Limerick GAA 2023-2024.... 5 in a row is not here

Iā€™d much rather have a decent surface than a stand to be honest.

Ballyagran is the du jour venue at the moment and they do have a grand stand, but their pitch was a joke a couple of weeks back. I donā€™t even know how they managed it with all the rain that fell - the pitch was all burned up.

1 Like

If the game was played inside in the GG the same lads would be giving out about how soulless it is to play it there

The tipp lads would be as well off looking in on their own

If you gave us ā‚¬1m, I wouldnā€™t spend it on a stand, put it like that.

The outstanding West

1 Like

100%

Itā€™s beyond hilarious at this stage

1 Like

I definitely prefer club grounds for matches.

All Claghaun needs is some kind of basic canopy over the existing stepped area and it would be grand.

Problem with claughaun is the prevailing down the field.

1 Like

The thing with a stand is that itā€™s not covered under Sports Capital Grants or any other scheme.

If youā€™re a club and you donā€™t have an existing stand are you going to put minimum ā‚¬50k (and often way above this) into a pitch that mightnā€™t get many championship matches anyway? Money that could be better utilised in a gym, astro, second grass pitch etc?

Nice to have but not the be all and end all.

2 Likes

Exactly, thatā€™s definitely the biggest issue with the pitch, the wind dictates the match so much.

Same problem in clarina. Both our clubs play there far too often.

1 Like

True, but not much you can do about that beyond planting trees maybe.

Things I learned today. I always thought they were.
I do think if county boards, not just Limerick but all County boards, are using club grounds for Senior county championships then there should be a few minimums like a scoreboard and a covered area or at least a raised bank to watch a game from. A scorebord should be an absolute minimum.

1 Like

Someone on here might know better but apparently a club from Clare had a motion at Congress recently that all clubs hosting club championship matches must have a fence around the pitch. (I donā€™t know if this is true and passed by vote, just what I was told).

Apparently a club in Limerick picked up on this loophole and requested that their championship match last night be moved from its original designated venue, a venue they conveniently donā€™t like playing inā€¦

Whether coincidence or not, the game was moved to a venue that was fenced inā€¦

1 Like

Any junior goalie worth his salt would be stopping that. Bad footwork youā€™d say. He hardly has all Ireland medals?

He was on the 14 and nobody near him ffs.

Yep, great view of it

That definitely used to be a condition for getting certain games but Iā€™m guessing it was done away with. The field had to be categorised as ā€œenclosedā€ which meant a fence around the playing surface and a means for the players and officals to gain access to the field from the dressing rooms without mixing with the supporters.

1 Like

Iā€™m nearly sure that is the case in Cork. All the grounds have those horrible fences like they have in Claghaun.

A stand might cost a few pound but should be there for ever more if itā€™s done right, also clubs can make revenue from the gate, lotto, shop etc on the days of games.

As expected Kilmallock made light work of Doon.

Looks like a big performance from Ahane as well as they seemed to make light work of K/P. Tom Morrisey with 0-12.

Also a huge win from Kilteely/Dromkeen over Patrickswell in the :package: :department_store: Junior A Hurling Championship; 4-19 to 0-14

5 Likes