Limerick GAA 2022 - Dual Kings (Part 1)

I can’t see this working at all anyway.

They could start it a month later and have the All Ireland Final at roughly the same time as 2021 and there’s still loads of time for club action from mid/late August onwards. This year worked fine.

Bottom line is clubs don’t want championship in July with J1’s, Stags, Weddings, Festivals and Concerts in full swing.

2 Likes

The club championships have been way more enjoyable this year and last. Players know when they have matches, regular games and no long gaps of months on end between games. It’s a no brainer, if done correctly.

The intercounty will still have from January - July to themselves.

I think we will see a championship restructure again off the back of this when counties get used to the fact that a good number of them are finished up for the year in May.

I have no issue with a shorter year and A/Is in July but they will have to find a way to elongate it and have meaningful games for most counties well into June.

2 Likes

Or they could tell inter country managers to fuck off and stop acting like idiots when it comes to players playing for their clubs. A lad can play soccer for his club on Saturday and
His country the next Wednesday.

The notion you need this long inter county season where all the players are in a camp almost is insane.

1 Like

The round robin format is complete nonsense.

I boycotted it in 2019 and will do the same in 2022.

Play the All Ire finals the last 2 wks of July.
Streamline the hurling. Top 2 in each group into the semi finals. N o provincial finals, top of the group are provance winners. No 1/4s, qualifier rounds.

One things for sure if the gaa don’t get bums on their seats they’ll change quickly again.

Sky need their pound of flesh

Bring back the old league format, division 1 and 2 from Jan to Paddy’s day.

Play the provinces whatever way each council sees fit over April and May.

Then have a open draw A/I starting June bank holiday weekend. All ten teams in it or even extend to 12. provincial winners on either side and home advantage in their first match of A/I series. 4 teams from Munster and Leinster finals straight into Q/Fs. Four rounds of straight knockout hurling from June bank holiday weekend and finished up second week of July.

1 Like

Surely this restructure is the end of the sky deal? Epl still in full flow in April plus many big rugby games and the golf too among other sports have major tournaments.

The only reason sky were interested was come June they don’t have much to show.

This is structured to have the big games on in June and July, there’ll be no clash in the business end

1 Like

You’ll have surely about 75 percent of the games in April.

You Will have a soccer World Cup or a European championships every second summer too. This won’t work out well imo for the gaa.

July and august are the best months for inter county gaa.

1 Like

Isn’t the championship basically starting a week early so nobody will be out 3 weeks in a row

I think the GAA will reassess everything on the last week in July next year when the main TV coverage will be Raheny vs Ballyboden in front of 40 people in Parnell Park.

1 Like

The 2021 format suited Limerick fine. The 2018 format with more games is good too. I think that was one of the best hurling championships that we’ve had in a long time.

I’d say they should go with the 2018 format as they’re doing. If its wrapped up in July. Thats gives the clubs a fair window , which is what everyone wants really.

You could argue the first Sunday in September thing is a bit of a cod anyway.

The round robin has to be a big concern for Limerick, who’ve won absolutely everything since it stopped

1 Like

The round robin is great… More games. More games in smaller venues.

1 Like

The club championship games are largely being played in winter and were played in a abridged format this year . That is not sustainable .

The inter county behemoth has to be controlled . It was the tail wagging the dog .

2 Likes

In terms of revenue the club is a flea on the tail