Limerick GAA 2023-2024.... 5 in a row is not here

We’re only the little fish. G/B have won every game. And today’s titanic tussle will stand to them. Croagh didn’t have to get out of third gear to see off Hospital. Not ideal preparation for the upcoming battle in two weeks.

The poor mouth will be off the scale for this one

6 Likes

Amazing, amazing game in Fedamore.

Granagh/Ballingarry 2-31 Murroe/Boher 3-27. AET.

A game for the ages. Epic. Huge credit to both teams for producing one of the best games I’ve ever been at. It ebbed and flowed and then ebbed some more.

There was a fierce breeze and it aided M/B in the first half. And they couldn’t miss in this half as everything they hit went over. G/B were more profligate but a goal kept them in the hunt. 5 down at the break was ok considering the elements.

The men from the west really stepped it up and within 15 mins had taken a two point lead. Then disaster, a long ball in was flicked home by the ever dangerous Seanie Tobin. It was soon level before Mikey Ryan hared through to blast home, a sensational finish. The gap was soon out to 4, as the breeze died down and seemingly so too did G/B’s chances.

But as they’ve done all year they rallied, they kept working like dogs and chipped away at the deficit. Four down, three down, two down, one down. It seemed seemed set to be another semi final one point defeat heartbreak, as in 2022 v Na Piarsaigh but cometh the hour, cometh the man. The great warrior Dodge was summoned from the bench. One last booming clearance dropped into the Murroe defence. It was now or never. O’Grady caught it from the clouds before being fouled. A tap over free in front of the posts. Level. Extra time.

Murroe led by a point at half time in extra time. Aaron Kennedy was incredible. He couldn’t miss, distance or angle made no difference. He nailed each and every one of them. Another 65 had it out to two. G/B point reduced the gap to the minimum before a point effort dropped short and was flicked home by who else but the 2013 Munster title winning captain. Bedlam.

It was now at fever pitch. Subs and injuries galore. Chances went astray. Three quick scores had it out to five. It wasn’t to be the end of the drama, Murroe drilled one goal chance over before the magnificent Kennedy buried a ‘21. All eyes were on ref Mike Sexton, who also reffed the other semi final earlier in the day, and he blew up to both relief and despair. Really gutsy effort from Murroe, a real tough one to lose.

For G/B, it’s a first county final adult first team appearance since 2005. Awaiting is the toughest challenge imaginable in intermediate hurling - the blue and white of Croagh Kilfinny who blitzed Hospital with a devastating display of speed, skill and athleticism. Neighbours and friends meeting in the final, cousins marking each other, players with parents from the other parish and vice versa. It brings back memories of the famous 1994 west junior A final which Croagh won by 0-05 to 0-04.

I’m off for some badly needed pints. Hurling, bloody hell.

18 Likes

NCW the only suitable ground outside TUSGG to hold it

Also, a quick word for Knockaderry. An awful way to be relegated to junior, on penalties. A really proud club, they’ll be back.

Congrats Feohanagh.

2 Likes

Will they be back do you think? Or is that generation gone old and they’ll struggle? They were Junior A a long time before they got up. Have they anything coming through?

Awful. Surely room for a replay. Hopefully they fix that next year

MNP an option?

The first choice is Mick Neville Park. But it’s dependent on the electricians being finished doing their thing with the stand. It is structurally completed, minus the last bit of wiring.

If Mick Neville isn’t finished, then I’m being told NCW will hold it.

1 Like

Ah yeah, I had forgotten that would be possibly available

1 Like

The Children’s Hospital will be built faster than that fucking stand :joy:

1 Like

NCW is a better “venue” than MNP so I’d hope it’s there. Makes for a better atmosphere.

4 Likes

Ya MNP is far too open. You need an enclosed cauldron for atmosphere

1 Like

I saw the fixture schedule but can’t find it now.

Which hurling finals are Saturday or Sunday in 2 weeks time?

Senior on Saturday

Simon all day long & tomorrow

What was the one that hit Dowling on the shin and he didn’t even move. Hard to pick one tbf

Simon was fierce static for his but actually didn’t hit it as bad as he was shaping up to it. DOD’s was the one that went straight down the middle and hit Dowling’s leg.

Casey though. He hit the ball off the ground about two yards in front of himself.

1 Like

Worst penalty shoot out I’ve ever seen in any sport.

2 Likes

Twas like watching camogie highlights.

4 Likes