Limerick GAA 2023-2024.... 5 in a row is not here

Advanced apologies @Aristotle. Nocturnal work commitments preclude me from attending any of this weekend’s hurling action. Perhaps if @dodgy_keeper is in attendance today at Ballyagran for Croagh/Kilfinny vs Hospital, he can oblige with some reportage.

2 Likes

I suspect that may be a paddling.

Apologies thought you were referring to amalgamations of rival parishes at underage.

Indeed Rathkeale were senior until the late 50s. Pretty sure they lost a county final sometime in the 40s/50s. I should have clarified they’ve been Junior B for most of their recent history.

Did they get to the junior a semi finals in hurling seven or eight years ago? They’d one very good hurler might have played minor Limerick. Think he moved
To oz.

They were Junior A for a short period after they won Junior B about 7 or 8 years ago. They got to All Ireland Final in that comp. I can’t recall if they made semi in ‘A ‘ grade or not.

1 Like

Think they did get to a semi, it was the year pats won it, Hego senior was over rathkeale… I think they drew the semi with Kilmallock 2 possibly even drew the replay too!!

Have been well off the pace bar that year Sean sheahan & Paul white have both been abroad since about 2018 and Damian Quaid a county footballer but also a serious hurler hasn’t been seen either since despite only being 34ish now

2 Likes

Ya it’s Sean Sheehan I was thinking off. He was a fine hurler.

Think you are correct re games v killmallock. The standard of junior a has come on since then.

They also lost Eoghan O’Connor relatively young too i think ?

Yeah that’s true.

Clubs that “headhunt” or are constantly transferring in players from surrounding parishes are rightly castigated, though. Less so if transferring between clubs in a large town or city though

Yes, thats despicable, its frowned upon in all amateur sports

It’s tricky do.

The reason Club gaa works is because it’s a community team. If that changed it wouldn’t work.

The money collected to run these clubs in small parishes is admirable.

If it wasn’t locals out on the pitch that money disappear and so would the spirit of the whole thing.

I get your pov but it’s a very difficult balance.

I don’t think Hickey’s transfer is one that should’ve questioned or draw ire. It’s not like he was taking a step up or glory hunting. He was married into the community and living in the area, he was perfectly entitled to transfer.

6 Likes

That was my basically my sentiment but I’m not good at being concise like that.

Limerick senior only went divisional at the start of the 70s. There were usually 10 to 12 senior clubs in the previous half century with half of those in the city and a bunch of “meitheal” senior clubs round the county such as croom. Fedamore, balbec, rathkeale, cappamore and ahane. These clubs drew from the juniors around them.

The junior champions would go up, compete for a few years and return to junior when the local crop ran its course.

Rathkeale drew from all the surrounding clubs with a particular pull from the current st Kierans amalgamation.

2 Likes

And pushing 34 or 35 I’d say.

Just saw the highlights of Doon NAP. Some paddling. Doon didn’t seem to offer much resistance. Looks like they are at nothing this year.

So you’re saying K/P have a chance

1 Like

In fairness they were fucked from the start with the absentees. Wouldn’t give you much confidence in The Well that the Bleshkas managed to pull a result out of it.

I wouldn’t read much in to group games

1 Like

The well had a surprising win v nap. They got caught on the hop in the next game.

You see it so often in sport.