples’ minds but I wouldn’t write them off.

That wasn’t this current crop from Patrickswell’s first go at it either in Munster which made it all the more disappointing.

But all joking aside, the actual standard of club hurling in Limerick has never been higher. Now, you would expect that, as standards should always increase.

There is a definite gap between the very top teams in senior & the rest, it’d be nice to see a more equitable Championship. But Na Piarsaigh are a club side who should have a realistic target of winning the All-Ireland every year, alongside the likes of Ballyhale, Cuala, Ballygunner. They may or may not actually win the Championship but they have an unbelievable depth of quality players.

But outside of those teams, I don’t think ourselves, Liberties, Monaleen, etc. would challenge for a county title in any of the other Munster counties but I don’t think we’d be getting relegated either.

Trying to judge between counties is almost impossible anyway, because the only barometer you have is challenges and challenges are a long, long way off Championship.

2 Likes

Surely Patrickswell would be the only of the other 3 that would have a chance of beating Na Piarsaigh. I thought Doon would have been put off hurling by the bateing NaP gave them last year

Doon will have Richie English and Adam English to add to last year and O’Donovan was injured back then too.

Na Piarsaigh down at least one Casey and possibly two this year.

Yeah, just the four players in John Kiely’s 26. We’re fucked.

Doon were missing Richie & DOD, as well as Adam English, a scoring forward whose value cannot be underrated.

They have also added arguably the best coach on the club scene.

And NaP down the Caseys.

Doon have a good few up and coming young players

Fair enough, remember that English lad from minor/u20 last year alright. Who is the coach?

English scored 1-6 from play for the 20s against Clare this year as an 18yo. Well-marshalled by Cork the second day but he’s an unbelievable talent and I think he’ll make an impact straightaway at senior.

Jimmy Quilty is their coach this year. Now, when they have so many county players and whatever system they play is dependent on them, it’s probably hard to implement that properly in their absence. But he is very good, very tactically astute.

1 Like

Had forgotten that Peter Casey got injured as well. That’s a massive loss to NaP

Doon will win fuck all.

Ah it’s huge. They have loads of class players but he’s the one that you’d be like “oh fuck, how are you supposed to mark him?”

Teams have done a job on the likes of Breen, Dempsey, Downes etc. before but there’s very few backs in the county that could mark Peter Casey.

If Dowling isn’t playing either you may as well forget about Na Piarsaigh.