Limerick GAA 2023-2024.... 5 in a row is not here

Liam Cronin probably has the strongest cv of any coach at minor level this year - has been involved with a lot of relatively successful sides at schools, club and intercounty level.

Agreed.

Itā€™s at the top we got our act together more so not necessarily underage. While they all feed into each other, judging what the county does by winning alone is stupid talk. Disregarding teams because Limerick never won an all Ireland :person_shrugging:t2: we had excellent teams in the 80s, 90sā€¦ A good team in the 10s ā€¦
Winning and losing All Irelandā€™s are fine margins , i wouldnā€™t spit on the efforts of people over tge years because Limerick didnā€™t win the big one.

1 Like

Are the right people involved is the question?

The Clare team that beat us at u20 last week weā€™re stacked with the team that took a 40 point beating off cork at minor level

Their improvement is stark, they also look better conditioned than us, particularly in middle 8.

No one is saying we have a right to be very competitive every year, but the drop off over last few years should sound alarm bells.

Clare won an All Ireland in 2013ā€¦ Youā€™re seeing the bounce from that now from all the lads who were kids in 13.

Limericks boomers will be in full swing from 2028-2038.

3 Likes

Weā€™ve just got to keep things ticking over until then to secure 20 in a row

10 Likes

Tyrone donā€™t appear to have gotten a huge abounce from their successes in 03,05 and 08.

Munster rugby overshadowed the gaa when a lot of the current Limerick team were on the way up.

Itā€™s simply about doing things right. If you arenā€™t doing things right the numbers wonā€™t matter.

1 Like

Thatā€™s an unusual take. Prevailing view is we got underage structures right which fed into the senior team. Obviously wouldnā€™t have happened if Kiely and Kinnerk hadnā€™t been in place the same time.

1 Like

Iā€™d say things are generally being done right. They made an u20 final only two years agoā€¦ You canā€™t have strong groups every year.
The worry is getting too lost in trying to get underage playing like the seniors like last night. You can destroy a group fucking around with an ego over a team.

Iā€™d have my doubts but the proof will be the pudding in a few years.

Iā€™m aware they feed into each otherā€¦ Cork must have won 3 u21/20s in the last decade?

Tipp have had a couple recently.

Waterford beat our bestest academy team ever and won a minor All Ireland. KK beat them in an AIF.

Our board was a shambles for donkeys. We got the structures right from top down, with everyone finally pulling in the one direction. Underage is great, but ,2000-2002 says hello.

1 Like

If youā€™re staying still youre going backwards. Clare have definitely overtaken us at underage level, at schools level we had Ard Scoil, Doon, Castletroy and Charleville going well which fed into minor. Last few years we had a Clare dominated Ard Scoil only in the harty and A levels lower down the ages, the best players there are Clare lads now, good to see a few more Limericks schools make Harty last year.

1 Like

Iā€™m hearing Limerick and Tipp could be moved to Killarney, sounds ridiculous. Anyone hear anything on this?

Looks dry and cold for next week.

I was calling Cork weeks ago.

They looked over ciached into a style of play, being 16 years olds they stuck with that despite the opposition handling it with ease and not adjusting to the conditions. Hard to judge any of those players if you ask me, they should have been instructed to change it up and go direct. I wouldnt expect the players to do that themselves.

U20s well beaten. Outside of SOB, hard to see any senior inter county hurlers in this group.

Same as the minors appears over coached. Hard to judge individuals but way too much emphasis on ā€œthe systemā€ wothout having a plan b, c or d to revert to when its not working. Some very good hurlers in that group which is the frustrating thing.

2 Likes

Fuck sake :joy:

2 Likes

Not much changeover from last years u16s, the same 15 even in the same positions, sounds like they concentrated on the 15 from U15 with no real change in personnel, whereas other counties are moving towards giving a wider range of players gametime in the underage blitzes

Interested to hear peopleā€™s opinions on starting 15 for Ennis next week? Does Finn start? CON at 7?? Who replaced Peter Casey? Definitely few interesting calls to be made in my opinion