Limerick GAA 2023-2024.... 5 in a row is not here

I’m Tom Cruise in all but name

1 Like

You’re dumb as a rock as far as I can see. But sure. Be Tom Cruise.

Not many this year - What they had last year only one was any good. He is overseas this year. Most lads from other counties in the barracks now play back home with there clubs. One lad from KK is playing full back for GB I think , but he is settled out there.

2 Likes

A quick turnaround from Round 1 into Round 2 before a break for football for a couple of weeks; it gives some teams the chance to write the wrongs of a week before, it gives others the chance to build a new cushion heading into the break. Also should be a bit easier to predict with a bit of form to base predictions off, having seen teams in action and, at the very least, having seen some teamsheets.

Senior A

Thursday August 10
Ahane (11/2) vs Kilmallock (1/10) @ 7pm in Doon
Doon (9/2) vs Patrickswell (1/8) @ 7pm in Kilmallock

Friday August 11
Kildimo/Pallaskenry (15/2) vs Na Piarsaigh (1/20) @ 7pm in Claughaun

The odds say it all really about what way these matches are predicted to go, it’s expected to be one-way traffic in all three. Tonight, the streamed game is the clash between Ahane and Kilmallock. Ahane have got a first-round win for the first time since going up to the Senior A group which puts a different outlook on their season, they now pretty much have four free hits to make a quarter-final. Kilmallock looked very very impressive as they dismantled Doon, while missing Graeme Mul, Robbie Hanley and David Woulfe. Now, how much of it was to do with how good Kilmallock or was it to do with how poor Doon were? Probably a mixture of both as the game was over in 10 minutes, but I do think they have addressed some of the issues they had last year. Ahane had a comprehensive victory over ourselves and if there is any hint of complacency in Kilmallock, Ahane could take advantage of that. Still, as good as Tom Morrissey is, impossible to go against Kilmallock after last week. Too much firepower but Ahane are unlikely to roll over. Kilmallock by 6.

Doon were so poor last week and it’s not like they’re going to have a whole host of players back. Patrick Cummins, at least, will start but, with the greatest respect to him, he was probably the most replaceable of last year’s backline. Still, better to have him than not, I just don’t think he can be expected to seal up all the gaping holes. Patrickswell were very impressive in their victory over Na Piarsaigh, looked very structured and you’d expect them to put the foot down here. They will have John Kirby back in the mix too so should actually be stronger than last week. Again, looking at last week, there is only way I can go with my prediction here although you would presume Doon will show a bit of pride and put in a better showing and they do still have some serious quality in attack. But still, Patrickswell by 9.

After losing to Ahane, I suppose we can’t really complain about being such large outsiders. And, while people would have said Na Piarsaigh were poor last week, they still only lost by two points. And generally when they have lost their opening round match, they have come back with a vengeance the following week and hammered the shit out of some poor cunts. So, our first goal will be to ensure that doesn’t happen early on and then go out and try and cause an upset. Our one consolation, if you can call it that, is that we know we have much higher levels of performance within us and we have shown it against better sides than Ahane. The flip side is that was the most winnable match and we didn’t perform, never a good look. Even without Will, Long, Boylan and Dempsey; Na Piarsaigh carry a huge amount of threat, with pretty much every player having played underage for Limerick at least. If we thought last week was a step up in intensity and quality, this week will be another level altogether but if we can match that, we’ll give it an oul go anyway.

Senior B

Friday August 11
Garryspillane (3/1) vs Mungret/St. Paul’s (1/4) @ 7pm in Cappamore

Saturday August 12
Monaleen (1/4) vs South Liberties (3/1) @ 2pm in Caherconlish

Sunday August 13
Adare (evens) vs Ballybrown (10/11) @ 2.30pm in Askeaton

An impressive opening round win, with four goals on the board, with a similarly disappointing defeat for Garryspillane, who conceded four goals. That formline probably only points in one direction but Garryspillane did beat Mungret last year and are the type of physical, dogged team that Mungret have, at times, struggled with. I was surprised, however, at the margin of Garryspillane’s defeat and while Willie Griffin may be a more dangerous forward than anything Mungret have, that inside line of Mulcahy, O’Brien and Lynch are a threat and have already shown they can get goals. Wouldn’t be surprised if it was very tight but because I was disappointed in Garryspillane last week, I’ll go with Mungret to edge this one. Mungret by 4.

Two very disappointing opening weekends for these two. Monaleen, on the back of promotion and an All-Ireland victory, back up at Senior A were expected to really compete this year but they didn’t even lay a glove on Ballybrown. Just hurled off the pitch and that’s got to be a disappointment, they surely needed to at least compete. And it was even worse for Liberties; again, down lots of bodies and they were just utterly blown away. Whoever loses could be in real bother for relegation when both would presumably have had eyes on a quarter-final spot. While Liberties do have Nash, the other missing bodies do make them weaker overall and I’m presuming Monaleen have some sort of bounce in them. They have no other real excuses, this is a must-win for them, I think they are justifiable favourites, but they need to perform. I’ll tip them because I don’t see how Liberties pull it out; Monaleen by 5.

As @Watchyourtoes so eloquently put it, the big cunt-off is being streamed on Sunday. There’ll be no winners here, no matter who wins, we lose. Hard to decide who are the bigger cunts… Anyway, hurling-wise, it should be a decent game. Both sides had disastrous years in 2022 but both opened their accounts fairly impressively last weekend. Willie Griffin led a Declan Hannon-less Adare to a fairly comprehensive victory over Garryspillane while Aidan O’Connor was the inspiration for Ballybrown taking Monaleen apart. The bookies make Ballybrown slight favourites and I’d have to go with that. I just think Hannon is a major loss for Adare, although Mikey Mackey is a good fella to have back and between himself and Sam Hickey, that will have done something to address the lack of legs in attack they had last year. Ronan Connolly will presumably try to nullify Aidan O’Connor and that should be a good battle, and if he can keep him quiet, that would be a huge boost for Adare. Still, I’m not sure that they have another player to halt Coughlan in full flight and they do have a few other tidy forwards too. Obviously Ballybrown will have to keep tabs on Willie aswell, but I’ll give them a slight edge in this one. Ballybrown by 3.

8 Likes

Premier Intermediate

Thursday August 10
Dromin/Athlacca vs Newcastlewest @ 7pm in Askeaton

Friday August 11
Cappamore vs Glenroe @ 7pm in Hospital

Saturday August 12
Blackrock vs Effin @ 6pm in Kilmallock

Sunday August 13
Bruff vs Na Piarsaigh 2 @ 1pm in Fedamore

Round 3 in the Premier Intermediate and I actually think the hardest game to pick this weekend is the one tonight at this grade. Newastlewest were many people’s favourites, including mine for this grade, and they are currently winless. Another defeat would seriously dent their chances of making a semi-final and make relegation a real possibility. I think they are probably too good for that but there is no guarantee they win here. Perhaps a little unlucky last weekend but Dromin/Athlacca will also feel they were unlucky against Blackrock (missing Mike Reidy & Cian Scully from the start) and they bounced back in impressive fashion last weekend to beat an Effin side, who comfortably beat NCW. So the formlines now point to a D/A win. I wouldn’t put money on it, I think it’ll be very tight but NCW’s confidence may be a little low, maybe they need the break and they have really struggled for scores in both games so far. D/A, on the other hand, seem to have got more from their other attackers, apparently David Mullins was impressive the last day, young Daniel Scully goaled the first day and Breen & Fitzgibbon are always lively. That’s not to mention David Reidy in the middle of the field, capable of getting 4 or 5 points from play any day. I’m not sure of the status of Mike Reidy, Cian Scully and Sean O’Leary; with those involved, I would definitely back D/A. Without them, NCW should have enough on paper but paper hasn’t delivered wins for them so far. So I’ll go with D/A to win by 1 but wouldn’t be surprised with any result here tbh.

Cappamore and Glenroe have both fucked away big leads against Na Piarsaigh and both may seriously live to regret it. They have also both lost to Bruff. Cappamore’s defeat last week must be particularly galling, conceding 2-1 in injury time, including the softest of all goals to lose it. This could very well end up deciding which team comes bottom while semi-final hopes would still be alive for the winner. Another almost impossible one to call, both have very similar formlines, neither have been able to see out matches. I’m probably going to just give the edge to Cappamore on the basis that apparently they hurled very well against Na Piarsaigh the last day and should have won comfortably (should have doesn’t get the points on the board, however). Cappamore by 1.

Blackrock have fought hard and dug out two narrow victories. Effin started in style with a 10-point victory but then fell to D/A last weekend. This should be a serious contest in Kilmallock on Saturday evening, I imagine the neighbours will bring out a big crowd and there’s a bit on the line too. A Blackrock win and they’d have one foot in the semi-finals already while an Effin men would make it very very tight. I think I’ve backed against Blackrock twice now but a team that can win tight games… that’s probably the best trait of all. I do think Effin have a lot of quality and if they are allowed hurl, they will do damage. For example, I don’t think Blackrock have a back that can hold Paddy O’Donovan… but if he doesn’t get the ball, there’s not much he can do. I’m looking at the teams now and while Blackrock do have a lot of dog in them, I think Effin have that bit more quality and it means I’m backing against Blackrock again. Effin by 4.

Na Piarsaigh and Bruff are both topping this table with four points, both having played the same days. NaP need a strong dose of luck to win last week with a long free dropping into the net in the 10th minute of injury time, but should good spirit to fight back yet again. The loss of Evan Condon may dent their chances having already lost three of the team from the first day to their seniors. There is a rumour of one further injury so maybe they will be down another. You always expect second teams to get weaker as the year progresses and this may work in Bruff’s favour. Bruff are without their own talisman but have ground out wins so far, with Chris & David Browne prominent on the scoresheet. I expect a side like them to be able to take advantage where Cappamore were unable to. Bruff by 6.

Intermediate Group 1

Friday August 11
Bruree vs Kilmallock 2 @ 7pm in Glenroe
Croagh/Kilfinny vs Knockaderry @ 7pm in the Bog Garden
Hospital/Herbertstown vs Pallasgreen @ 7pm in Kilteely

All three of these on tomorrow night, not good for the spies. Kilmallock another side who threw away a massive lead and ended up getting hammered by Knockaderry. Bruree had a big win over H/H and I’d make them one of the favourites to win this grade. Hard to see them not having enough to win here. Bruree by 10.

While Knockaderry did have a big win against Kilmallock, a different test altogether against a Croagh/Kilfinny side with their eyes on the title. The confidence of last week’s win should help but I just don’t think they have the quality to take on C/K. C/K by 9.

Probably the most interesting game in this group is the one in Kilteely, between two sides who lost on the opening weekend. H/H didn’t lay a glove on Bruree while Pallasgreen may have literally laid gloves on C/K, they weren’t close on the scoreboard in the end. Now, C/K only really pulled away from Pallasgreen towards the end and neither Malachy nor Pudgie are suspended for this. They will probably need to get support in attack in order to rack up enough scores to win, but I think Pallasgreen have that bit more about them, worried about H/H’s chance of staying alive this year. Pallasgreen by 5.

Intermediate Group 2

Thursday August 10
Croom vs Knockainey @ 7pm in Ballybricken

Friday August 11
Feohanagh vs Granagh/Ballingarry @ 7pm in Newcastlewest
Murroe/Boher vs St. Kieran’s @ 7pm in Mungret

While the average margin of victory wasn’t as high in group 2, there were still three fairly comfortable wins which makes the second round quite interesting. Knockainey came up way short of G/B when I would have had them as one of the favourites for the competition. Croom arguably had an even more disappointing defeat, falling by 7 to newly-promoted and relegation favourites St. Kieran’s. So that immediately puts them as favourites to come bottom of this group, while Knockainey have to win if they have ambitions of making it out of the group. Knockainey sounded very disappointing last week but I do think they have enough quality to turn it around and I expect them to get the job done this week. Knockainey by 5.

The standout display was G/B’s win over Knockainey and while Feohanagh avenged last year’s hammering at the ends of M/B, it is hard to back against G/B given the impressive nature of their display. Now, they will have to get a handle on Seamie Flanagan and Mike Fitzgibbon but G/B just seem to have that strength all over the pitch that only a few other sides at this grade have. I’ll go with G/B by 4.

A huge opening round win for St. Kieran’s. Maybe the league hadn’t gone so well for them and a lot of people were tipping them to go straight back down, getting that win doesn’t mean they are safe but it definitely puts a different perspective on their season. Murroe/Boher, on the other hand, are in a very precarious position. They are now desperate to win this weekend, all the pressure is on them. They were outfought last weekend and you’d imagine that’s one area that Kieran’s will never fall short in. You might outhurl them but they work their socks off. Will that pressure and desperation tell in a positive manner for M/B who do have some good hurlers? A defeat here and they can pretty much say goodbye to any chances of reaching the knockout stages, and will be fighting for their lives again. A win and they are back in the mix. Should be a really interesting contest in Mungret, I’ll go with M/B to deliver and win by 5.

4 Likes

Junior A Group 1

Friday August 11
Monagea vs Staker Wallace @ 7pm in Ballingarry

Sunday August 13
Askeaton vs Patrickswell 2 @ 1pm in Adare

Monday August 14
Ballybricken/Bohermore vs Kilteely/Dromkeen @ 7pm in Hospital

Monagea perhaps needed a bit of luck to see off Askeaton but they did so and will be confident of backing that up this weekend. The Stakers have such a small pick, it is difficult for them, and they weren’t disgraced last week against B/B. But, at the same time, do they have enough up front outside of McCarthy to get the scores they need? In Baynham, Herlihy, Brouder and O’Callaghan, Monagea do have fellas who can take scores and that will probably be the difference. Monagea by 6.

I really did not expect the one hammering at this grade to be taken by Patrickswell. They usually are there or thereabouts but apparently were just blown away by a very impressive K/D. How impressive are K/D we probably won’t know for sure until we see them again, but the Well are down a few that they would have counted on previously. John Kirby did play last weekend and will now be gone aswell, in addition to Carrig, Fitzgerald and McMahon. So this opens it up for Askeaton who surely can’t contrive to give up goals as easily as last week, nor hit as many wides. It may be a purely confidence thing with Askeaton; they hurled well for large periods of the game but just threw it away. If they bring the positives; against a weakened Patrickswell side, they should again create enough chances to win the game, but will they be able to take them? The Well may still be a better side than Monagea, however, so it’s going to be close either way. I’ll go for Askeaton by 2 (which I probably wouldn’t have predicted a week ago, the margin of Patrickswell’s loss has swayed me).

As mentioned, K/D had arguably the most impressive display of any team last weekend, even without Brian O’Grady. B/B beat the Stakers by 6 but didn’t blow them away either. So I can’t go against K/D here, even with knowing how unpredictable this grade is. K/D by 7.

Junior A Group 2

Saturday August 12
Caherline vs Tournafulla @ 7pm in Ballybrown
Claughaun vs Crecora/Manister @ 7pm in Rathbane
Garryspillane 2 vs Templeglantine @ 7pm in Ballyagran

Both Caherline & Tour won by three points in games that were always expected to be tight. Perfect starts for both and now must be the two favourites to progress from this group. Saying that, whoever wins this one would be expected to have one foot in the quarter-final, so a huge game. Tour had huge success under Shaughs previously and did rack up a lot more on the scoreboard than Caherline did against C/M. But games take a life of their own and I don’t know if there is much less firepower in the Wixteds, Brennan, Carroll and Hourigan versus Cian O’Sullivan, Moroney, Dore and Harnett. Maybe Tour have that bit more pace in attack, although it appears as if neither Power are available for Caherline this year. Hard to call, should be very tight, I’ll go with Tour by 2.

Claughaun were one of the biggest underperformers at this grade, in losing to the Bouncers’ second team, that would have been seen as a shock. C/M had a chance to equalise late on against Caherline but were denied and probably didn’t get as much out of CON as they would have hoped, although presumably getting a lot of ‘special’ attention. I can’t back Claughaun after they lost to the Bouncers tbh and, after all, I did predict C/M to win this outright although a paltry tally of 1-10 in their first game doesn’t give huge encouragement. Nevertheless, C/M by 7.

As mentioned above, Garryspillane had a great win while Templeglantine fell by a goal to Tour. They definitely need more from Adam Fitz but I expect them to have too much here, as good as last week’s win for the Bouncers was. I understand that Peter Morrissey was burned in the senior game so didn’t even play last week, with Shane & Ben Ryan carrying most of the scoring burden. Templeglantine by 7.

Junior A Group 3

Sunday August 13
Ahane 2 vs Old Christians @ 12pm in Monaleen
Feenagh/Kilmeedy vs Killeedy @ 1pm in Newcastlewest
Castletown/Ballyagran vs St. Patrick’s @ 7pm in Fedamore

Arguably, the shock of the weekend was Old Christians beating St. Pat’s. I wasn’t totally surprised and was perhaps even more surprised by Ahane only losing by 4 to F/K but, at the start of the year, these two would have been seen as the two weakest teams in the group. While Ahane’s weakest player might be stronger than Old Christians’ weakest player, their strongest player would be nowhere near the calibre of Kevin Howard & Conor Madden. As @slimjim mentioned, Madden was hugely influential in their victory over Pat’s, while Howard scored the two crucial goals. I’m to go with the Rathbane boys to make it two wins from two. Old Christians by 7.

F/K beat Ahane as expected in the first round but only by a margin of four points, while Killeedy fell in a big clash against C/B. This all-West clash is probably the standout Junior fixture of Round 2 (along with Caherline & Tour) with qualification potentially on the line already, at this early stage. While winning won’t guarantee qualification, losing could mean you definitely won’t get there. Killeedy would have a huge amount of ground to make up and negative head-to-head against two of the favourites were they to lose. They only hit 0-13 and I look at their forwards and struggle to see where Cian Magnier Flynn and Jack Ahern are getting their support from. F/K have more options in the likes of Luke Ryan, Maurice Fitzgibbon and Ruairí O’Connor but probably don’t have anyone as good as the Killeedy duo either. Likely to be very tight, very hard to call, I’m going to go with Killeedy with the additional experience they have at doing the job and actually getting to the knockout stages. Killeedy by 2.

C/B got the job done against Killeedy while Pat’s fell to Old Christians. Therefore, on paper, this is only going one way. Pat’s do have the Hegarty brothers and, in attack, a bit of youthful exuberance in the likes of Shane Cross and Kyle Mullins but I do think C/B have a nice balance to their team, with Harry Dore holding it together at centre-back and a wide range of options in attack. Even their bench just looks stronger than most junior teams and having got an opening round win, I expect them to back that up this week. C/B by 5.

Junior A Group 4

Saturday August 12
Bruff 2 vs Mungret/St. Paul’s @ 2pm in Croom
Dromcollogher/Broadford vs Rathkeale @ 7pm in Coolyroe

Sunday August 13
Blackrock 2 vs Doon 2 @ 1pm in Kilteely

Both Bruff and Mungret’s second teams opened their campaigns with a victory, against Blackrock and Rathkeale respectively. I see that Cian O’Brien has been named at 11 for Mungret this week, with Colin Madden named at 7 for Bruff. Both would be huge assets at junior level. I do like the look of that Bruff team with a lot of talented young players in attack but while Mungret may not be as strong as they were a couple of years ago, they have a few players who have experience at higher levels and I think they may just edge this one. Mungret by 3.

D/B came up with a late winner from Damien Burke against Doon in the opening round while Rathkeale fell to Mungret. When you have forwards like Burke at this level, you will have a chance and they do have a lot of pace elsewhere. I like the look of D/B’s attack, even without Derry McCarthy. Rathkeale have loads of pace too, a lot of directness, but I don’t know if they have the same capabilities to take scores from outside and I would expect D/B to take this one. D/B by 4.

Very easy to just write Doon off after hearing the amount of junior players that had to be burned. But, to be fair, they did have another influx of youth, a lot of whom were the ones thrown in to the deep end of senior hurling. Which means they were still able to retain the core of players who were defeated by Patrickswell’s last-second goal in last year’s quarter-final, having done most of the hurling in that game. They fell to a late score last week too but will have taken some heart from going toe-to-toe with last year’s county finalists. Blackrock lost to Bruff and while it wasn’t a huge margin, they probably didn’t have enough to get the job done. Therefore, you’d have to make Doon favourites here; hard to see many more being burned as they will presumably have players returning at senior level from here. Doon by 6.

3 Likes

Lads they are flying it

The absolute fucking state of that roof :joy:

How did it take that long

‘Delegates were also informed that Limerick GAA cleared over €200,000 from three fundraising events; the annual Golf Classic, and the All-Ireland final preview nights at the Woodlands House Hotel and Castletroy Park Hotel.’

That’s a serious wedge to raise. Other counties need to get their own house in order and stop moaning about PJ.

That stand in Mick Neville will be a game changer. Junior B matches in deepest November with two men and a dog in attendance will never be the same again.

1 Like

Will you bring the other fella and his dog with you to the game?

1 Like

Ah jaysus, they’re not going to have the quarter-finals inside in the Gaelic Grounds, are they?

Put them in Kimallock, Bruff or NCW ta fuck.

Disruption to the supply chain in Turkey is what I heard a while back.

Harmless enough you’d say from a county with the profile of the 4 in a row All Ireland Champions

In Askeaton for NCW vs D/A.

Ethan Hurley midfield for NCW, Michael Cremin centre-back.

The cameraman is brutal in Doon.

That floodlight is a dose

Leo hasnt a glimmer.

Cant differentiate between Dan and Tom Morrissey

Poor shooting from us. Need to sharpen up. Two down HT.

HT in Askeaton: Newcastlewest 0-13 Dromin/Athlacca 0-8

NCW have arrived in Championship. The wind is blowing down towards the Arena and NCW are against it but they’re way sharper. D/A’s puckouts are almost too long and NCW sweeping up a lot.

Reidy frees basically keeping D/A in it, they’ve only 3 from play. Bryan Nix and Brian Hurley very lively on the wings for NCW, have 5 from play between them. Eoin Hurley and Con Hayes doing a lot of moving inside too but maybe they haven’t got that return on the scoreboard.

Cian Scully in a boot so he won’t be playing anyway.

1 Like