Limerick GAA 2023-2024.... 5 in a row is not here

Anything else from the managerial merry go round?

Jesus Prendergast is some mercenary

1 Like

He did a great job with Drom way back when.

1 Like

He did; he probably should have added to his haul.

By my reckoning he’s had stints with Knockainey, Erins Own, St Mary’s, Moycarkey, 3 different ones with Drom-Inch and a year with Clonoulty also. I’m probably missing a few there

2013 was the one!

1 Like

It was alright. He came back in 2016 but the Drom lads felt his methods were becoming fairly dated and stale; He was doing the same drills in training with them as he was 8 years earlier in 2008 when he first trained them. His training methods would be fairly old school; military type training in a shit covered paddock in February and March, 2 trainings and a match at weekends etc.

In summer time, lads would be told to “bring the old hurleys” to the field ahead of a rigorous physical session as if flaking each others with the hurleys would be still commonplace like it would have been in the 80s :smiley:

1 Like

Christy anything to Patsy?

I’ve been out of the loop recently but I think the Well are still looking. Presume Shano will stay on with NaP, and I guess Fergie will stay with Doon having only joined halfway through. Think Flynn is gone from Ahane aswell.

Dromin/Athlacca were looking for a new fella after getting promoted. Presume Adare will also be looking for somebody new after a poor year.

I think Peter Finn is taking over Dromin/Athlacca.

1 Like

Some bits from last night’s County Board 2024 Championship Preview meeting of City/West clubs in Woodlands (South/East meeting Thursday night in Bulgaden Castle)……

No changes in football at all, every grade is staying as it was in '23.
In hurling, Senior, Premier and Intermediate are staying as they are, with seeded teams in the two Intermediate groups.
The top level of Junior will be split into Premier and Junior A, with two groups of six in each grade.
Junior B will stay the same format as last year, but may start a month earlier. Players will still be able to regrade from a higher level to Junior B after the first round of championship games. Junior C competition will be facilitated if there is enough demand for it.

Minor (u18) Championship games will be played on Wednesday evenings, from end of July to September. The format will be groups of four.
U21s will again be in October with groups of 3 or 4.
County Board has asked that clubs let them know by middle of February at the latest, whether clubs will be playing as they are, or amalgamating with neighbouring clubs, for Minor and 21s.

County Board are concerned by the amount of walkovers in the County League. They intend to offer proposals for a better league format in February’s County Committee meeting. They’re asking clubs to advise what format (i.e. divisional or county wide) they would prefer, and if a club’s final placing (e.g. relegation/promotion) should be linked to their relevant grade in championship.

7 Likes

Can’t really connect league and championship unless all players are available from counties squads.

League just isn’t as relevant as before and a lot of clubs are down players who are living and won’t travel home until nearer championship.

There’s no need link league to championship (given Championship has a decent league stage already).

I would suggest a league of 6 or 8 teams, with promotion and relegation. For year one the league position could be decided by the clubs championship position the previous year. E.g. the 6 quarter/semi finalists in Senior are Division 1 and work back from there (with the intermediate grade winners replacing the relegated team in Div 2).

Promition relegation determines the groups for following year then. Plus get a sponsor on board like in the past whereby there was an ONeills voucher for the league winners.

The thinking behind it is to combat the amount of walkovers being given.

They need to sort the walkovers in Championship first

When you mention u21 do you mean u20? I thought it was being regraded after this year

1 Like

Yes my bad, I meant 20s. So much fuck acting with age grades I do forget at times.

2 Likes

6 Limerick lads starting for ard scoil.

15 from hospital

And 3 of them are from South Limerick with about half the distance to Hospital as to Ard Scoil :joy:

That Collins from Clonlara is a serious hurler.

1 Like

Clare do seem to have a few exciting young lads coming through.