Limerick GAA 2023-2024.... 5 in a row is not here

We could send the minors down to beat that lot. All into Clarkeys after!

1 Like

Ye were beaten.

When will you be releasing the first 2023 Club Power Rankings?

August 1st.

1 Like

Just back from not-so-balmy Bruff.

Bon Secours Limerick senior county league final. Doon 3-19 Kilmallock 2-19.

Was late in due to work commitments at which point the @balbec were 0-05 to 0-00 ahead. Was just walking in the gate behind the goal when Big Robbie Egan drifted into space and had a blistering effort saved by Tomas Lynch but young Pierce Connery doubled on it first time to rattle the net. Eight points ahead and at that stage I was questioning my sanity at breaking my arse to attend this game.

But credit to Doon, they kept their nose in the fight. Almost straight away Ref Donners O’Callaghan awarded them a pen after Dean Coleman was pulled back. Cormac Bug Ryan stepped up and drilled it to the corner. Operating at 11, Ryan was excellent - from frees and play he was their best forward by a mile.

But Kilmallock steadied the ship and looked the better side for all the half. They fired over a plethora of scores from out the field, while BRE was getting the better of Tommy Hayes inside.

The game seemed to be almost petering out even at this early stage when the men from the East were thrown a lifeline, Coleman kicking a fine goal. Suddenly only three points in it at the break.

Doon really upped it on the resumption. Got a hold of the Kilmallock puck out and really took over the middle third. Mikey O’Brien and Jack Ryan particularly dominant. But with the lead down to a point and all the momentum with them, disaster struck. A surging run from Robbie Hanley created the opening for BRE and he finished emphatically. Gap back out to four.

Doon refused to panic though and chipped away at the lead before a good move led to no. 26 Sean Moloney (not sure if it was even him) firing in a ferocious shot which Barry Hennessy saved but trickled towards the line and the inrushing Kevin Maher bundled home. The sizeable Doon following found their voice as they sensed a morale boosting win following recent internal upheaval. The honest and game Coleman tapped over a point, when a goal was on, to push the gap out to three.

It being Doon, catastrophe is never far away and when Donners awarded the men from the South a late free on the 21 it seemed inevitable we’d be set for extra time. But Chanley’s well struck effort was blocked and cleared as the full time whistle went. Doon’s bench really delivered for them, Eddie Stokes got on a world of ball when he came in. Is this finally the year…?

Large crowd, Spike seemed happy with the turnout and another few quid in the County Board coffers. The club season ticket is great value for €100, a tenner in last week and again tonight. Anyone going to more than the odd game would be a mug not to get one.

FOL seems an excitable figure on the line. He was in on the ref a couple of times roaring for frees. Can see him getting into a few scrapes by the time the season is over. That young fella with the big square head who was with Davy’s Waterford this year also seems to be part of the set up. Almost certain it was him there anyway.

All in all an enjoyable contest and a nice way to pass a summer’s evening.

21 Likes

Senior Football Championship starting this weekend. Monaleen probably my pick for the year, bit of value at 4/1.

2 Likes

Galway teams have struggled of late but Clarinbridge and Sarsfields must be handy.

Just back from the field, stopped off on the way home from Bruff.

Griffins Coaches Intermediate Football Championship Group 1 Round 1 - Gerald Griffins 2-08 Pallasgreen 0-04.

Caught the last ten mins at which stage Griffins were reduced to 13 after receiving two straight red cards in the same incident only minutes before. McSweeney was one of them, who received his marching orders from ref Seamus Hayes.

Apparently they went from the 20th minute without scoring before a late salvo of 1-01 in breakaway attacks saw them home comfortably. A Pallas black card just prior to those scores killed off any hope of a late comeback.

Two people I spoke with who were present for the whole thing said it was the worst game of football ever played.

4 Likes

That’s saying something.

1 Like

Kieran’s league champions. Do they have an outside shout?

Champ begins on Thursday with a box office encounter between Newcastle and Abbey

Apparently things not great in Caseys. Loads of lads gone to Oz and they won’t even be fielding a second team.

Only another couple more Minor/U20 winning sides required.

Newcastle West have walked so that Fr. Caseys can run.

1 Like

Monaleen have apparently gotten a few imports from Kerry into their forward line and are going well, the slip up v Kierans in the county league final excepted.

Kierans themselves also have an import from Wicklow (via Oola,) into their forward line. If they can bring everything together they could threaten.

I’m not sure you’ve known about paid attention to Fr. Casey’s for years now. They waste underage side after underage side, whether to soccer or drink.

That’s the joke…

2 Likes

Cian Sheehan & diarmuid kelly gone from ncw, so I would say adare monaleen & Kieran’s all well in the mix. Should be competitive if not overly entertaining at times

1 Like

There isn’t much I dont pay attention to…

6 Likes

Only the league.

Drom in their hay day never did 3 in a row, so it would be huge for them to do it!

Ncw are going to be short a number of players.

Monaleen were 5s with Boyle’s some 3 weeks ago. We backed then immediately after the city league final.

Three Kerry lads in. Two Sugrues who have been with Kerry 20s, one of them a very good 11, as well as a tasty full forward who is a brother of some Kerry senior.

1 Like