Limerick GAA 2022 - Dual Kings (Part 1)

Seems to be 750 across the board. Should cover pretty much all group games at the lower grades, presumably all finals will be in the Gaelic Grounds.

14/24 on the predictions last week. Which is pretty shit to be honest, although draws really fuck you up, and there were 3 of those.

Monaleen were an outside bet but were really really disappointing; the bookies were justified in giving them really long odds. The other senior games went as predicted.

Knockainey were favourites against Cappamore but lost quite badly while Glenroe pipped Bruff at the very end, Bruff having led for the whole match. That makes that group really interesting, you wouldn’t be surprised if NCW beat Glenroe; it’d be a major blow for Bruff & Jerry O’Connor if they didn’t make the semi-final when they should right up there as favourites. Murroe/Boher losing was not any surprise, but perhaps the margin was. Not in a good place.

Two draws in the Intermediate fucked me but those matches were always going to be tight. Went for NaP2 over Effin, probably should have realised that NaP would be significantly weakened, a huge win for Effin there. They’ve a couple of decent young fellas, could be a shout for the county? Bruree got the job done against Tour.

Did slightly better in the junior, probably because there were more mismatch fixtures. Of the close ones, we had a draw between Doon & F/K, got the Well vs Mungret wrong. Got Bouncers vs Ahane right, and Ballybrown vs Claughaun. But then didn’t go for Caherline & Drom, but makes that group very very interesting this coming weekend.

All in all, it might have been a shit start by me prediction-wise, but it was great to have plenty of hurling fixtures. We’re out in action ourselves on Friday, which is great, first ever senior hurling match for the Pallaskenry side of the parish. And with capacity increased, should probably get to a couple more matches too; Garryspillane vs Blackrock the pick.

4 Likes

I was one behind you on 13.

Thursday 9th September

Woodlands House Hotel Junior A Hurling Championship Round 2
Crecora/Mainster v Templeglantine

Friday 10th September

Bons Secours Senior Hurling Championship Round 2
Kildimo/Pallaskenry v Monaleen
Lyons of Limerick Premier Intermediate Hurling Championship Round 2
Glenroe v Newcastle West

Saturday 11th September
County
Bons Secours Senior Hurling Championship Rd 2
Ballybrown v Kilmallock

Murroe/Boher v Knockainy
Cappamore v Mungret/St Pauls

Nick Grene Sportsground Maintenance Intermediate Hurling Championship Round 2
Hospital/Herbertstown v Croom

Staker Wallace v Rathkeale
Ballybricken/Bohermore v Drom/Broadford
Caherline v Old Christians
Feenagh/Kilmeedy v Askeaton
Castletown/Ballagran v Claughaun

Sunday 12th September
County
Bons Secours Senior Hurling Championship Round 2
Garryspillane v Blackrock
Ahane v Patrickswell

Dromin/Athlacca v Bruff

Nick Grene Intermediate Hurling Championship Round 2
Granagh Ballingarry v Tournafulla
Knockaderry v Feohanagh
Kilmallock v Na Piarsaigh

Ballybrown v Killeedy
St Kierans v St Patricks
Garryspillane v Kilteely/Dromkeen
Monagea v Ahane
Mungret/St Pauls v Doon
Monaleen v Patrickswell

(I wouldn’t be sure of Templeglantine, Glenroe, Blackrock, Drom Broadford, Mungret Juniors, Kilteely. Those games are dodgy, and also could see Ballybrown Juniors turn Killeedy over if they don’t lose too many to 1st team, same with Garryspillane Juniors really.)

2 Likes

Askeaton will rattle Feenagh

1 Like

The askeaton confidence is noteworthy.

Ah sure I haven’t a clue really, but we have the hurlers to trouble anyone when it all comes together. Feenagh haven’t exactly set the world on fire the past couple of years.

Do people know whether Limerick rules allow for you to have two teams at the same grade?

I know that in Tipp you can. I always assumed you couldn’t in Limerick, but I don’t know whether the theory has ever had to have been tested.

I think Sixmilebridge had two senior teams back for a year or so back in the late 80s

1 Like

Is there a club with the depth to do it?

Maybe not at senior level, for a few years, although Na Piarsaigh went very close to winning the Intermediate last year (and some people are tipping NCW to win the Premier).

But even at a lower level. Say Doon won the Junior B; would they be allowed have two Junior A teams? It’s far from impossible, they made a county final a few years back iirc.

You can’t have two adult teams in your top grade. One senior team for a senior club.

With senior A & B now and two intermediate divisions it all gets a bit complex. Probably has never been put to the test.

So, theoretically, Doon could have two Junior A teams but Killeedy couldn’t? Because Killeedy’s top team is Junior A.

That’s the way it was explained to me by the great Paddy Verdon. Each club has to grade players at the start of the year so I can’t see how any club could have two teams at any grade except the lowest grade in the county.

So I couldn’t see Doon fielding two Junior A teams. One would surely have to be Junior B.

1 Like

You can do it in the Desmond League :smile:

1 Like

This is correct. Doon won the County Junior B in 2015 I think and they couldn’t go up.

2 Likes

All these scenarios will need looking at as increasing urbanisation will make this more likely , that said the Kiladangan story is remarkable

1 Like

I was thinking Doon surely won Junior B in recent years. :thinking:

I didn’t know that.

Interesting. At the moment, they’re probably the only team that it’s likely to occur for in the short term. Their Junior Bs could be very strong on any given year.

It’s probably a bit off happening at the highest level yet, but could happen at junior level and probably supports the argument for streamlining the junior championships right down to the bottom.

I actually really like the current junior A format even if there are a few mismatches. If they did that at Junior B level, it’d be great.

It could actually be in contravention of General Rule for a county to allow two teams from the same club compete at the same grade. Either way, it’s a ridiculous concept. Imagine a game between both of them when they most likely all train together. It would make a mockery of the integrity of the competition…