Limerick GAA 2023-2024.... 5 in a row is not here

They’ll have to go all ticket for Ballygran. @dodgy_keeper it’ll be worst than the AIF

1 Like

I won a school league semi final in Ballyagran about 29 years ago. Clinging to that as a lucky omen.

Croagh have already played twice in Ballyagran this year ( v Hospital in the group stage and the semi final). Plus they played the final v Na Piarsaigh there last year also I think. Advantage Croagh.

It’ll draw a massive crowd. Will imagine a fair amount of people will go to the junior final in Kilmallock and tip over to Ballyagran after. Ballyagran has a savage surface in fairness. Mark Foley the real winner with that venue!

Thought it would be Mick Neville or NCW but it makes no difference. It already has the vibes of Galway v Waterford in 2017. It’s going to be a tough one to lose but that’s GAA for you.

Wish I had other hobbies like cars or stamp collecting. Life would be far easier. Good luck trying to get any work done next week.

1 Like

Ballyagran is a quality venue. Standing on the bank is a lovely spot.

I can’t wait for it. Will be great to see another West team Premier Intermediate next year. The West is rising. Would make it 4 East sides in the first two tiers and 3 West.

2 Likes

Why is it that they don’t play all county finals in TUS Gaelic Grounds? I see all the cork finals were/are on in Pairc Ui Chaoimh and even Junior B in Pairc Ui Rinn.
Would be a brilliant day out for club players who might never have played in a big venue.

Most club players would rather a packed out smaller venue with a raucous atmosphere than a soulless GG.

5 Likes

I don’t believe that, I’m sure theirs a few feenagh players for example who have never played an adult game in GG. I think all county finals should be in the county grounds!

1 Like

Nah, disagree strongly.

County finals should be in Kilmallock, Bruff, NCW, Ballyagran.

I wouldn’t even play the senior final in the Gaelic Grounds unless it was a double header (which I think it will be this year).

We’ve been in 5 county finals in recent years and the one in Kilmallock was definitely the best atmosphere wise.

12 Likes

I agree atmosphere wise, GG is brutal.
But I’m just thinking in terms of dressing rooms & surface it would feel like a final.

The rain falling this week will have all club pitches in very heavy states.

Final point would be the presentation looks much better seeing a team lift a cup in the Mackey, opposed to on pitch level or infront of dressing rooms. Just my preferences

What about Askeaton :flushed:

bobs burgers grasping at straws GIF

2 Likes

And it has begun :laughing:

1 Like

Any predictions who will be the referees for the upcoming county finals??

Johnny Murphy -Senior
John O Halloran - Prem Inter
Eamon Stapleton - Inter
Mikey Browne - Junior

2 Likes

Mike Mann - Senior
Seanie Hartnett - Prem Inter
Mikey Browne - Inter
John McGrath - Junior

8 Likes

Davy Dillane will surely get the football final if he don’t get a run out for the hurling! Jim Long would have been a shoe in for the Junior hurling only for F/K being involved!

1 Like

Flaherty’s time is now…

He wouldn’t referee a cock fight!

4 Likes

Be a big challenge for MB… other 3 capable.

Kilcoo solicitor on GAA appeals: ‘There are no loopholes – there are just rules’

Kilcoo’s appeal against the appointment of a referee for a county final went all the way to the DRA and has shaken the Association and asked more questions than the membership felt comfortable with. John Fogarty spoke to solicitor Conor Sally who represented Kilcoo, about it and the area of GAA appeals

Kilcoo solicitor on GAA appeals: 'There are no loopholes – there are just rules'

Tyrone delegate Conor Sally speaking during day two of the GAA Annual Congress 2023 at Croke Park in Dublin. Photo by Piaras Ó Mídheach/Sportsfile

THU, 19 OCT, 2023 - 06:45

JOHN FOGARTY

Social share

By his estimation, last Saturday was Conor Sally’s seventh Disputes Resolution Authority (DRA) hearing meeting this year.

The Omagh solicitor doesn’t believe the GAA rules should entitle any unit to appeal against the appointment of a referee. Paul Faloon he rates as an excellent match official, even once filling in for him as an umpire.

Yet when he was contacted by Kilcoo, it was his professional responsibility to inform them they were permitted as per the GAA Official Guide to appeal Down’s decision to appoint Faloon to last Sunday’s county senior football final.

Sally also knew it would be a high bar to prove Faloon was biased against the club and he told Kilcoo as much. Nevertheless, when he was approached by them he understood a case could be made for interim relief seeing as the GAA’s Official Guide does not prevent a unit from contesting the appointment of a referee.

That wasn’t always the case. Up to early 2012, the rulebook did not facilitate such an appeal and other county committee decisions such as the arrangement for the date and venue of a game providing required notice is given.

Sport Top Pics

However, the rule changed following Congress that year to state that no appeal could be made “outside the county”.

Therefore, one could be launched inside it. For that very reason, Sally was able to successfully make a case for Tinryland that the date for the Carlow Division 1 football final against Éire Óg as set by the county’s competitions control committee was not in keeping with the league’s regulations.

A member of Ulster’s competitions control committee as well as being chairman of his club Omagh St Enda’s, part of the Tyrone executive and one of their Annual Congress delegates, Sally has sat and often sits on both sides of the table. He is immersed in the association but his perspective is rounded by his day job.

“The very fact the rulebook allows a rule to appeal against the referee must mean in some circumstances it’s successful. You can’t have a rule to allow an appeal that’s going to fail 100% of the time.

“You’ll often hear ‘he’s using a technicality’ or ‘he’s using a loophole’. Well, there are no loopholes – there are just rules. All the people are using rules. The DRA panel have lawyers and an administrator or experienced GAA member and they judge the case as it stands before them.

“The hearing is about whether or not the infraction occurred or didn’t occur. The appeal don’t look at that, they look for a breach of rule or an injustice. If you don’t have that argument, it’s thrown out.” Sally fully expects the GAA, be it the Down County Board or the rules advisory committee, to shore up the rule that allowed Kilcoo bring their case as far as the DRA.

“You shouldn’t be allowed to appeal against a referee or a fixture or a venue. It’s hard enough for people to make fixtures and appointments and it’s hard enough work especially at county level where a lot of it is done by volunteers.

“It means at provincial and national level where there are a lot of full-time employees dealing with these matters you can’t appeal these things whereas perversely you’re entitled to at club level. I have no doubt somebody come Congress will have a motion to rectify this.

“There is enough common sense within governing bodies of the GAA that issues with referees can be discussed. We’re all GAA people and we can overcome a lot of things even though we don’t get on with each other. I don’t think we need a rule to allow for it because it’s a very hard judgement call for anybody to make.”

Referee Paul Faloon during the Ulster GAA Football Senior Championship quarter-final match between Cavan and Armagh at Kingspan Breffni in Cavan. Photo by Stephen McCarthy/Sportsfile

Referee Paul Faloon during the Ulster GAA Football Senior Championship quarter-final match between Cavan and Armagh at Kingspan Breffni in Cavan. Photo by Stephen McCarthy/Sportsfile

No sooner had Saturday’s hearing finished when Sally was being contacted again about a possible DRA case. ‘Tis the season for it, he says.

“At this time of year when you have county semi-finals and finals, somebody gets sent off and the club want every nth analysed. The same way they might order in an extra physio or masseuse to keep their players, they’ll do all they can to have them.

“Quite often, we will tell clubs and managers to take it on the chin, there’s nothing in it for them. What I find is when people get 48 or 96-week bans they have nothing to lose so they’re always going to request a hearing and appeal.

“I think it was brilliant the GAA moved away from the four-week ban. I remember (in 2008) Darragh Ó Sé walking off the field thinking he was going to miss the All-Ireland final because of the ban only for Cork to force a semi-final replay.”

Through his club and county, Sally put forward a motion that a player who hits another on the field of play and inflicts harm should receive a minimum ban of three months. However, the rules advisory committee did not sanction it be put on the Clár of Congress. “We had a player who had his jaw broke in a minor game and the guy who did it got a one-match ban. There’s not enough of a deterrent.”

He disputes the point often made that not enough players and management figures take their medicine.

“A lot of the time the media drive a negative narrative about a case and it’s understandable because most matches on our the weekends, the reports are published in the newspapers on Monday and during the summer Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday the column inches have to be filled. So what better than ‘there’s an appeal in Croke Park tonight’. It catches the imagination of people.

“An awful lot of people believe if you do the crime, you do the time but that’s a very lazy attitude because sometimes some of these players have done nothing wrong.

“We have to remember that when we make rules in the GAA they apply to Con O’Callaghan and to the reserve footballer in Division 3 in the county. The inter-county player has the advantage of his incident being on eight different camera angles. The reserve player that was sent off, the referee mightn’t have seen it but his marker is lying on the ground with blood running out of him.

“I have encountered cases that have gone to the criminal court with incidents that happened on the field and in one instance a referee who gave his statement to the police said, ‘I didn’t see the incident, I was 90 metres from it. However, when I went down the field, the No 3 was lying on the ground with blood coming out of his nose so I sent off the No 14.’

“That player received a suspension but that evidence for a police statement was absolutely useless because the referee hadn’t seen the incident. He had done what he thought was right.

“The perception is that the inter-county player has an easier run but they have the advantages of camera angles and by the time they’re out of the stadium everyone knows if they did or didn’t do it.”

A prime example of the benefits of inter-county came in 2021 when Sally advised the Limerick hurlers and forward Peter Casey in challenging his red card against Waterford in the All-Ireland SHC semi-final. A recording of referee John Keenan’s in-game audio was sought and provided in which he was found to take the advice of his umpire over his linesman in dismissing Casey, the suspension was overturned and Casey played the final.

After a failed attempt by Tipperary in the wake of Jason Forde’s ban in 2017 to define the “contributing to a melee” rule, Sally would like to clear it up once and for all.

“Right now, it could mean going in to separate two people because you’re still contributing to it.”

He also takes issue with the “at the discretion of the committee-in-charge” line dotted around the rulebook. “If you look at the statute, you’ll always have a maximum sentence but we have this discretion line. That’s unlimited and could be anything.”

Sally says the GAA owe a debt to DRA secretary, former Offaly hurler Rory Hanniffy, who he expects by year’s end will have organised 50 hearings in 2023. That nobody has sought to go beyond it to the High Court is an indication of the respect in which both it and the GAA disciplinary system is now held.

“These are all worked out within the organisation. The system works, the system’s good. It can always be made better but by and large the process is phenomenal when you think you have a hearing, an appeal and the DRA to right what you think is wrong. That avenue’s open to the inter-county player as it is the reserve player.”

Appealing against referees has happened plenty of times in Limerick to my knowledge. Generally not after an appointment has been made though.
Clubs have submitted in writing to the County Board that they don’t want certain referees doing their games.