Limerick GAA 2023-2024.... 5 in a row is not here

The thing is, though, much like Dublin in hurling is that the Limerick hurlers will nearly always win a tug-of-war between a player who is good enough to play county in either code.

And that could stop a couple of potentially top class footballers ever playing.

3 Likes

You are correct but things can change. Would I be correct in saying of the six senior a hurling teams probably less than ten players have played football this year?

I presume nobody has from the well,ahane, killmallock and nap anyway. Doon have some dual lads don’t they as well as kp.

I just think some football orientated clubs are in a very good place in Limerick.

With the way the season works now it’s probably more appealing to play both hurling and football if you are about for the summer too which might benefit football.

Sure whenever Kinnerk decides to manage or coach the footballers we’ll dominate that too.

1 Like

Stephen lavin may be the man if Jimmy Lee can get him involved, although removing him from the academy could be unwise if an adequate replacement isn’t available

To be fair the footballers were in an All-Ireland quarter final over a decade ago.

The likes of Tipperary, Cavan and Wexford have all appeared in football semi finals in recent times. Fermanagh too? Not completely outlandish to say the footballers could appear in a football semi final by 2033.

Couple of things going against that obviously. The most obvious being the hurlers are clearly the bigger draw and so if it comes down to it the footballers will always miss out. Imagine a current football midfield of Hego & WOD…

The second thing is that the chance of underage success is pretty remote. In a great year you might beat either Cork or Kerry but to turn over both is almost impossible. To be fair Tipperary did it at minor and u21 so it can be done.

Also, the structure of the senior championship also makes it harder for teams to make a breakthrough. In the old days you could pick off a beaten provincial finalist in a Round 4 qualifier and be one game from a semi final.

Now, you have to be top 16 through league placings or else beat either Cork or Kerry to make a provincial final. Even then you’ve to get out of a group of 4, win a preliminary quarter final possibly and then an actual quarter final. You don’t have to spring one shock, but three or four of them. The new system suits the counties with greater strength in depth.

2 Likes

Was it 2010 we drew with the cork team that went on to win the all Ireland in ordinary time? We were rode by the ref too. That cork team was the worst football team I’ve seen win an all Ireland in my lifetime in fairness, but still.

The major problem is that football is strong in the West where the population is small and getting smaller.

There are more football clubs in Limerick than hurling, but the football only clubs are very small, and in most of the dual outside the West the football is a distant second.

Yeah, lost to Cork after extra time in TUSGG. A sickener.

2009 was the killer, losing the Munster final in Cork. Cork got a soft enough penalty when they were under pressure, one that got away.

Football can piggy back on Hurlings success. Very clubs are hurling only underage so that means more kids are playing football.

It can change though.

K/p were junior b ten years ago. They’d four on the panel this year and will have at least five on the panel i next year I’d say.

Mungret/monaleen could be similar to them.

Yeah I’d consider the 2009 game the one in which we were rode. The penalty was for nothing and we were by far the better side

I think we actually got a late penalty in 2010 to draw it, when Cork were probably the better team over the 70.

1 Like

K/P were two different teams 10 years ago.

1 Like

I wouldn’t be nearly as positive as @BruidheanChaorthainn on the state of football.

A bit busy today but might try to address it more tonight.

No they had joined by then. Lost a junior b football semi final to foynes.

You’re probably living on the wrong planet for that

Yes Casey’s have withdrawn from intermediate, due to a shallower pool. And Glin have now given a walkover. I think the number of clubs who are really, really pushing for football to succeed is quite small.

1 Like

My point is many of the biggest clubs in the county are taking football seriously.

Fr Casey’s
Newcastle west
Adare
K/p
Monaleen
Nap.

It may still be second fiddle to hurling but it’s still gaining traction in clubs. Where football tends to get a foothold it tends to become the dominant sport.

Now with championship being later in the year fellas who solely focused on soccer can play football as there isn’t an over lap towards the business end of the junior football season which is another benefit i see.

The senior football team benefitted more from the three under 21 winning sides in the early 00s.

The biggest issue is getting the best players on the pitch which isn’t easy to be fair.

St Pats beat Galbally tonight in the box office Limerick Football Intermediate Championship.

1 Like

So there’s benefits to the split season is there?

Lavin is well worth a listen. It was clear to me after 20 minutes watching them in the 2018 semi (it’s taken others a few years to catch on) that limerick had revolutionised hurling, in that they were the first team to run routes, like NFL receivers do. But it wasn’t always the way in NFL, forty years ago receivers used to run around and hope to get into space, quarterbacks hoped to have the time to spot them and pass it to them. ie hurling for everyone else bar limerick to this day. After timed planned runs came into the NFL it changed the game, everyone had to copy an adapt their own version. But you had to be doing it. There’s scope for broken play too but it comes down to waiting to make the right pass. Teams will have to commit to that to beat limerick. None have shown they can so far, Cork and Clare have tried to keep possession to some degree of success, they just aren’t physically able to live with them.but they’ll have to keep trying.

4 Likes