Limerick GAA 2022 - Dual Kings (Part 1)

We in C/K voted against a Divisional side. Purely self preservation, we don’t want our best players coming back crocked. We also looked at it from the point of view of clubs who are new to senior ranks - Kildimo and Mungret. They’ve been busting their bollox to get to the top grade, and then to see a Divisional side parachuted in only one game before the quarters, personally I wouldn’t be too impressed if I was one of those clubs. It’s detrimental to the smaller senior clubs really.

Definitely is and I think the purpose of the Divisional sides in a county like Limerick where there is no history of them participating is to give lads a shot at making inter county teams, but with the academy structures here I don’t think it’s really relevant.

No idea but it at least goes back to the 30s if not earlier. Probably a fairly mundane reason, maybe they were too chape to pay for fancy crests with a design on it. I guess if they had filled it in it would have been the red city crest with the castle on it, I think the green and white striped one is a relatively recent invention.

Exactly. If a lad at a junior or intermediate club is good enough he’ll stand out at underage level and will be drafted in. Even if he’s a late developer he will get his chance. The likes of O’Neill, Flanagan, Reidy are all from small clubs yet it did their county prospects no harm.

I think prior to the academy’s it would have been a great idea but was tried and failed i think.

Not a total failure, in that Emmets from the south got to a county final in 2010 I think. How many players did Limerick get off that side? Richie McCarthy, Stephen Fox, Nickie Quaid, who else?

I’d say McCarthy and Quaid may have got through regardless

1 Like

Being picked for any representative team is a nice honour for any player,
Most of the lads who are picked for these aren’t anywhere approaching the county teams and this is their limit, but you’ll occasionally find a late developer as well.
It’s been a ‘problem’ in Cork for a long time because of the success of divisions from time to time, I don’t see that happening in Limerick but it could be the case down the road

Cian Lynch red card in the Fitzgibbon final rescinded.

Hopefully the county team will catch a break from Fergal Horgan and the other refs at some stage this year.

1 Like

It was all going along grand until Emmets got good, then they gave a walkover one year and the clubs used it as a pretext to get rid of them. There’s pros and cons really. Maybe the thing to do would be have a standalone divisional tournament or something, but it would probably be tough to get buy in from players to that.

1 Like

Wouldn’t count on it mate, Fergal in particular seems to have it in for us. To help his best friend down in Waterford no doubt

Ah I wouldn’t say that, Fergal is the best in the business and when championship arrives he’ll still be. I can’t recall a championship match where he “done” us tbh? He does all of our challenge matches and is said to have a very good relationship with Kiely and the players.

Fergal is the best ref out there. It is no coincidence that many of the better games over the past few years have been officiated by him.

He’s not perfect. No one who takes the pitch is. He will make mistakes. Just a lot less than others.

3 Likes

Cleere and antnee Nash were the problems

2 Likes

Fergal went through a rough patch in his refereeing career between mid 2018 and early 2020, (the 2018 semi final replay in Thurles and the Ballyhale v Slaughtneil Club semi final probably bookending it), but he’s really gathered himself together again in recent times and is back to his best.

I do think Tyler Walsh is the best in the business and will go down as the best ever by the time he’s finished on his current trajectory.

@Gary_Birtles_Lovechi can you see if you can get the TFK patented Under 25 non county panellists divisional championship onto the agenda at the County Board meetings.

1 Like

Scheduling is always going to be the problem.

I don’t know how they manage it in other counties but in Limerick, the lower grades have the same structure as the senior Championship which means that teams are already out these weekends. So you’re asking players to play two matches on the same weekend?

I don’t know if there is a need or a desire for it really.

Exactly. Lads going around about Fergal having it in for us just because he sent off a player for thumping a Hurley multiple times to the neck is a bit odd. Besides, he had it coming a long time. Maybe now he will learn

3 Likes

Oh I bet he does.

2 Likes

He’s driving a fine car too, Fergal is, fair play to him, whatever it is he does for a living