Limerick GAA 2023-2024.... 5 in a row is not here

Corner backs were near 40?

Also, 2 backroom?

Bate Kileedy in the first round. Kileedy will be in tier 6 this year (if you count senior a and b as two separate which I would)

Some fall from grace

Rural depopulation?

In one… rural areas west of Rathkeale are struggling for numbers (NCW aside of course), amalgamations are more the rule than exception at underage level… Adult teams will follow in due course… Football and hurling areas both affected…Teams in traditional heartland hurling areas like Killeedy, Tournafulla and football areas like Glin and Athea are being decimated. It’s a desperate shame

3 Likes

It’s a right shame. Those names are resonant

John Fitzgerald at 10, there was a John Fitzgerald that won a few senior medals with Kilmallock at corner back in the 1970s, finished up hurling with Kilmoyley in north kerry when he moved down there. He was a good one

John Fitz was our neighbour, lived two doors up from us. Was corner back on the three in a row team.

1 Like

1 too many

1 Like

I’d say Donie and Shane were about 36.

1 Like

Gerry had given a Tour de France in the previous round and been awarded the maillot vert…

How good is Shane O’Brien do you think? I think he might be yer best ever.

Certainly a feature. West West Limerick and central north Kerry are fucking bleak places with very little by way of work etc. There’s nothing to keep a young lad in the area really.

Kileedy were favourites or near favs to win the junior A every year there for ages and never made the breakthrough. Had a decent team. The Junior A is a vicious division, standard is very even. Hard to get over the line. You had to negotiate at least three KO matches at the end so a lot of luck involved as well. Had they got up they were probably good enough to stay up. The format a few years back split teams up by region and the West being football heartland was all junior A teams so there was like 12 west teams and maybe 4 east teams. Lot easier to get to the knockouts in the other divisions.

They had a bad year last year and junior A was split in two so they along with half of the teams were basically relegated.

The likes of Doon and the Well show it can be done with a smaller population. But NAP Monaleeen and Mungret are showing weight of numbers is a fairly inevitable tide as well.

Its funny because they would consider themselves way above junior A and now they aren’t even that. But it’s sad as well to see a traditional club in free fall.

4 Likes

You’re right in that had they been in the top 12 last year, you wouldn’t be thinking they’d be one to go down this year.

They definitely could win that Junior A competition though. But I think they’re down another few bodies from last year so it won’t be a cakewalk. Castletown/Ballyagran are down there too and they probably shouldn’t be down there either. Both sides who have probably let themselves down in knockout matches in recent years.

A few things to tidy up. He’d want to be special to be better than Shaughs though.

2 Likes

Ive said it here before but Doon is not a small parish.

Doon itself is a decent sized village which has a hinterland with a huge amount of houses.

It also takes in Oola where the likes of DOD and others come from, stretches down near Toem/Cappawhite and right up to Bilboa.

They have obviously been helped by Brother Dormer and other teachers pushing hurling there in the boys primary school for years but there numbers would be very healthy.

It would be a prime example of a large rural club.

I can never remember CTB being anything other than a junior team, even back to the days when they were two separate clubs.

Yeah but they were one of the favourites to win the whole Junior last year and ended down in the 2nd tier of it.

One of there main men transfered to Charleville so will be under pressure this year.

Who’s that? I don’t remember hearing that.

Darragh Fitz is what they call him