Limerick GAA 2023-2024.... 5 in a row is not here (Part 4)

Frank has been busy

Bloody split season

Intermediate final pencilled in for s friday evening.

Prem Inter Saturday, the curtain raiser to the Senior. I’ve seen football finals on those days but rarely hurling.

1 Like

Surely no real rush with intermediate ?

1 Like

Senior and Premier Intermediate finals were on Saturday last year also. Both winners have Munster championship the following weekend so it makes sense to give the extra day.

If Doon end up winning, they might need an extra month, never mind an extra day.

Not at all… none of the clubs involved are likely to be involved in football either

1 Like

Just wondering if there are many club players that would play hurling and football at the top grades for their clubs nowadays?
The likes of Na Piarsaigh, Doon/Oola, Mungret, Adare, Kildimo etc.
Or is it getting to a stage where club players can only pick one code and stick to it?
Probably due to the way the game is going with the levels of professionalism trickling down from inter county standard.

I presume it must be very hard to manage if the club is going well in both codes. I see a few clubs at junior/intermediate level and they seem to run ragged, using the same 15/20 players in both every weekend on the trot.

Ah plenty do in Laois anyway. There’d be huge crossover in the Senior squads of

Rosenallis
Portlaoise

And then you have the clubs who are dual but with one senior and the other a level down like
Clonaslee
Ballyfin

Be big crossover the in other Clubs who are strongly one way or the other and would cut the lesser one if push came to shove. Camross for example would mess about with football a bit, but would absolutely turn turk on it if it suited them, as witnessed last week when The Rock beat then 12-24 to 0-0, only weeks after winning the previous round against a relatively decent The Heath second team. Needless to say, they fielded the hurlers in one, and not the other.

Then you have Mountmellick who have both sides in Intermediate finals over the coming fortnight which is good going, but given how big the town is, the least they should be at. Even at that, they are pulling hurlers from about 4 different football clubs. A fair bit of that happens in the football end for hurling and hurling end for football to lesser extents.

The dual player is alive and well and just needs to be managed. But when you have outside managers, thats when the trouble starts with the dual player. Look how a Loughmore manage it.

Dual clubs yes, but not many dual players… 0 in nap doon/oola would have a few monaleen very few kildimo are the best spread of both…

I’m not sure of mungrets crossover. It’s certainly becoming increasingly difficult to do both at high levels

We had 12 players who played Senior Championship in both this year and our two county footballers would have been guaranteed starters for the hurlers but they got injured in the first couple of football rounds and missed the entire year, so would have been 14.

And there’d be another couple who played football who probably would have been next in line for the hurlers but have been playing junior hurling.

It does have to be managed well but we don’t have enough players really to not be dual. For example, if players had to commit to one or the other, we would probably end up relegated from both.

1 Like

Would Peter, Cathal and Tony be the only inter county footballers playing senior hurling?

Even without those three it becomes a struggle to push on in the hurling.

Add doc and Lorcan o Leary it becomes almost impossible. You’d either end up with one strong team and one weak team or else two moderate teams.

Joe Sweeney from Adare too this year.

If NCW get promoted to senior hurling, there’ll be a few more.

Single code players are the vast minority in Wexford but I think that’s an exception.

As far as I have heard, Na Piarsaigh’s 3 best footballers are Will O’Donoghue and the 2 Caseys, and the last few years they weren’t allowed play the Football (that could’ve been before Shane O’Neill came in, so not sure of story now)

How’s it working training wise? Club I’m with would have at least 10 hurlers starting with footballers and a good clatter of others on the bench. Settled on two nights training during the week, combined warm-up, then split codes with duals going to one or the other either night. You’d have had 8 lads some nights playing hurling which was fairly unsatisfactory.

A de-facto relegation final from PI tonight below in MNP between Nap and Glenroe. You’d have to fancy the city boys based on recent results but Glenroe have tactically rested men with this fixture in mind.

I don’t think its feasible if you are going to try and compete with the way playing numbers are in most clubs. The Loughmore example is good for dual, but then you have to factor in that the hurling team has two of the greatest hurlers that ever played for Tipp. Not every team has a Noel or John McGrath on their panel so hurling training consistently is important.

1 Like

They’d probably walk onto most Division 3 or 4 inter county football teams as well

2 Likes

Not ideal for the Ballylanders contingent facing @TreatyStones Ballysteen in a relegation final on Sunday evening. @caoimhaoin can’t be impressed.