Limerick GAA 2023-2024.... 5 in a row is not here

Updated:

Aristotle Esso Bod Balbec TreatyStones TheoP CCHA Jack_Hackett NYGiants Julio_Geordio Bushes Glas Jahan PhattPike endakenny Mrhappy alwaysdrinkin FlakeAway Batigol Elvis Dodgy gaillimhmick StoneCold
Senior Champions Na Piarsaigh Na Piarsaigh Na Piarsaigh Kilmallock Na Piarsaigh Na Piarsaigh Na Piarsaigh Na Piarsaigh Na Piarsaigh Na Piarsaigh Kilmallock Na Piarsaigh Na Piarsaigh Patrickswell Na Piarsaigh Patrickswell Na Piarsaigh Na Piarsaigh Patrickswell Patrickswell Na Piarsaigh Na Piarsaigh Na Piarsaigh
Relegated Senior A Ahane Ahane Ahane Ahane Ahane Ahane Ahane Doon Kildimo/Pallaskenry Ahane Ahane Kildimo/Pallaskenry Ahane Ahane Kildimo/Pallaskenry Ahane Kildimo/Pallaskenry Kildimo/Pallaskenry Ahane Ahane Ahane Ahane Kildimo/Pallaskenry
Promoted Senior B Mungret/St. Paulā€™s Adare Ballybrown South Liberties Monaleen Monaleen South Liberties South Liberties Ballybrown Ballybrown South Liberties South Liberties Mungret/St. Paulā€™s Monaleen Monaleen Ballybrown Mungret/St. Paulā€™s Ballybrown Ballybrown Monaleen South Liberties Monaleen Monaleen
Relegated Senior B Adare South Liberties Garryspillane Garryspillane Ballybrown Adare Garryspillane Adare Garryspillane Garryspillane Garryspillane Monaleen Garryspillane Ballybrown Mungret/St. Paulā€™s Mungret/St. Paulā€™s Garryspillane Garryspillane Garryspillane South Liberties Garryspillane Garryspillane Mungret/St. Paulā€™s
Premier Intermediate Champions Newcastlewest Cappamore Effin Effin Newcastlewest Newcastlewest Newcastlewest Effin Dromin/Athlacca Newcastlewest Bruff Na Piarsaigh 2 Newcastlewest Newcastlewest Cappamore Newcastlewest Newcastlewest Newcastlewest Newcastlewest Blackrock Newcastlewest Newcastlewest Blackrock
Relegated Premier Intermediate Cappamore Dromin/Athlacca Glenroe Bruff Na Piarsaigh 2 Bruff Glenroe Bruff Blackrock Blackrock Glenroe Cappamore Glenroe Cappamore Na Piarsaigh 2 Bruff Cappamore Cappamore Glenroe Glenroe Cappamore Glenroe Dromin/Athlacca
Intermediate Champions Bruree Murroe/Boher Croagh/Kilfinny Kilmallock 2 Kilmallock 2 Bruree Bruree Murroe/Boher Croagh/Kilfinny Croagh/Kilfinny Murroe/Boher Croagh/Kilfinny Knockainey Bruree Bruree Bruree Murroe/Boher Murroe/Boher Murroe/Boher Bruree Granagh/Ballingarry Bruree Bruree
Relegated Intermediate Hospital/Herbertstown Croom St. Kieranā€™s St. Kieranā€™s Croom Knockaderry Hospital/Herbertstown Feohanagh St. Kieranā€™s Kilmallock 2 St. Kieranā€™s Knockaderry St. Kieranā€™s Hospital/Herbertstown St. Kieranā€™s Croom St. Kieranā€™s St. Kieranā€™s Kilmallock 2 St. Kieranā€™s Hospital/Herbertstown St. Kieranā€™s Pallasgreen
Junior A Champions Crecora/Manister Caherline Killeedy Castletown/Ballyagran Askeaton St. Patrickā€™s Kilteely/Dromkeen Crecora/Manister Askeaton Askeaton Crecora/Manister Crecora/Manister St. Patrickā€™s Dromcollogher/Broadford Crecora/Manister Castletown/Ballyagran Killeedy Crecora/Manister Crecora/Manister Tournafulla Caherline Crecora/Manister Killeedy
Relegated Junior A Ahane 2 Ahane 2 Rathkeale Staker Wallace Old Christians Ahane 2 Ahane 2 Ahane 2 Old Christians Old Christians Blackrock 2 Ahane 2 Old Christians Old Christians Blackrock 2 Old Christians Ahane 2 Ahane 2 Ahane 2 Claughaun Old Christians Ahane 2 Old Christians

Senior
Champions- Na Piarsaigh
Relegation from Senior A Group- Ahane
Promoted from Senior B Group-Monaleen
Relegated to Premier Intermediate-Garryspillane

Premier Intermediate
Champions-NCW
Relegated-Cappamore

Intermediate
Champions- Bruree
Relegated- St. Keirans

Junior A
Champions- Feenagh/Kilmeedy
Relegated- Ahane 2

Senior
Champions- Patrickswell
Promoted from Senior B Group-Ballybrown
Relegated to Premier Intermediate-Garryspillane

Premier Intermediate
Champions-Bruff
Relegated-Cappamore

Intermediate
Champions- Murrow Boher
Relegated- St. Keirans

Junior A
Champions- Askeaton
Relegated- Old Christians

1 Like

Senior
Champions- Patrickswell
Promoted from Senior B Group- Ballybrown
Relegated to Premier Intermediate- Adare

Premier Intermediate
Champions- Newcastlewest
Relegated- Glenroe

Intermediate
Champions- Croagh/Kilfinny
Relegated- Croom

Junior A
Champions- Caherline
Relegated- Mungret St Pauls 2

So the Premier Intermediate starts tonight. Bit harsh imo on David McCarthy making him play 4 days after winning an All Ireland but Glenroe obviously agreed to it, because they would have been given until at least Sunday otherwise.

Iā€™ve only seen three of these teams this year and they were in league/challenges where either they or the opposition could have been down players in any particular game. But, based on what Iā€™ve seen, Newcastlewest do look very decent. No Diarmuid Kelly this year, Iā€™m led to believe but in Con Hayes, Bryan Nix & Eoin Hurley amongst others, they have fellas who can get scores. Arguably, their biggest hurdle will be if they are focusing more on the football but having the same manager over both probably helps in that regard.

Of the other teams Iā€™ve seen in 2023, Blackrock are just down from senior and were very impressive the night I saw them. In any sort of loose game, they do have shooters like Sean Oā€™Neill & Paudie Leahy who can rack up big scores. But Jimmy Quiltyā€™s ACL injury will be an absolutely massive loss; he brings huge legs and ability to get on the ball.

Also saw Glenroe, they werenā€™t great the night I saw them but were missing a couple. I was really impressed with Liam Dennehy for the 20s this year, they still have the Oā€™Connells, as well as Junior & Stephen Walsh. I think they could be caught at the back by the better teams but do have firepower.

Elsewhere, another side down a county player because of an ACL is Bruff with Sean Finn. Maybe they donā€™t utilise him as well as they should but heā€™s still a massive, massive blow in terms of his leadership, composure, etc; heā€™s just a classy, classy player. Now, Bruff are a coming side, they won a Premier U-19s title last year and a lot of them got adult experience last year, and theyā€™ll be able to add young Michael Oā€™Sullivan & Owen Meany this year in addition to the likes of Patrick Finn, Darragh Butler, etc. With Seanie, they should be up there as the favourites to win it and were county finalists last year. Without him, they slip back a bit, I think.

Effin are one of the ones that stand out on paper. They did alright last year in their first year back at the grade, but couldnā€™t get to the final, beaten by the eventual winners in the semi-final. They would have a smaller panel than some of the others but their county players do stand out: Nicky Quaid obviously dictates things, Paddy Oā€™Donovan is up there as the best scoring forward in the division and Fergal Oā€™Connor can both score & create from midfield. I believe Jack Quaid is gone, so down a big player from last year but they do have a nice side if they can keep everyone fit.

Elsewhere, Na Piarsaigh just up from Intermediate, hard to know how theyā€™ll go as it depends on who they have. Every injury the NaP seniors get obviously weakens them and Alan Dempsey would be a loss at this level obviously. The Dow should be playing senior this year, so Condon might be back in goals for this side. It is hard to know how good theyā€™ll be but youā€™d imagine theyā€™ll start fairly strong and maybe get weaker as the games progress.

Dromin/Athlacca have a nice helping of new young players to add into the mix and could be dark horses. David Reidy is an unbelievable club player, how do you mark him? And a few years ago, they seriously lacked legs in defence but with the addition of all these young fellas, that should help some of those shortcomings with the likes of Dore, the other Scullys and Fitzgibbon, last yearā€™s minor captain, who is a very tidy back. Iā€™d be surprised if they donā€™t make a semi-final this year.

I think Cappamore might struggle this year. Now, at the same time, I feel like Iā€™ve been writing them off for years and they survived again last year. They are tough, dogged fuckers and had a very decent U-21s team recently and even made the county final in 2021. Lads like Oā€™Donnell & Fitzgibbon have given them a bit of firepower that they were lacking. Still though, I look elsewhere and I donā€™t see any obviously weak sides, it should be a very tight grade.

Thursday July 27
Glenroe vs Na Piarsaigh 2 @7pm in Hospital

Friday July 28
Bruff vs Cappamore @7pm in Caherconlish

Sunday July 30
Blackrock vs Dromin/Athlacca @7pm in Kilmallock
Effin vs Newcastlewest @7pm in Ballyagran

As Iā€™ve said, Iā€™ve no idea what kind of team Na Piarsaigh will have, so Iā€™m just going to go with Glenroe who have a bit of experience at this grade and started like a train last year. Glenroe by 4.

Iā€™m going to say that Bruffā€™s young players are better than Cappamoreā€™s young players and I think they already had a better side, so I think Bruff should win this one even without Seanie. Bruff by 7.

Unless Reidy is very hungover (and tbf, he looked fresher than most as far as I could see), I think Dromin/Athlacca will just about edge Blackrock, even though I donā€™t want to underrate Blackrock, they were relatively competitive at senior last year. D/A by 1.

And game of the weekend is definitely Effin vs NCW. Effin will have had practically no preparation with their two county boys in key positions. Very unlikely theyā€™re playing a challenge tonight, for example. So, almost based on familiarity alone, while also being a good team, Iā€™d fancy NCW to edge that. NCW by 4.

7 Likes

M/B tipped a lot for the Intermediate. Have they got things together this year compared to the last few?

Weā€™ll see. Down a few big players from last year but did deliver two hammerings in their last two matches of last season and ran Na Piarsaigh very close, who ended up winning it. So the potential would seem to be there but actually delivering a performance in the first round of Championship when the pressure is on is the big ask.

It would seem surprising that more people have tipped them rather than Croagh/Kilfinny who have been in back-to-back county finals and are a very decent young side.

1 Like

12mins 2nd Half
Glenroe: 1-13(16)
Na Piarsaigh: 0-15(15)

2 Likes

To be fair to Bog, he threw up the programme from today:

If that team lines out, that would mean no Dowling, Evan Gilvarry, Evan Oā€™Brien, Kevin or Kieran Daly from last year. Shep not starting and obviously Alan Dempsey did play the final.

Gearoid Synott played senior last year though and is available here, as is Condon. That Pa Oā€™Neill on the bench absolutely destroyed us for their seniors in the league.

So maybe slightly weaker on paper although another year of experience for John Fitz, Vince Harrington, Wayne Kearns, Dylan Lynch, etc; youā€™d expect them to kick on, have a lot of talent. Kearns wasnā€™t even coming on as a sub last year in a lot of games.

1 Like

Goal for Shep.

Whatā€™s Dows story?

Playing senior instead.

NaP take the lead for the first time going into stoppage time.

Taking over from Nickey for the 7 in a row in 2026

3 Likes

Full Time
Glenroe: 1-17(20)
Na Piarsaigh: 1-20(23)

1 Like

I met Alan & David Dempsey in Croke Park last Sunday and his right hand was in plaster half way up his arm.

Thatā€™s a big win for Na P 2.

Prem Inter. is a bear pit. Staying up the immediate priority.

2 Likes

Broke his wrist last week.

1 Like

Senior
Champions - Na Piarsaigh

Relegation from Senior A Group - Ahane hopefully

Promoted from Senior B Group - Monaleen

Relegated to Premier Intermediate - Garryspillane.

Premier Intermediate

Champions - Newcastle West

Relegated - Cappamore hopefully

Intermediate

Champions - Croagh/Kilfinny

Relegated - Hospital/Herbertstown hopefully the hateful cunts

Junior A

Champions - Caherline

Relegated - Ahane2 hopefully

2 Likes

And Jerome Boylan did his cruciate, Sean Long another cruciate absentee, weā€™ll be pulling from the 2nd team as the season goes on

Now that will be very interesting. Youā€™d be delighted for him if he could start and make an impact