Limerick GAA 2023-2024.... 5 in a row is not here

That or even the year previous

Na youā€™re wrong as well as hickey won a premier intermediate with murroe either 2018 or 2019. Donā€™t think it was really jumping ship as you make out

Dropped down to junior a in 2020 with croagh but I think he barely played at all.

I came across his uncle a few times. A die hard east Limerick hurling man. Any mention off the 07 final and he goes off on one.

Isnt hickey living out that way for years? Correct on winning the county intermediate, i think it was 2016 after a replay?

Does Hickeyā€™s mother still attend games giving a running commentary on the sideline like she used to do when he was in Flannans?

2 Likes

I thought it was post 2018 anyway.

Murroe had a fine team when hickey was younger. Tobin x 3, willie Walsh, paudie Mc and your man Mickey Ryan.

Think soccer is big there now.

He is max a half hour from M/B. He was a limerick player first and foremost, when he left the county scene he gave them a couple of years and jumped ship.

But jumping ship infers he was sort of improving his situation. Heā€™d recently won a premier county title with his club and moved to a junior a team.

2017 was the last time they won it, thats fairly irrelevant bar just being picky to be correct. They have really fallen away now

1 Like

Fair enough but he dropped down the divisions at the time of the switch.

Heā€™d been living in Croagh a good while and I presume his kids were hurling with Croagh too.

Theyā€™re putting it together this year, itā€™s actually a long time since there was so much expectation or hope

When the hurlers are going well in Feenagh you need to watch out for the footballers

Tjats my understanding too. I dont think there was anything with MB just personal circumstances

Seamieā€™s been living in Croagh about 7 or 8 years. His wife is from here. Transferred to us in January 2020 just before the world went nuts. He was injured for most of the 2020 campaign. Regained his fitness the following year and was a massive asset in winning the County Junior A. Funnily enough he has played in the forwards more often than at 6 for us, although he featured at centre back in that county title win. He lined out half forward and full forward respectively in our Intermediate Final defeats in ā€˜21 & ā€˜22.

I cannot speak for his time at Murroe-Boher, but he has been an exemplary player for Croagh-Kilfinny.

18 Likes

I always love when you see real die hards who have kids playing with rival clubs and they have to swallow a pill and row in.

Iā€™d imagine the mental gymnastics are unreal.

Hickey has gotten a bad rap down through the years, unfairly I feel.

As has been mentioned, the mother was a nutter (a Richardson from Boher, so understandable) He was quite immature as a young man as was evidenced by the throwing of the jersey when substituted as a minor out in Kilmallock v Tipperary.

He grew from that, though, to be a great servant to Limerick hurling. Highly intelligent, flexible, a good influence on up and coming players and very popular in the dressing room.

He got his Celtic Cross in 2018 and exorcised the demons of 11 years previous. He married quite young, had kids and had been living in Croagh for some time before transferring. My understanding is there was no issue with M/B when he opted to move.

He was one of those Limerick players that I felt unfairly drew the ire of his own supporters down through the years. David Breen, Timmy Houlihan,Seanie Tobin and Mark Oā€™Riordan were other examples.

May we not forget that plenty felt that way about Declan Hannon too.

EDIT - @Gary_Birtles_Lovechi has covered a lot of it as I was typing.

16 Likes

Niall Moran used get a bastards absue

4 Likes

Seanie Tobin was desperately unfortunate to miss out on kiely and kinnerks management.

He was as consistent as a club hurler as anybody in the county.

Scored some crucial goals for Limerick too despite being on a team who werenā€™t playing to his strengths.

2 Likes

Denis Kelly in Tipp would be a classic of this genre.

Played and managed Toome for years but his son Jerry is playing for Borrisileigh.

He does a bit of commentary for Tipp FM/Clubber now and you know by him heā€™s still died in the wool Toomevara but he has a new found soft spot for Borrisileigh.

1 Like

We join up with Rathkeale for underage hurling but thereā€™s no real rivalry between us at adult level so itā€™s the finest. Rathkeale have fielded hurling sides only at Junior B for most of their existence.
Iā€™d say its a far harder pill to swallow for the likes of Feenagh & Feohanagh coming together (Belville Gaels) or the Tour/Kileedy amalgamation. Glin & Gerald Griffins joining together for Shannon Gaels would be another contentious one.

I donā€™t understand the mentality that people with no involvement in either club or even from another county can get their nose so bent out of shape by a lad transferring clubs in an amateur sport

2 Likes

I was more talking about fellas settling in rival parishes and their kids playing with them.

I thought rathkeale were senior back in the 30s and 40s.

The amalgamations are tough but itā€™s not unusual for west clubs. Sure deel rangers must have started 20 years ago.

I think the key to them is getting them joined underage from 6s to 12s for a few years. Let them go their separate ways and let them realise themselves they are better off together.

Getting outside management for the adult teams when they eventually join up is key too. Youā€™ll always lose a few families along the way but thatā€™s the nature of it I guess.

1 Like