Limerick GAA 2022 - Dual Kings (Part 1)

No more looking to CON, might force them to step up

Just my opinion but OLeary at corner back will get ate, surely Scuully to CB, Hurley ag WBand Quilty stay at CB, bring in Reale at MF. My opinion

I’m surprised Reale isn’t starting but they were slow bringing him on the last day.

Donal Lenihan: Dreaming of a special Munster night at Páirc Ui Chaoimh

Watching Limerick’s beasts in green at the same venue last weekend left me wondering how they had escaped the clutches of Munster

It was instructive to watch the mightily impressive Limerick hurling machine dismantle Cork with an intoxicating mix of power, precision, pace and skill, reminiscent of the very best Kilkenny delivered in Brian Cody’s trophy-laden reign. Apart from that, I couldn’t help but be impressed by the sheer size and quality of athlete on display in green.

Seated within touching distance of the players in the lower south stand (courtesy of Dr Con), I looked at the likes of Kyle Hayes, Dan Morrissey, Diarmuid Byrnes, William O’Donoghue and Gearóid Hegarty and wondered how these monstrous beasts had grown up in Limerick and somehow avoided the clutches of Munster Rugby.

A day before in Thomond Park, Munster lined out in a crucial Champions Cup tie without a single Limerick forward in the starting pack or amongst the six sprung from the bench. This has been bothering me for some time and is an issue I find both strange and worrying given that, in all the successful Munster teams of the past, at least half the forward unit hailed from the Treaty City.

Six of Munster’s starting pack on Saturday, along with three more sprung from the bench, grew up playing rugby in the Rebel County. How Cork manager Kieran Kingston could have done with a few of those to add a bit of steel to the hurling cause. The manner in which some of the Cork players appeared resigned to their fate in the closing phase of the game was be a big worry. That said, watching this imperious Limerick hurling machine in full flow was a sight to behold.

1 Like

Those boys are far too talented and skillful to be grunting around in the muck and shit

19 Likes

Yer man O’Gara nailed it in an article after the 2020 final.

Munster would be winning things if they had the likes of Graeme Mul & Mike Casey playing for them. Winners.

Caroline Currid has some task on her hand to make Munster great again.

2 Likes

Ref has blown two throws already, one for Limerick, one for Cork. Both result in scores.

English took a great ball from a puckout, shot caught over the crossbar by the keeper. Coughlan got a great score from the throw-in.

0-2 to 0-2 after 3 mins.

Press on the Cork short puckout not good enough yet.

Doing well on our own.

Level again. Great score, turned them over, worked the ball from Quilty to Hurley to Coughlan, straight over the black spot.

Decent contest.

Superb from Evan O’Leary there; prevented a goal chance even though Cork had an extra man. Didn’t commit until the Cork forward took the shot, got the block down and the covering back forced them into a wide when they went for a point.

Working hard.

1 Like

Super score from English :clap:

Racking them up now.

Donnacha is an unheralded player, but he is destroying Cork with his movement and is finding the support player. Absolute class from Aido there.

Scully some yoke in defence. Half-back line & midfield on top when Cork forced long.

2 Likes

Scores like buses now. Cork puckout has been woeful at times.

I was just about to post it was a shame to let Cork into it before half time, but they kicked on again in a big way

Aidan O’Connor is beating them on his own.

Some half.

Putting serious pressure on Cork when they go long; half-back line strong under a high ball and Quilty & Sweeney very good on the breaks. Scully is a serious bit of stuff. And Coughlan has three points from play from distance, Byrnes-esque.

Really like Stokes at HF too, he’s a serious workhorse. Aido & Adam showing a bit of class when they do get it, Adam probably could be more involved, still would like to see him inside at FF, because he’d get goals.

Donnacha’s movement is causing them serious problems and he’s getting on loads of ball even if he isn’t going to rack up massive tallies himself, he’s set up loads. SOB & Kirby having slightly quieter games.

Really impressive. Chanley’s puckouts too are very good. Lovely trajectory on the strike.

2 Likes

Brilliant response to the Cork goal. SOB wins the puckout, Sweeney straight over the bar. Had two players free coming through the middle.

Aidan O’Connor is thriving on the 40.