Limerick GAA 2023-2024.... 5 in a row is not here

Dramatic developments.

The big game of the weekend now throws in at Ballyagran on Sunday at the slightly earlier time of 2pm.

We’ll know our fate an hour earlier now. An extra hour to drown the sorrows/celebrate.

3 Likes

There’s a big shower forecast for the early afternoon but it should clear up then.

Last few years the Well have been taking their points from far out the field. I suppose in the hope to draw out the backs and free up space inside for Gillane. It’s worked for them but as you say weather mightn’t suit that tomorrow.

We’ll work the sliotar through the lines better and hopefully get a few goals. If the Well get in front at all, they’ll kill off the game like only they know how. They could be one point up with 20 minutes to play and they’ll still try slow the game up. So a good start is vital.

I bumped into Shane O’Neill yesterday. He’s in good form and relaxed. We didn’t discuss tactics.

1 Like

A pity. You could have given him a few tips.

I think the Well have a bit more razzmatazz @peddlerscross and will shade it.

1 Like

:sweat_smile: :rofl: :joy:

Tried that with a senior manager 20 years ago.
He didn’t talk to me for six months after.
Credit, where credit is due.
They deserve respect.

1 Like

I agree.

The Well’s time is now.

Any pubs in Manchester be showing this? cc @Copper_pipe

Granagh/Ballingarry v Croagh/Kilfinny, CIHC final 2023. Ballyagran, 29/10/2023, 14:00 hours.

So, it’s almost upon us. It’s fair to say the two best teams are still standing going into this weekend. Bruree, Knockainey, Feohanagh and Murroe/Boher would all have held aspirations of winning it out at the outset of the campaign but it’s the neighbours and westerners who’ll do battle for the right to reach the promised land of Lyons of Limerick premier intermediate hurling in 2024.

It’s rare in GAA for neighbouring clubs to not hate each other but that’s very much the case here. It’s mostly to do with the fact they haven’t met each other all that often. From G/B famously winning the junior A on an amazing day in Dromcollogher back in 1998 to the sides meeting in the opening round in 2022, they didn’t meet each other at all in championship hurling.

Croagh have had a fairytale few years. Won the junior A in 2020 before reaching back to back finals. In 2021 Effin were easily the best team in the competition and Croagh probably surpassed expectations by getting to the decider. Last year they were improved again, but came acropper against a studded Na Piarsaigh 2 outfit.

To reach a fourth consecutive county final - and third at this level - is just phenomenal consistency. They put out the kids against Kilmallock 2 in a last day dead rubber, having already secured a semi final berth, but other than that they’ve steamrolled all before them in this campaign. Open to correction but I think apart from that Kilmallock 2 game they haven’t conceded a goal all year? @Gary_Birtles_Lovechi will be able to confirm. Both Lenihan’s and Storan have been flawless all year, and of course David Lynch (a former Ballingarry AFC player) is top class in all aspects of ‘keeping,

The platform for their dominance is Josh O’Connor (his mother is a Ballingarry woman) and Adam Shanagher. Two physically abrasive, pacy, athletic players who have been the standout midfield pairing at this level all year long. They love the nitty gritty stuff and inevitably win most rucks in matches. To have any chance whatsoever of winning the Michael O’Leary Memorial Cup G/B have to gain some foothold in here and stop the two boys bossing proceedings.

Bryan Flynn, a pre season signing from Adare, has been a very useful asset to Croagh. A real speedster, another option inside. Cian O’Carroll has barely missed a free all campaign long, from the first night v Pallasgreen in Mungret up to the semi final v Hospital. Brian Hannan has emerged as a real leader, his four points against Bruree marked him out as a top forward at this level.

Seamus Hickey was the main man in the semi final, and indeed all year long. Scoring, creating, winning frees, winning puckouts, popping up in the full forward line, popping up in the half backline. He covers some ground. He’s going to do damage, all you can do is limit it as best you can.

Jack Lenihan, previously a free scoring full forward, has lorded it all year at wing back but Croagh threw a curve ball in the semi final. They placed him wing forward in a direct swap with his namesake Seamie. Will they stick or twist again on Sunday?

For 6/4 outsiders G/B, well it has been a decent campaign. Blew Knockainey and Feohanagh away in the first week, possibly surprising their supporters as much as anyone. The team is now backboned by the u21 B county winning team of a couple of years back. Put up decent scores in the group stage but the quality of the opposition might not have been the strongest.

The semi final was the first match all year they had it put up to them but they roared back into it when their backs were against the wall. They’ll take some belief from that. Strange to say about a team who scored 2-31 but about four of the starting forwards would have been disappointed with their own individual display v Murroe/Boher. If four of the G/B forwards have an off day this Sunday then the cup will be in Neville’s Cross on Sunday night with blue and white ribbons on it.

G/B last won adult hurling championship silverware in 2005. Croagh have never been as high as premier intermediate. It just has the feeling of Galway v Waterford in 2017. It’ll be a tough one for the vanquished.

Unreal colour in both parishes over the last fortnight. Flags and well wishes hanging off nearly every available lamp post. You’d swear it was a senior county final. Declan O’Driscoll will be the man in the middle, he hasn’t reffed many games at this grade this year but it should be a tough but clean battle between two sides who like to play the game in the right spirit.

Paddy Carroll Park will be heaving on Sunday so get there early. Hurling - it’s the hope that kills you.

14 Likes

I’m on team GB as my father was from there there and still plenty of cousins around the area.

1 Like

I’m throwing my hat in with team GB too. Croagh were our bitter rivals in the hey day of the West Junior A. They’ve long left us behind but still. Fuck Croagh

2 Likes

That’s what i like. Never underestimate begrudgery. It’s a quality that doesn’t get the credit it deserves.

4 Likes

The two games tomorrow should be tight enough.

Actually all four of the finals this weekend should be close. Will stick my neck out and say at least one of them will be a draw after full time in normal time.

Tenner on draws in both senior and premier intermediate and another tenner on the draw double.

1 Like

Many a scrap between ourselves and Askeaton in Junior A matches of the 90s, early 00s. We used to hate ye.

Nowadays, meh.

They used to be great occasions. Be hundreds at the games and a viscous atmosphere on the field and in the stands. Always a scrap.

2 Likes

Knockaderry goaled against us inside the opening ten minutes. Apart from that game and Kilmallock 2, Club CK haven’t conceded a goal.

Is Shanagher a Croagh man playing football with Rathkeale or a Rathkeale man playing hurling with Croagh?

The latter I think, @Gary_Birtles_Lovechi will be able to clarify.

He’s a very good footballer. Shanagher I mean, not G_B_L

2 Likes

Is it true that the G/B lads have been calling them Choke/Kilfinny?

2 Likes

Born and reared in Croagh, mother from the parish, father from Roscommon.

1 Like

Not playing football with rathkeale?