Limerick GAA 2023-2024.... 5 in a row is not here

After a great game it was awful

A serious day of club hurling in Limerick tbf. Lots of really close contests which you don’t always get in knockout hurling but it certainly makes it entertaining for the punter.

Croagh/Kilfinny were the only team who had a comfortable victory and they now have a clash against their neighbours in two weeks time. A third final in a row for them, they’ll be hoping it’s third time lucky.

A bit of experience from Blackrock seemed to tell against Effin; maybe slightly heavy conditions helped them too. They did get what I thought was a fairly soft penalty just before half-time which was crucial. Ruairí O’Shaughnessy was picked out nicely by Colm O’Keeffe but he had no hurley as he went through on goal. There were hands laid on him alright but he went down very easily and I did think it was a soft penalty. Paudie Leahy buried it and it gave them a nice lead at half-time. Effin fought back and cut the gap to one but Blackrock reeled off a few scores in the last few minutes to run out 5-point winners. Richie Mac threw over one from inside in his own half, Liam Walsh got a great score from out the field; experienced heads popping up and then one of the young guns, Colm O’Keeffe, intercepted a puckout and threw over another. O’Donovan had a couple of moments of magic but was generally well held and Richie did much better in his battle with O’Kelly than he did a month ago. Fair play to Blackrock for getting there without Quilty, Dawson, Palmer, Heffernan, etc. Very disappointing from Effin who will feel that Blackrock are a team they should be beating.

On the other side of the group, Dromin/Athlacca beat Bruff. Didn’t see this one but seems like D/A were the better team, David Reidy very influential around the middle as you would expect. Bruff got a fortuitous goal from a Darragh Butler free but seems like D/A were the better team and scores from Reidy & O’Leary at the end saw them win by 2. Don’t think many had Blackrock (despite just coming down) & D/A as finalists; but that’s the beauty of the Premier Intermediate Championship; so even and so hard to call. There’s a lot of work in getting to the semi-final but get that done and you have a real chance.

Then in the Intermediate relegation, it seemed at one point that Feohanagh were going to kick on. They scored a goal to go a good few points clear but Knockaderry rallied and produced a fair comeback. I think Feohanagh even ended up having to equalise to bring it to extra-time and then all the way to penalties. 3-1 it finished on penalties, doesn’t sound like the greatest display of penalty-taking of all time. A horrible way to get relegated. Whatever about getting knocked out in a semi-final on penalties, to have years & years of hurling at the Intermediate grade vanish after a penalty shootout is tough going. Hard luck to Knockaderry… sounds like Condon stepped up again with a few big moments but it wasn’t enough. I wouldn’t necessarily say they’ll find it easy to come straight back up either. They’ll challenge but Junior is a bearpit.

And then after the drama there, you had the senior game which I haven’t seen any of. Fair play to Doon, I had them written off and it sounds like they probably should have won it. Again, when Na Piarsaigh underperform, you have to put them to the sword. I’ll look forward to watching that one back. Adam English is some player but for Doon to match NaP with all their injured backs is impressive. You really have to think that one day they will manage to get their whole team fit & ready all at once and they will win a county title. They won another U-17s at the weekend, the only one of the current big 4 who are still consistently competing at the latter end of the minor Championship over the past few years as Monaleen, Mungret & NCW have been the other big teams since the Ballybrown & Garryspillane all-conquering teams. But Na Piarsaigh get it done… just about. I’d say they were nervy enough when it came to penalties tbh.

I was in Fedamore for the unbelievable drama there. A superb game of hurling; passion, intensity, all those buzzwords, it had it in buckets. There was a wind which did have an impact on the game but both sides went through spurts both into & with the wind. G/B were favourites but M/B did fairly well with the wind. When G/B got their first half goal, they went level and you thought they were in a great position heading into the break but M/B responded very well to go in 5 points up. The start of the second half was all G/B and it looked like they were going to push clear when M/B got a fortuitous goal through Mikey Ryan Ned. And then Mikey Ryan Maddaboy scored an absolutely sensational goal, roasting his marker and coming in along the endline. There were some contentious decisions for both sides, M/B got a dodgy '65 in extra-time, I thought G/B maybe got a couple of softish frees to level things up in normal. Dodge proved to be the matchwinner, he scored an unbelievable point on the angle against the wind in extra-time before getting his hurley to flick the crucial winning goal (having already won a massive free in normal time after catching the ball in behind his marker). Aaron Kennedy, who was flawless on placed balls all afternoon, absolutely buried a 20-metre free and you thought maybe we’d be heading to penalties in that one too but they got their short puckout away and Sexton blew the full-time whistle.

I thought the two Mikey Ryans were unbelievable for M/B, Neddy carried them in the first half and Maddaboy took some amount of punishment in the second half (I thought he was very unlucky not to get a penalty in the second half when he was absolutely clattered after playing the ball). Eoghan Bourke, Euan Sheridan, Darragh Kennedy; huge performances from all of them, Seánie Tobin got some very nice scores. For G/B, Dodgy came off the bench and made a big impact. Cathal O’Keeffe buzzed around the place and picked off a few nice scores, as did Sean O’Connor. Luke Flynn was their target man as usual but maybe didn’t get as much scores as he had been getting. Jack Cagney was really good at 6 and both Darragh Casey and Paudie Murphy got through a lot of work.

3-27 to 2-31 is some scoring.

Lastly, the Junior relegation, I’m only just after finding out the score, apparently Claughaun edged out the Stakers. Again, wasn’t really sure where they were with players back and who they really had been missing before but they got the job done and stay Junior A for another year. The Stakers now have to face into a relegation final against their neighbours, Blackrock. And may even find a few of their former players in the Blackrock ranks. Nothing against Blackrock, but I hope the Stakers win that one. If they keep their heads and perform how they can, I think they should, they have some decent players for that level.

Some day of it. Almost a pity it was all packed into one day and didn’t get to see more of it live. I know we have another three big ones tomorrow.

4 Likes

Fuckin joke.downes should have been sent off in the first half of normal time…but he ends up taking the winning penalty in sudden death of penalties.typical.johnny murphy

2 Likes

Croagh/Kilfinny 2-17 Hospital/Herbertstown 0-13

The Westerners entered this semi final as overwhelming favourites, having dished out a 17 point hammering to Hospital/Herbertstown only six weeks ago on their way to topping Group 1.

Any encouragement Hospital got from last weekend’s thrilling win over neighbours Knockainey was tempered as early as the 4th minute - Croagh #15 Brian Flynn drilling home an easy goal after a defence splitting run and pass from All Ireland winner Seamus Hickey.

The men from the south were aided by a strong breeze in the opening period, and gave as good as they got for most of the first half. A couple of classy early points from half forward Conor O’Grady keeping them in touch. Ahead 1-3 to 0-3 after 12 minutes, Croagh/Kilfinny struck the next four points, Cian O’Carroll, Josh O’Connor and Seamus Hickey doing the damage.

A heavy downpour on the quarter hour mark sent those on the open side galloping for the shelter of the stand, and made for greasy and slippery conditions. With the result being that scores dried up for the final ten minutes of the half. A couple of Conor O’Grady and Harry Fox points subsidising Hospital, while Jack Lenihan and Brian Hannan were among the Croagh scorers, who retired to the sanctuary of Ballyagran dressing room one with a 1-8 to 0-5 lead.

Seamus Hickey caught everything in that first half, and was involved in a lot of what Croagh/Kilfinny did well. His ability to pick a pass or find space is uncanny.

The start of the third quarter was where Croagh won the game. They reeled off six consecutive points in the opening nine minutes, to surge ahead 1-14 to 0-5. Cian O’Carroll was immaculate from frees, hitting ten points from as many placed balls.

Hospital found their feet and scored 4 of the next five points through Conor O’Grady, Harry Fox and Mikey Bob Ryan. Croagh/Kilfinny’s greater fluency around the half back line and midfield meant they were never really in trouble, Adam Shanagher and Josh O’Connor at 8 and 9 respectively gave a master class in ball retention and support running.

Any lingering hopes of a Hospital comeback for the second week running were crushed by a superb team goal from Croagh on 48 minutes. Hickey with the reverse shoulder pass to an on running Eoin Barry, who laid it off to the onrushing Cian O’Carroll to bury a bullet shot low past Lorcan Costello to the bottom corner.

From there on in the game petered out as a contest, as both sides hit some bad wides. A late goal chance for Hospital saw Keith O’Connor’s effort rebound off Croagh keeper Dave Lynch’s foot and spin up over the bar. It summed up Hospital’s day.
In truth, Croagh never threatened to get out of third gear today, and they didn’t need to. They never looked like losing this game at any time.

Croagh had good performances in every line, but MOTM must go to Seamus Hickey. He was a colossus. Seamie Lenihan at left half back ran him close for the award. Others to impress for Croagh/Kilfinny included Barry Lenihan, Mark Storan, Denis Lenihan, Jack Lenihan, Adam Shanagher, Josh O’Connor, Cian O’Carroll and Brian Hannan.
The trio of Conor O’Grady, Harry Fox and Mikey Bob Ryan did their best to keep Hospital in the game. Too many of their team mates were second best on the day.

This now means Croagh/Kilfinny will play near neighbours and rivals Granagh/Ballingarry in an all West county final, with the Knockfierna men surely going in as slight favourites - having come through the group phase unbeaten and overcoming a stern test from Murroe/Boher in todays second semi.

Saturday week is going to be Box Office!
:large_blue_circle::white_circle:
:green_circle::black_circle:

10 Likes

For the second Intermediate Semi, I thought Darragh Kennedy of Murroe/Boher and Ballingarry’s Seanie O’Connor were the two best players on the park. Kennedy cut out so much ball, he seemed to be everywhere. Fielded a few great high balls too. Always found a man with his passes.
Ditto O’Connor for GB, 0-20 is incredible scoring at any grade, including 0-5 from play. He’s just a bundle of energy and was involved in everything.

Murroe/Boher will be kicking themselves, they had it won (almost!). But you have to credit Dodgy, won the free that drew the game for Ballingarry in normal time. Then a beautiful little flick for the goal, followed two minutes later by a point from an outrageous angle. He might not have the pace anymore, but still he has the superior hurling brain. You can’t beat experience.

Mikey Ryan Maddaboy is a great name

2 Likes

Feenagh/Kilmeedy five points up v Kilteely/Dromkeen here at half time in Kilmallock in the junior semi final.

2 Likes

The junior is such a bear pit you can never say with certainty you’ll get back up. Look at Caherline this year.

I saw Knockaderry a few times this year and thought they were better than one or two other teams in the division but that’s the way it goes. A bitter pill to swallow.

Croagh fucked over Knockaderry. We put out the 21s against Kilmallock as we were already guaranteed to finish top. Kilmallock win and go ahead of Knockaderry in group. If Croagh put out a strong side, Kilmallock don’t win, and they finish level with Knockaderry in the group. Knockaderry finish above them on the head to head basis.
So you’d have Kilmallock vs Feohanagh in relegation final.

Ye will be rewarded one day

1 Like

Sounds prophetic :grin:

Any update from Feenagh v Kilteely @dodgy_keeper

Feenagh won 0-20 to 2-8

1 Like

They’ll surely win the whole thing out now. Can’t see either Mungret or Monagea stopping them.

Should do now .

All over.

Feenagh/Kilmeedy 0-20 Kilteely/Dromkeen 2-08

F/K advance to the county junior hurling final. Diarmuid Coleman accounted for exactly half their total, he was flawless on the dead balls. He capped off a fine individual display with a majestic pointed sideline out by the ‘45 in the dying embers. 9 frees and the sideline made up his haul.

At 0-18 to 0-08 and seemingly coasting, two late goals gave Kilteely a glimmer of hope but two Coleman efforts steadied the ship to ease them home. They were just that bit sharper in their play and had a greater threat up front. Three from play for John O’Gorman while Luke Ryan and Sean Kelly each bagged a brace of white flags.

The other semi final between Monagea and Mungret 2 is currently underway in Adare.

The county senior and premier inter finals are set for saturday week (open to correction but think it’s down as a double header in HQ).

Could they play the junior A and intermediate finals as a double header on the Sunday…?

F/K v Monagea and G/B v C/K would shake west limerick to its very core. Would be the biggest occasion out west since an inebriated Eric Bristow played a charity darts match in the Croagh Tavern in the 80’s and trousered a ball of cash for his efforts…!

2 Likes

We’ll be seeing plenty of her on Sunday evenings I hear.

Unreal from Byrnes

Kilmallock hanging on a bit here