Limerick GAA 2023-2024.... 5 in a row is not here

Junior A Group 1

Thursday August 31
Askeaton vs Kilteely/Dromkeen @ 6.30pm in Ballybrown
Ballybricken/Bohermore vs Monagea @ 6.45pm in Fedamore

Saturday September 16
Patrickswell 2 vs Staker Wallace @ 6pm in Ballybricken

In the junior, both Askeaton & K/D beat the Well’s second team fairly well but both have also suffered disappointing defeats. Willie O’Meara has been in sensational form for Askeaton, hitting 2-10 from play across their two games to date while the return of Darragh Carroll to Kilteely/Dromkeen has been huge for them, he is a real livewire. But James O’Meara and Oisin O’Farrell also carried a big threat for Askeaton the last day while Denis O’Dea was probably the main man for K/D, and there will be no excuses about Brian O’Grady’s performance this time. Very hard to call due to the similar nature of the results both have had, I wonder do Askeaton just have that little bit extra up top? Askeaton by 1.

And the beneficiaries of both Askeaton & K/D dropping points were B/B and Monagea, both of whom have two wins on the board already. Whoever wins this has pretty much one foot in the quarter-final already. I do think Monagea rode their luck a little earlier in the group, despite the wise old heads of Tom O’Callaghan & Seanie Herlihy in attack. They will need more from the likes of James Normoyle & Jamie Baynham if they are to win this one as B/B do have a bit about them, their win over K/D was impressive. I’ll go with B/B by 3.

Not sure why the Well & the Stakers isn’t on for another few weeks. Already effectively a relegation battle and it’s one I would expect the Well to win. They’ll be so disappointed with their results so far but should get this done. The Well by 7.

Junior A Group 2

Thursday August 31
Claughaun vs Templeglantine @ 6.30pm in Ballyagran

Saturday September 2

Crecora/Manister vs Tournafulla @ 2pm in Coolyroe
Caherline vs Garryspillane 2 @ 5pm in Fedamore

I think Claughaun expect to have a few players back which should strengthen their case but not enough, I don’t think. They were comfortably beaten the last day by C/M while Templeglantine got back on track after a narrow defeat on the opening weekend. Glantine should win this fairly comfortably to keep their hopes alive. Glantine by 8.

Huge match in Quaid Park on Saturday afternoon, could definitely be worth a visit as the two sides who have lost to Caherline face-off against each other. Already, this has the feel of a knockout match and is one of the reasons this competition is so cut-throat. Tour have a bit more experience in the latter stages but C/M do have some very decent young players and an ace-in-the-hole in Cathal O’Neill, a truly elite player at this (or any) level. I’m going to tip them on the basis that I don’t think they are a complete one man team either. C/M by 2.

Caherline have two wins on the board already, the Bouncers will be down at least one player, and I just can’t see any result other than a Caherline victory. Caherline by 9.

Junior A Group 3

Friday September 1
Ahane 2 vs St. Patrick’s @ 6.30pm in Claughaun

Saturday September 2
Killeedy vs Old Christians @ 4pm in Mungret
Castletown/Ballyagran vs Feenagh/Kilmeedy @ 6pm in Newcastlewest

Pat’s lost to Christians in the opening round but then Ahane beat Christians while Pat’s shocked C/B. Ahane clearly are better than I thought but I expect Pat’s to get a win here, having recovered from the opening-round victory and with both Hegartys, Sean Mortell, Shane Cross, etc. in form. Pat’s by 5.

Two disappointing results for Killeedy, now they’re fighting to be in the Premier Junior next year. Christians aren’t bad and if Killeedy don’t turn up, it’s not a guaranteed victory but I think if the minds are focused, they should have too much. Killeedy by 4.

This is arguably the game of the weekend. F/K delivered the performance of the round last time out by destroying Killeedy; if they can dispose of C/B too, they’ll basically be in a quarter-final and C/B would be in serious bother. Given both sides’ results against Killeedy, it’s hard not to go with F/K but I expect this to be a serious contest. F/K by 4.

Junior A Group 4

Friday September 1
Blackrock 2 vs Mungret/St. Paul’s 2 @ 6.30pm in Martinstown
Doon 2 vs Rathkeale @ 6.45pm in Mungret

Sunday September 3
Bruff 2 vs Dromcollogher/Broadford @ 6pm in Feenagh

I do think Blackrock are the weakest in this group and, although Mungret mightn’t be as strong as in previous years, they are still in a decent place to get out of this group and should have too much for Blackrock’s second team. Mungret by 7.

Doon’s second team shouldn’t get much weaker and have already picked up a nice win and ran D/B close. Rathkeale scored plenty of goals against D/B but didn’t push them quite as close as Doon did. I just think Doon have that bit more hurling and it’s not like they are lacking the pace and athleticism which Rathkeale definitely have either. Doon by 4.

D/B should have too much for Bruff on Sunday; they will go three from three with a victory and seem to be picking up a bit of momentum. Bruff aren’t bad by any means but D/B’s first team should expect to go very deep into this competition while Bruff were Junior B last year. D/B by 7.

4 Likes

Ahane 0-5 Patrickswell 1-7 at half time.

No score from play for Ahane.

Ahane have hit some bad wides. Byrnes and lynch are lording it.

1 Like

Mungret 1-11 Adare 0-9 HT

Lynch has put on the best display by a distance. Byrnes fumbled a couple of early balls but did well since alright.

Kilteely three up on Askeaton about 5 into the second half. Was level half time

@Aristotle great preview. Could we pick Robbie Hanley and Woulfe to play Intermediate this week?

What a game!!

Sounded like a cracker alright. Congrats on the win. Would seem ye responded well to goal. That’s two puck of the ball losses for our lads now. So near and yet so far. Need a big favour from Monagea now to keep hopes alive

8 Likes

Would Ahane considering putting in a tackle at some stage?

The Well win 2-16 to 2-13. Should have won by more but Ahane will regret the wides. Quality goal finishes from multiple All Ireland medalists Gillane and Morrissey.

3 Likes

Finished Ahane 2-13 Patrickswell 2-16

@balbec ye need a new scoreboard operator. The board had an extra point for the Well and one fewer than actual for Ahane for most of the second half.

Not sure if they knew on the field but Ahane dropped a free in instead of taking the point when two down, albeit it was very late on anyway.

2 Likes

A decent game, the multiple AI winners on both sides had cracking games with 2 X HOTY Cian Lynch the stand out.

1 Like

Sounds like he’s doing a fine job

Some tubby sub from Ahane got red carded on the bench for abusing the linesman and Johnny Murphy.

1 Like

Depends on whether they were in the 15 names submitted at the start of the year.

Be a bit unfair.

Abusing Johnny Murphy shouldn’t be a red card offence tbf

4 Likes

Depends on whether they were regarded after round 1