Limerick GAA 2023-2024.... 5 in a row is not here (Part 4)

QF 5/6 October I think. SF probably the week after. Think the final is down for 26/27

Bruff really need a win in tonights game

Yes 12/13th for last four. Fortnight then for Doon and Patrickswell to get the bunting up.

Matt o Callaghan saying they are bringing in relegation semi finals in the senior football next year.

I’m a bit late with this one, missed a couple of matches in the round but here goes. DIdn’t have a spectacular run of predictions in the last round with 21/27. It’s not absolutely terrible but definitely got caught by a couple of shocks, including Adare’s win over Ballybrown, Castletown/Ballyagran only drawing with the Bouncers’ second team and Drom/Broadford beating Caherline.

4/5 in Senior
3/4 Premier Intermediate
6/6 Intermediate
4/6 Premier Junior
4/6 Junior A

But this is it for the group stages in Senior, Intermediate and both Junior grades. Premier Intermediate will have one final round after this but this is do-or-die for a lot of teams. One last chance to keep their season alive or to avoid the dreaded relegation play-off.

Senior A

Sunday September 22
Ahane vs Doon @ 4pm in Cappamore
Kilmallock (11/8) vs Patrickswell (4/6) @ 4pm in Mick Neville Park
Mungret/St. Paul’s vs Na Piarsaigh @ 4pm in Kilmallock

I’ve talked about do-or-die but our top tier is the one grade where there is absolutely nothing to play for. Definitely a quirk of the fixtures to some degree as there isn’t even a quarter-final/semi-final doubt. The Well & Kilmallock somehow has made it to TG4 even though the result has no overall impact with Doon & Na Piarsaigh already guaranteed semi-final spots and Mungret doomed to relegation. It’s already been discussed to death here so I won’t go into it any further. No point over-complicating the predictions here either. How do you accurately predict what are essentially dead rubbers? There is pride on the line, for sure, people fighting for jerseys, etc. but it’s just not the same as knockout Championship.

Doon are through, Ahane have caught a team in the past on the final day when they were already through and I’m sure they’ll want to prove a point but Doon have been motoring extremely well and I’ll back them to win by 5.

Kilmallock vs the Well is hard to call; neither have been at their best. I’m a little surprised to see that the Well are favourites with the bookies to be honest. They were more impressive in their win over Mungret, for sure, but Kilmallock were a lot more impressive in their win over Ahane than the Well were. Kilmallock ended up losing by 9 the last day to Na Piarsaigh which was probably a slightly harsh scoreline but as they approach full-strength, they’ll fancy a crack off them again. I’m going to go with the Balbec to edge this one by 2.

As it has been for other teams, a steep learning curve for Mungret up from Senior B and a very hard way to finish against the champions. Again, they’ll want to do themselves justice by delivering a performance more akin to the first two games than the latter two. Na Piarsaigh seem to be getting stronger and stronger and with Adrian Breen introduced from the bench the last day, they’re now just waiting on Peter Casey. I’ll go with Na Piarsaigh by 12.

Senior B

Sunday September 22
Adare (1/2) vs South Liberties (7/4) @ 1.45pm in Fedamore
Ballybrown (2/7) vs Dromin/Athlacca (11/4) @ 1.45pm in Claughaun
Kildimo/Pallaskenry (7/4) vs Monaleen (1/2) @ 1.45pm in Mungret

But this is where the action really lies on Sunday, something to play for in each of the games and they are not easy to call in my opinion. Adare vs Liberties is a straight relegation final, with a draw enough for Adare to stay up. Both sides pulled results out of the bag in the last round, Barry Nash led South Liberties to a draw in what was, let’s face it, a dour enough against us. And it was Adare’s talisman, Declan Hannon, who inspired them to a massive win over Ballybrown. He’s scored 3-16 in their last two games, 3-4 of that from play, in at full-forward and it almost seems as if they’ve stumbled across the winning formula. Liberties have a goal threat but haven’t been racking up huge tallies really. Bar an outlier of hitting 20 point against Ballybrown, they have scored 8, 10 & 12 points in their other games. Adare haven’t been great but they have been scoring more than that. I think Liberties do want to make it a dogfight and I think they are well-capable of that. A big wind, dirty wet conditions, these are things that would definitely suit Liberties in my opinion. Nash is an elite level forward (probably will be picked up by Ronan Connolly) and the likes of Ben Compton, Shane Brosnan and Barry Cooney have been going well too. Is there any hope of Tom Ryan being back? I was told they would have two additional players back for this game but I have no idea who they are. I don’t think Adare have anyone else to come but found their form in the last game as they blitzed Ballybrown. I think in an open game of hurling, Adare do win, in a real battle, Liberties have a chance. I give Liberties a much bigger chance than most but I suppose I’ll edge towards Adare on the basis of Mr. Hannon. Adare by 4.

Two fairly disappointing performances in a row from Ballybrown but they are still in pole position to go up to the Senior A group. A win would do it, any other result would leave them hoping. A loss could easily put them out so they can’t take anything for granted against a decent Dromin/Athlacca side. They threw away a fairly sizeable lead against Adare and have reached the bare bones of their panel. Aidan is doing a lot of their scoring generally but Luke O’Connor has also hit 2-9 from play. It’s in the backs that they are really short though with Stevie O’Reilly coming out of retirement to help shore up the backline after James Coughlan’s injury and Kyle Loftus returning to Australia, on top of all the absentees they had from the start of the year. Dromin/Athlacca won their first two games but have since suffered back-to-back defeats. A quarter-final spot is still a definite possibility for them if they do win but you’d have to say that being comfortably safe with a couple of games to go is already a fairly decent success. David Reidy is top scorer in Championship so far with 3-43 with Daniel Scully & Jack Fitzgibbon the main fellas helping him in the scoring charts. D/A are a young side and they do rely on the experience of the two Reidys in a big way; they did just fade in the last 10-15 minutes in both of their last two games. Ballybrown are a bit more experienced at this grade and I think they are just a slight step above D/A, although they will need to find their form from the first two games if they want to win. I’ll go with Ballybrown by 3.

Our match against Monaleen is a straight shootout for a quarter-final spot, with a draw being enough for them. We’ve had similar results, both beating D/A & Adare but Monaleen comfortably beat Liberties while we only had a draw; neither side played at all well against Ballybrown. So the bookies have made Monaleen favourites, as they have better form coming into the game and the form of Ó’Dálaigh has to give them a lot of confidence. 2-15 from play puts him right up there as one of the top scorers from play in Championship and it has been a tough task for anybody to mark him so far. Lorcan Lyons, in particular, has also been in superb form in the half-back line and Matthew Fitzgerald & Dara Ferland are both having fine impacts in their first seasons of adult hurling. For us, we have looked good at times when our young players have clicked but we were uninspired after Kyle went off injured the last day. Davy Fitzgerald has been strong at centre-back, Rob O’Farrell always a threat in his first taste of adult hurling and Seánie Hartigan has probably been the best impact sub in the entire grade, grabbing 1-6 in less than 60 minutes of hurling. Fairly even on paper in my opinion… we’ll see how it goes.

3 Likes

Premier Intermediate

Thursday September 19
Bruff vs Na Piarsaigh 2 @ 7.30pm in Mick Neville Park

Saturday September 21
Blackrock vs Granagh/Ballingarry @ 2pm in Kilmallock
Garryspillane vs Glenroe @ 3pm in Kilfinane

Sunday September 22
Effin vs Newcastlewest @ 4.15pm in Feenagh

Missed the game tonight but Bruff did what they had to do against Na Piarsaigh, who now know that they face into a game against Glenroe in the re-fixed fixture which will probably be a straight relegation decider thanks to the head-to-head rule. It moves Bruff to eight points which might be enough for them as they have already beaten both Blackrock & Granagh/Ballingarry.

Speaking of those two sides, they face each other on Saturday afternoon. Winner still has a chance of a semi-final spot, the loser will be safe but will have nothing to play for going into the last round. Currently, both are on four points and have very similar results. Blackrock are definitely more experienced at this grade, county finalists last year, and have been a bit unlucky with some of the results that went against them. G/B had a poor start but have got stronger as the year progressed and their victory over Garryspillane is one of the results of the season. This one is going to be very tight and I just fancy G/B to edge it by the slimmest of margins; G/B by 1.

It’s been a terrible year so far for Glenroe; winless after five matches. Na Piarsaigh’s loss tonight means that, bar two wins in their other games, Glenroe will know that they cannot lose to Na Piarsaigh in their last fixture or it’s goodbye to their Premier Intermediate status. But, much like Adare & South Liberties who were in a similar position in the senior in the last round, they will want some sort of form going into that relegation decider. But they only hit 0-11 the last day against Blackrock, 1-12 before that against Bruff and just 0-7 against Effin. That’s not good scoring. The Bouncers had a great start, lost their way a bit but dished out a hammering to Bruff which will have been a huge boost to their confidence. Scoring 4-17 and coming up against a side who have been very restricted in their scoring, it’s very hard to go for anything than a Garryspillane win. It will push them up to eight points too if they do it with the other relegation-threatened side, Na Piarsaigh, still to play. Not a bad position to be in, Garryspillane by 13.

And the top two face-off in Feenagh on Sunday which will almost certainly be a better watch than any of the Senior A games. NCW are the only 100% side at this grade, Effin lost their first game by a point but have won the rest. A really intriguing encounter as the form player at this grade, Paddy O’Donovan, goes up against the meanest defence. Ethan Hurley is out for the townies but they have made scoring against them very difficult and have a nice spread themselves, not reliant on any one player. Really looking forward to this one as a neutral, I suppose I have to go with NCW, with the form they’ve been in. NCW by 2.

Intermediate Group 1

Saturday September 21
Bruree vs Murroe/Boher @ 1pm in Fedamore
Croagh/Kilfinny vs Pallasgreen @ 1pm in Ballybrown
Mungret/St. Paul’s 2 vs St. Kieran’s @ 1pm in Askeaton

Oddly, the only thing to be decided in this group is who goes through in third place. Bruree are one of those in contentions but have a tough ask as, to guarantee a spot, they need at least a point against 100% Murroe/Boher. Bruree were not impressive in their victory over Kieran’s but they got the job done. It could very well come down to scoring difference. Bruree are currently -8 whereas Mungret are -17 but have a Kieran’s side already guaranteed to be in a relegation play-off to play. M/B are already in a semi-final and would have to be strong favourites for this. On the flip side, sometimes sides take their eye off the ball when they have absolutely nothing to play for whereas Bruree will be doing everything to get something. They’ve played each other quite a bit recently and the results were polarised. With M/B’s form, you’d probably have to give them the edge. M/B by 5.

Pallasgreen avoid the relegation play-off but can’t qualify for a quarter-final, they have absolutely nothing to play for. It’s similar for C/K but at least they are still looking forward to a quarter-final. After their opening day defeat, they have racked up some massive scores and you’d back them to do the same again. C/K by 8.

And the other match with a lot riding on it, Mungret’s second team take on St. Kieran’s. As mentioned already, Kieran’s are bottom and in the relegation play-off, no matter what. Mungret absolutely have to win; if they don’t, Bruree go through ahead of them. If Bruree get any result, Mungret are out. If, as expected, Bruree lose to M/B; then, Mungret need to win and overturn a scoring difference of 9. That is very popular considering the circumstances in both matches. Bruree only beat Kieran’s by two in the last game and it’s not as if Mungret have been particularly free-flowing but if conditions are any way good, you’d nearly back them to get the job done. Mungret by 6.

Intermediate Group 2

Saturday September 21
Croom vs Feohanagh @ 1pm in Ballingarry
Cappamore vs Knockainey @ 4pm in Ballybrown
Hospital/Herbertstown vs Kilmallock 2 @ 4pm in Bruff

A lot more to play for in the other group as, I think (I could be wrong), all teams could still make a quarter-final, depending on results in this round and three could still end up in the relegation play-off against Kieran’s. One thing we do know is that Feohanagh are through to a semi-final, no matter what. I think they’re actually down a few players for this one but are expecting to be bolstered in time for the semi-final again. The former is good news for Croom, who pulled an amazing win out of the bag against Cappamore in round 3 but a relegation play-off is still a possibility. They’ve won this type of game in the past and Feohanagh are down a few… I wouldn’t be surprised if they sneaked it but I’m going to go with the team in form. Feohanagh by 4.

Cappamore can eliminate all of the uncertainty if they even get a draw against Knockainey. Any result for Cappamore would put them into the quarter-final alongside Knockainey, regardless of what happens elsewhere. But their form hasn’t been spectacular; they lost to the same Croom side that Knockainey put four goals past in the last round. I wouldn’t be surprised if Cappamore ended up in the quarter-final even if they lost, they are in pole position but I do think Knockainey will get the win in this one. Knockainey by 5.

That would mean that H/H vs Kilmallock would decide the fate of the group. If Cappamore do lose, then both Kilmallock & H/H are praying for Croom to win as they would both be beaten by Cappamore on a straight head-to-head. That’s for the winner, obviously, the loser of this fixture would be in the relegation play-off in that scenario. If Croom do lose, both of these sides would be safe even with a loss in the game as they both have Croom on head-to-head. And they will know that going into the game, so really they have nothing to lose by just throwing everything at it. It’s a must-win for both sides. Kilmallock have lost another couple of players recently and H/H pulled out a super win in the last round last year, I’ll back them to do the same this year. H/H by 4.

4 Likes

Premier Junior Group 1

Sunday September 22
AK Desmonds vs Drom/Broadford @ 1pm in Newcastlewest
Caherline vs Monagea @ 1pm in Adare
Feenagh/Kilmeedy vs Tournafulla @ 1pm in Dromcollogher

Two spots well and truly up for grabs in this group with top & bottom spot already-decided. Drom/Broadford are one of the teams who have a quarter-final spot in their sights. Desmonds are already in the relegation play-off and, on that basis, you’d have to fancy the team who have more to play for (although AK did put in a very credible performance with very little to play for versus F/K). D/B by 3.

Both these sides were in great positions and will be desperately disappointed with their defeats in the last round when they would have been heavy favourites. It means this match is absolutely cut-throat. While, theoretically, a draw could put both sides through if results elsewhere went their way, that is unlikely. They will both be hoping that F/K do get the job done against Tour, at least. I was really impressed with Monagea’s results prior to the loss to Tour; I had thought they had been that bit more impressive than Caherline (who actually beat Tour). But I will go with Monagea to just about edge it. Monagea by 2.

Tour have the hardest job as they have to go and win against a F/K side who have looked almost unbeatable so far. F/K are already through to a semi-final no matter what and Tour will be hoping they take their eye off the ball (and they did only beat bottom side, AK Desmonds, by 4 in the last round, having hammered everyone else). But I don’t see F/K making the same mistake twice to be honest and I think they are just better than Tour, sadly for them. F/K by 9.

If those predictions go like that, D/B & Monagea would join F/K in the knockout stages.

Premier Junior Group 2

Wednesday September 18
Doon 2 vs Kilteely/Dromkeen @ 8pm in St. Pat’s

Sunday September 22
Crecora/Manister vs St. Patrick’s @ 12pm in Kilteely
Knockaderry vs Old Christians @ 12pm in the Bog Garden

I missed the predictions for the match on Wednesday but I don’t think I’d have predicted Doon to beat the previously-unbeaten K/D. So that was definitely interesting but, it’s like I’ve said for a few of these other predictions, the team with nothing to play for can be caught. K/D are top anyway, it’s who will join them that is interesting, Doon cannot make a quarter-final either but ensured their safety with that win.

C/M vs Pat’s looks like a straight shootout with a draw being enough for Crecora. It could be billed as Cathal O’Neill vs Gearóid Hegarty… there’s a lot more to both sides than that but they are the two big names of the junior grade and they go head-to-head in a match that has a lot riding on it. They could even theoretically end up marking each other with Hego lining out at centre-back so far and CON lining out in the forwards. But who has the better supporting cast? I do like this C/M team, I backed them last year and they didn’t deliver but they are young and promising; baby Hego is going really, really well for Pat’s (there are even some whispers of a senior intercounty call-up) but I’m still going to go with C/M by 3. Should be some game though.

Theoretically, Pat’s could still end up in a relegation play-off if they lose to C/M, Christians beat Knockaderry and the score difference swings enough. Again, Knockaderry are already through no matter what so maybe they are there to be got at by a desperate Christians side. But I really like how Knockaderry have turned things around in impressive fashion despite losing in the opening round and I fancy them to continue their winning run. Knockaderry by 6.

Junior A Group 1

Saturday September 21
Ballybricken/Bohermore vs Castletown/Ballyagran @ 5.30pm in Martinstown
Blackrock 2 vs Rathkeale @ 5.30pm in Feenagh
Garryspillane 2 vs Patrickswell 2 @ 5.30pm in Bohermore

This group has caught me a couple of times and there are some interesting fixtures this weekend. B/B need a whole host of things to go their way to progress, which is very disappointing for them considering they would have been one of the favourites to win this grade after their displays last year. But while they need things to go their way elsewhere, they have to beat C/B first and foremost. C/B drew with the Bouncers the last day but are still definitely top. I wouldn’t be surprised if B/B did produce a little shock and got the win here. B/B by 4.

But I don’t know will that be enough as I think Rathkeale will make it three wins from five and beat Blackrock fairly comfortably. Blackrock are already doomed for the relegation play-off, no matter what, and the Mushes have to win. Rathkeale by 8.

That would also mean that Patrickswell vs Garryspillane would become a winner-takes-all. If Rathkeale didn’t win, both these sides could qualify regardless but both would have to expect Rathkeale to get the job done against the bottom side. Score difference means a draw would do Patrickswell and I think they’ll do enough to get the win anyway, I just think they have that little bit more in the tank. A player like Seanie O’Brien at this level is a real difference-maker and even though they’ve lost a few of the young guns to the seniors, so have the Bouncers. Patrickswell by 4.

Junior A Group 2

Saturday September 21
Ahane 2 vs Templeglantine @ 3.30pm in the Bog Garden
Bruff 2 vs Killeedy @ 3.30pm in Ballyagran
Claughaun vs Monaleen 2 @ 3.30pm in St. Pat’s

This group also caught me a bit, although moreso in the earlier round. As it stands, it looks like it will now follow a predicted pattern barring a couple of major shocks. Glantine started badly but have secured a quarter-final spot since then. Ahane can’t make a quarter-final as they lose on head-to-head with third-place Killeedy but could still be in a relegation play-off if they lose and Bruff were to win (as Bruff picked up a point againt Claughaun). I just expect Templeglantine to get the win even though it’s a dead rubber for them. Templeglantine by 5.

Bruff have to win to avoid the relegation play-off while Killeedy have to win to make a quarter-final. A quarter-final guarantees Killeedy’s place in the knockout stages; they could still proceed with a loss but would be relying on Monaleen seeing out the job against Claughaun. Safer to do the job yourself and I think Killeedy, even with the players they’ve lost, to have enough to beat Bruff (I still think Bruff should beat Blackrock in a relegation play-off). Killeedy by 4.

Claughaun can make a quarter-final if they win and Killeedy lose, as already mentioned. Theoretically, they can also be in a relegation play-off were both Ahane & Bruff to win and they lost. There would need to be a 12-point score swing also but, to be fair, Monaleen have racked up some big victories so far. Monaleen have probably been one of the biggest surprises this year. Okay, they won the Junior B All Ireland but they were no great shakes at junior previously and now have been the most impressive side at this grade thus far. They are already guaranteed a semi-final and Claughaun have to win to have any chance but Monaleen have been slick, and I think they’ll get the win. Monaleen by 6.

6 Likes

https://x.com/tclansee/status/1837024221261672816?t=lRX8Dp1LFl69WO4mzmFGSw&s=19

You’d have to fancy Ballybrown and Monaleen but I’d say we are in for drama

1 Like

I might try and get out to Adare Liberties Sunday, the tie of the weekend for me

1 Like

Three way tie in a group

What’s the rule these days? Score difference in the games between those teams?

Total score diff.

IHC is finalised.

M/B and F/C straight into semis.

Quarters
C/K vs Cappamore
Bruree vs Knockainey

1 Like

I’d say quite a few could actually

Changed back?

Yes different from last year.

Some interesting results across the grades today, a lot involving teams who were already through.

Croom beating Feohanagh, Bruree beating Murroe/Boher, Ballybricken/Bohermore bateing Castletown/Ballyagran, Claughaun beating Monaleen.

Templeglantine were well-beaten by Ahane and Killeedy beaten by Bruff which really opened up that group. Claughaun getting the win over Monaleen means they qualify in 3rd, behind Glantine. Bruff still in the relegation play-off because Ahane won.

A 3-way tie on 6 points in the other group between Rathkeale, Patrickswell and Garryspillane, I think? Which, if what @manbehindthewire says is true, would mean Patrickswell 2nd, Rathkeale 3rd and Garryspillane out after the draw between the Well & the Bouncers today. And means that, despite beating the table-toppers by 10 points, Ballybricken/Bohermore are out.

2 Likes

I believe Glantine didn’t play any of their Fr Casey footballers today

1 Like

Massive win as well for G/B against Blackrock

Yeah, gives G/B a chance going into the last round.

Blackrock out now, a poor year for them, considering they would have exceeded expectations last year and ended up almost getting promoted.

An awful bateing for Glenroe though. While this match was never the priority, receiving such a hammering can’t be good for the confidence with a winner-takes-all game next up. At least Na Piarsaigh put it up to Bruff some bit.

Semi finalists already guaranteed helped a couple of teams yesterday. Albeit in vein for Croom in the end. I had tipped them for relegation but they seemed to get players back and improved as the championship went on and will rue the losses to Kilmallock and H/H given they won two of the more difficult games in the group.