Limerick GAA 2022 - Dual Kings (Part 1)

PJ should do us all a favour and buy out munster and wind it up. Rubby should be club and amateur. The best s&c and psychological people should be resourced to getting the 3 in a row. The Job isn’t done

1 Like

Senior A Group 1
Na Piarsaigh (1/2)
Kilmallock (13/2)
Ballybrown (33/1)

Na Piarsaigh (1/6) vs Kilmallock (4/1)

Na Piarsaigh obviously massive favourites for the county title again, but with the Caseys out, there is a vulnerability there. But will anybody be good enough to catch them? Kilmallock caught them last year and beat them in the group game; it was a lacklustre performance from NaP but they regrouped and walked the rest of their games tbh. Kilmallock are not going well, got bate by Sarsfields in their most recent challenge and are there to be caught if Ballybrown are good enough.

But are Ballybrown good enough? Started really well, got to a league final, but were beaten well by Adare on the night. They were missing a load that day after a Covid scare, but got a right hammering off Liam Mellowes the other night too. Bit of a fallout internally too, with Ger Bradley who was coaching them, leaving recently. A lot of people tipping Ballybrown to beat the Balbec despite this, but I think Kilmallock will have enough to edge it. We’ll know more after this weekend, I don’t see Na Piarsaigh not getting the win tbh.

Senior A Group 2
Patrickswell (9/2)
Doon (6/1)
Ahane (25/1)

Patrickswell (4/7) vs Doon (13/8)

Doon will be very disappointed after last year’s county final defeat, but I think are great odds to win the county at 6/1. And they are a great price this weekend against the Well. Added from last year’s county final defeat are their two marquee players, Richie English & Darragh O’Donovan, the leaders of the team as well as a player who will be their marquee player in future, Adam English. This fella is the real deal and will make an instant impact. You also have a top coach in Jimmy Quilty. The Well will always be a threat when you have fellas who are almost unmarkable like Aaron & Lynch. Well capable of beating anyone on their day, but Doon only lost by 4 to a full-strength Ballyhale with a presumably still-hungover county contingent. I really rate Quilty, I really rate Adam, I think they’re a great shout and will win this weekend. Ahane are game but won’t win a game.

Senior B Group 1
South Liberties (50/1)
Blackrock (150/1)
Garryspillane (100/1)

South Liberties (1/3) vs Blackrock (5/2)

A lot of interest around Liberties this year, with a couple of signings added to their ranks. Anthony Nash the highest profile obviously but Ken Byrnes from Christians is there aswell as a couple of former Tipp clubmen. They already have a solid base and were quarter-finalists last year, giving Doon a bit of a scare. Blackrock vs the Bouncers is probably the game people really want to see after last year’s “incident”. Bouncers managed to stay up regardless and will be out for revenge. There was a bit of a brawl with a couple of red cards in the league match between the two already this year, and it’d be a match I wouldn’t mind attending, will need a strong referee. The Bouncers probably underachieved last year and had to go back to Donie after all the injuries; they have a lot of really talented players and could definitely beat Liberties but you’d have to fancy Liberties with their new additions.

Senior B Group 2
Adare (20/1)
Monaleen (50/1)
Kildimo/Pallaskenry (40/1)

Adare (1/6) vs Monaleen (4/1)

It’s great being senior, and we’ve been handed a fairly tough draw against probably the two best teams in the section, but we’ll fancy our chances all the same. In this weekend’s game, Adare are massive favourites with the bookies and will feel they are a better team than Senior B. They should have beaten the Well last year, and drew with Doon, and losing to Ahane was a bit of a disaster. They had an unimpressive beginning to the league in the West but scraped past Granagh/Ballingarry, beat a severely-weakened Doon and then hammered a Covid-depleted Ballybrown in the final. So that will have got their confidence up, silverware on board. There are rumours of significant injuries though, and although Monaleen have flattered to deceive at times, I think they are very well set up for an ambush. 4/1 is some price in the circumstances, Monaleen have generally won 3 or 4 matches every year at this grade.

9 Likes

Premier Intermediate Group 1
Mungret/St. Paul’s (5/2)
Murroe/Boher (7/2)
Knockainey (8/1)
Cappamore (10/1)

Knockainey (10/11) vs Cappamore (11/10)
Mungret (8/15) vs Murroe/Boher (7/4)

Mungret had a decent year last year, they beat us in the group and were level with at the second water break but just couldn’t stay with us at the end. They’ll really fancy their chances of going up this year. Cronin is a good coach, and they’ve a few new young lads- Liam Lynch, Barry Duff, Billy Molyneux. Lynch, in particular, should make an instant impact and will add another dimension to their attack where they have been over-reliant on Paul O’Brien at times. Murroe/Boher were a bit unlucky with how things fell in terms of getting relegated, they’ve now lost Seanie Tobin to retirement but there are rumours of discontent in the camp, I don’t think they’ll be going straight back up. Peter Finn is over Knockainey this year; they probably underachieved last year but I think have a right chance of making a semi-final. Cappamore are dogged, always are, but just lack firepower. Knockainey have a few lads like Padraig Barron, Dermot Walsh and the old campaigner, Kirby, who will get you scores as well as younger fellas like the O’Gradys and Pa Reale.

I fancy Mungret & Knockainey this week. Murroe/Boher will be strong favourites versus Knockainey but I think Knockainey could sneak that one to qualify in second place.

Premier Intermediate Group 2
Bruff (3/1)
Glenroe (5/1)
Newcastlewest (15/2)
Dromin/Athlacca (12/1)

Bruff (4/7) vs Glenroe (6/4)
NCW (1/2) vs Dromin/Athlacca (7/4)

Bruff a good price for the county this year. We dismantled them in the semi last year but they weren’t getting the most out of Seanie Finn and were just hurt by Kyle at the very top of his game. They’ve addded a few young fellas, Finn’s younger brother among them, as well as Josh Keating and a few others. Jerry O’Connor from Newtown is over them and I think they have a right chance. They’ve been there or thereabouts every year since they came down and will have no fear of Mungret should they meet in a final.

Who to join them? Glenroe came up and made a semi-final immediately, I think Maurice O’Brien is still over them? Will have young Shaun Moloney involved this year and will fancy their chances again. NCW are just up from intermediate, and have another Hurley in their ranks for 2021, this time Ethan, who is arguably the best of the lot. Under Paul O’Grady & Pa Keane, they are very well set up and in Bryan Nix & Diarmuid Kelly, they have two very dangerous forwards, capable of hurting any team. They really fancy themselves, I think, and will almost expect to get out of the group at the first time of asking. We’ve played them a few times and they are well-organised, hard to beat, and they’ve added that scoring threat in recent years, Ethan will only increase that. Dromin/Athlacca are far from a bad team, Paddy Mac has them as the favourites for relegation. I would fancy them against Cappamore any day to be honest. They’re an aging team but in David Reidy have a marquee forward, a dominant club player who will get enough scores to keep them up and Mike Reidy & David Breen are well able to get scores too. You wouldn’t be surprised if they made a semi-final but might just be hurt by teams with real pace.

Bruff & NCW should win this weekend.

5 Likes

The hardest grade to predict, particularly in the current format, where one bad result could put you in relegation when you may have expected to have a go at winning the county. A few very decent teams were in relegation last year and it’s hard to know where teams are at.

Intermediate Group 1
Bruree (10/3)
Tournafulla (14/1)
Granagh/Ballingarry (10/3)

Bruree (2/5) vs Tournafulla (7/4)

Two of the joint-favourites with the bookies in the same group. G/B were in the relegation final last year, only stayed up by 2 points with Hego missing a penalty and are now favourites to win the title. But in Sean O’Connor, Denis O’Connor, Jack Cagney, David Condron, Darragh Casey; they have enough attacking players to cause the best teams at this grade problems. Bruree struggled at Premier the last few years; they’ve started blooding young fellas and will need that injection of youth if they are to go straight up. The Cronollys are tidy hurlers, they should have Sam Williams & Frankie Barrington involved this year too, and Kieran O’Dea is back, I think. I don’t think they’ll win it out, but they should escape the group. I think Tour could be back in a relegation semi-final but may have the dog to survive again. Bruree to win this weekend.

Intermediate Group 2
Croom (8/1)
Pallasgreen (5/1)
Hospital/Herbertstown (16/1)

Croom (11/8) vs Pallasgreen (4/7)

Longish odds on the Seanie Tobin-coached Croom who have been constant semi-finalists in recent seasons. They were beaten well by NCW last year and maybe they are just that bit too old now. Pallasgreen were disappointing enough last year, there’s still a huge reliance on Malachy & the Fannings but they have that hard edge, they’ll make it very difficult for other teams and I reckon they’ll get out of this group, along with Croom. I wouldn’t write H/H off as much as the bookies, but I think they’ll fall by no more than 2 scores in both matches. Pallasgreen could be a potential winner overall but their price is as 5th favourite. I don’t really know where Pallasgreen are at right now, so hard to be sure about this weekend; I saw Croom and they weren’t spectacular so I’ll give the edge to Pallasgreen.

Intermediate Group 3
Feohanagh/Castlemahon (8/1)
Croagh/Kilfinny (4/1)
Knockaderry (10/1)

Feohanagh/Castlemahon (5/4) vs Croagh/Kilfinny (4/6)

A lot of talk about C/K… just up from junior, have added a league title to their collection, haven’t lost in a long, long time. Will that momentum carry them through? They’re a young team, they move the ball quickly and won’t fear anyone. The Lenihan twins are serious players, Jack is as lively a young forward as is around and the likes of Hickey bring that experience. Tom McMahon probably won’t be back and will be a loss. Now, they have two big west derbies to navigate if they want to even make the knockouts. Theoretically, Feohanagh should be one of the strongest teams but have been badly hit by emigration. The Flanagans are serious players though and they do have a good supporting cast… With the form Seamus has been in with Limerick, you’d expect them to get through here. Knockaderry gave NCW plenty of it last year, they love a typical West battle and won’t be shy of flaking C/K. Feohanagh beat them in the quarters last year, and I’d expect a similar scoreline this year. I’m going to back C/K’s youngsters this weekend, to carry all that momentum in and get the win against a more crafty F/C side.

Intermediate Group 4
Na Piarsaigh 2 (10/3)
Effin (6/1)
Kilmallock 2 (8/1)

Na Piarsaigh (4/5) vs Effin (11/10)

Na Piarsaigh favourites to win it out, and have enough strength to have a real go at it. The only thing is that the absence of the Caseys means the seniors will be dipping into the player pool that the intermediates had last year, and James O’Brien is out with a bad injury. This is the exact same group as last year; Kilmallock beat Effin by a point last year, Effin lost by 3 to NaP. It’s really hard to know where a club’s second team are at but I think Effin will do enough to get through this year. Always hard to judge but I’m going to go with NaP to win this weekend when they should be at their strongest.

3 Likes

Don’t have any odds on the junior, again very hard to predict from the outset. Realistically, will likely be the usual suspects again, Pat’s down from intermediate with the Hegartys. Patrickswell 2 as county finalists last year. Doon 2, Ballyagran, Claughaun, Drom, Killeedy, maybe Templeglantine and Crecora as outside bets. Last year there was a bit of confusion as to whether there was 2 or 3 teams qualifying from the group; I presume it’s 2 again due to Covid?

Junior A Group 1
Patrickswell 2
Mungret/St. Paul’s 2
Doon 2
Feenagh/Kilmeedy
Askeaton
Monaleen 2

Askeaton vs Monaleen
Patrickswell vs Mungret
Doon vs Feenagh/Kilmeedy

I’m writing off Monaleen, simply because our junior Bs beat them. Lots of second teams in this group. The Well will be very strong again and will get through. F/K disappointed not to get through last year, while Doon did make it through before being well-beaten by Croagh. Mungret are decent and will surely be even stronger this year with those young lads added; even if they play Premier Intermediate, it frees up other fellas for junior. Richie Burke is a serious operator at that level, for example. Will Askeaton be better than last year? Surely…

I’ll go for the Well to top it; Doon to join them if it’s only 2 through. If it’s 3, I think Feenagh/Kilmeedy could sneak ahead of Mungret.

This weekend, Askeaton to get off to a flying start. The Well to have enough to see of Mungret. Huge game in the other, F/K coming up against Doon when Doon will likely have everyone. I think that’ll be enough for Doon to get the win.

Junior A Group 2
St. Patrick’s
Monagea
Ahane 2
Garryspillane 2
Kilteely/Dromkeen
St. Kieran’s

Ahane vs Garryspillane
St. Patrick’s vs Monagea
Kilteely/Dromkeen vs St. Kieran’s

Pat’s need to be getting out of this group very handily. I know they have the soccer commitments, but they should be way too good for most of these teams. I’d probably have this as the weakest group tbh. They didn’t have Hegarty Jnr last year and who in the name of God is going to mark Gearoid at junior level? I don’t particularly rate Ahane’s juniors, I think Garryspillane’s juniors have gone back a little, Kieran’s have been incredibly disappointing in recent seasons. Monagea don’t have a whole pile of numbers but I’d expect it to be between them & K/D to go through. With a senior county player like Brian O’Grady as well as fellas like the Aherns, K/D should be well good enough to beat Monagea.

Pat’s top, K/D 2nd, Monagea 3rd.

This weekend, the Bouncers to beat Ahane. Pat’s to lay down a marker against Monagea. K/D to have too much for Kieran’s.

Junior A Group 3
Drom/Broadford
Crecora/Manister
Templeglantine
Caherline
Old Christians
Ballybricken/Bohermore

Old Christians vs Ballybricken/Bohermore
Templeglantine vs Caherline
Dromcollogher/Broadford vs Crecora/Manister

This is my favourite group, 6 first teams, some of whom would really fancy their chances. Firstly, I’m going to write off Christians, I’ve seen them a couple of times (without Kevin Howard) and it’s sad, but they’re in a bad way. Drom/Broadford were county semi-finalists last year but still way too reliant on Derry McCarthy; they need the likes of Damien Burke to really stand up at this level now. Templeglantine & Crecora would be my outside bets for the county title and both in the same group; both have an outstanding young forward and both should be well set up. Alan Kelly is over Templeglantine this year, they were county finalists last year and are apparently going very well… Mark McCarthy is a great bit of stuff in attack. Crecora have CON; he’s a senior intercounty forward, unbelievable talent and again, who will mark him? They were unbeaten in every match he was fit for last year, he got injured and they lost their last two. I think they’ll be very hard to beat this year. Damien Gillane is over Caherline, think he’s a very good coach, but they’re another side who have been very underwhelming in recent seasons, don’t think they have much in the way of young players coming through. Ballybricken are, by all accounts, motoring well. I’d still have them slightly below the likes of D/B & Glantine.

I’m going to go for a bit of a surprise here and say that D/B won’t make the top 2. I could be proven badldy wrong but I’m gonna go for Templeglantine top, Crecora 2nd; D/B 3rd. Caherline to just miss out.

We’ll know a lot more after this weekend in this group. Drom hammered Crecora in the football at the weekend; Drom are clearly taking football season, Crecora are not at all. I think we’ll see a narrow victory for Crecora, but that’ll be a really interesting game on Sunday evening. Glantine to beat Caherline and Ballybricken to score plenty against Christians.

Junior A Group 4
Claughaun
Ballybrown 2
Killeedy
Staker Wallace
Rathkeale
Castletown/Ballyagran

Killeedy vs Staker Wallace
Rathkeale vs Castletown/Ballyagran
Claughaun vs Ballybrown

Even though Claughaun got further than both last year, I think Killeedy & C/B will be the top two in this group. Seasoned junior campaigners, they have enough quality in their ranks to see themselves through this group. Claughaun mainly focusing on football, I believe, although I think they’ve acquired a few players from Christians. That should be enough to see them 3rd. Rathkeale another of the teams who have been way underpar in recent seasons, hard to see that changing. Ballybrown’s second team will be lively but will struggle against the top junior teams. I think the Stakers will struggle but could beat Rathkeale.

Killeedy to top (and ultimately bow out against a less-fancied team in a semi-final) and Ballyagran second. Ballyagran could be a great shout for the county. Claughaun in 3rd.

Killeedy & C/B to dish out hammerings this weekend. Ballybrown & Claughaun will be a really interesting game; Ballybrown have a bye in the senior so could potentially be very strong (although may have a senior challenge). I’m going to tip them to cause an upset this weekend.

20 Likes

Superb write ups @Aristotle :clap::clap:

Great to have it back.

5 Likes

Great work mate

3 Likes

Yes, have been on the missing list myself most of the year, but by all accounts your boy is a big step up (not hard) on the previous incumbent, they have to win this weekend though. Willie can win a junior A game on his own if the mood strikes. Gives you a punchers chance against anyone. They’ll be disappointed if they don’t get out of the group. I wouldn’t expect a whole pile after that though

1 Like

I’d love to see ye get out of the group but if it’s only 2 to proceed, that’s a very tough group.

Is there also talk of Junior for next year being split based on group positions? i.e. top 3 into Premier Junior

I definitely heard talk but don’t think anything has been confirmed?

Ya I don’t actually know that myself if it’s two or three. I’d rather be in our group than some of the others. A lot of second teams, they could be anything, and they could be different things on different days.

Groups 3 & 4 look killer altogether. There’s none of them easy tbf

Was supposed to happen last year, but they didn’t do it with Covid. I’d imagine it will go ahead this year. Be better off in the bottom half. Might win something next year :joy:

It was supposed to happen this year but was put off because of uncertainties over Covid, although they went ahead with it in football alright. That said, football has had an extra year of being all-county to bed in.

It’s definitely in the pipeline alright, although teams should, in fairness, know what they’re playing for before commencing a championship.

Excellent previews above. Maith an fear.

Bet of the weekend has to be the Monaleen/Doon double at 12/1.

It’s a big risk for an opening round game but I think Monaleen are crazy odds.

Is it two or three out of the groups?

Two, far as I know. Three would be very unwieldy unless you gave the group winners byes and played preliminary quarter-finals.

Ya, problem with two out is there’ll be a ball of dead rubbers in a six team group

There will, and some second teams will lose players to the higher grade. Claughaun have a short straw this weekend playing Ballybrown as their seniors have a bye and they can field a team that they probably won’t be able to in the other 4 games.

1 Like

Some counties have a rule whereby a second team can’t play championship before the first team.