Limerick GAA 2023-2024.... 5 in a row is not here

Well there you go then. If Clare haven’t sold their quota, what do they expecting. Trying to jack up the attendance in order to get some of their own supporters in at this late stage is nothing more than optics at this stage. For all their progress over the last few years, they still didn’t bother their holes going to Dublin for the last 2 semis

1 Like

By god the knives are out. We’re only a day away from banjo playing mud hut references

1 Like

I think they capped it due to mayo a few years back

I thought your season tickets came out of the county boards allocation. That was my understanding of it but I must be wrong.

Yaaahooooooo

15 Likes

IMG_5420

3 Likes

Poor showing by the minor team last night.

Our underage results are closer to Waterfords in recent years. Very evident drop off in quality in what is coming out of the academy.

1 Like

Need to get Daly back, asap

1 Like

With unprecedented success you are always going to attract hangers on.

It’s vital whoever makes these decisions at the very top appoints the right people at under 12s, 14s and 16s etc.

Very hard to turn apples into oranges when they get to 17/18 years old.

1 Like

We need to go back to hit and whip

3 Likes

Is it a coaching problem?
Presumably participating numbers are up and the academy is not short of finance.
I’ve seen fellas listed in the coaching tickets at minor and u20 who never played the game at a high level. No issue with this per se - but we appear to be fallling down somewhere.

Cork now have excellent coaching tickets at all underage levels, including coaches with senior inter county experience such as John Meyler, Seanie McGrath, Gardiner, Sean Og, Donal Og Cusack, Ben O Connor etc.

kinnerk and kiely hardly pulled up trees at senior level.

It’s about the right people.

1 Like

These things always go in cycles… I doubt Limerick are doing anything too differently underage to the others… The academy is blown up by getting one unbelievable crop who now backbone the seniors.

I won’t judge Dowling on one outing, particularly as Cork already had a game under their belt, but sweepers, over doing hand passing and running into dead ends… By all means have a style but sending 15/16 year olds at that craic, especially with the weather last night, screams ego. Go out and get the basics right first and foremost. Let the kinnerking to Kinnerk.

6 Likes

It was more structural changes that changed our fortune - the output of the academy was a couple of exceptional groups

You’d worry if the likes of Finn, Nash, Casey, Morrissey we’re coming through the set up now would they be the same players at senior level

The likes of Clare who were significantly behind us 5/6 years ago have passed us out based on recent results and success.

The main coach over the Clare minors the last three years hardly hurled past 20 due to injuries.

3 Likes

Not really. We had a 45 year cycle until we improved our underage structures.

Those structures are no longer producing competitive teams unfortunately.

There is one obvious difference now for say Fergal o Connor.

He isn’t going to get the game time or chances a young Mike Casey or Sean Finn got because of the quality ahead of him.

Game time is huge at senior level.

1 Like

As I said the unprecedented success is going attract all sorts who want in on the success.

It’s vital you’ve the right people involved particularly at the younger age groups.

@Kyle is right you won’t get the same returns every season but you should remain consistent.

Well that’s shite talk.

We had plenty of great teams and great players in that 45 year period. Getting over the line in an All Ireland takes a lot more than just producing underage.

When you are dealing with relatively small playing bases the quality of your group is always going to vary. You just need to ensure you have the coreect structures in place to maximise the ability of the good ones when they come along.

2 Likes