Limerick GAA 2023-2024.... 5 in a row is not here

Only saw the last 15 or so tonight and second half of the Clare game. But I thought in both the ball into the full line was shocking. High floaty ball that made the forward stop their run and wait for it and allowed the back to gobble them up.

How did OOF go?

He played well. Always looked a threat, couple of nice points and worked very hard.

If he strengthened up a bit and continued to improve his hurling, he could make it.

1 Like

He went well. Beat his man most of the night… touch left him down a couple of times but he worked very hard. Needs to fill out alright but he’s a tidy player

1 Like

We were competitive, if not great, in all three games so far. As long as we are there or there abouts, I see it as a positive thing. Nice to see Shane O’Brien having a decent game. Himself, Fitzgerald, the two O’Farrells, Cian Scully good enough for seniors with a bit of bulking up.

Interesting. I’m not sure the Cork team will produce more than 2-3 senior hurlers.

Looked a gennerational minor side. The drop off is huge.Not helped by having a bluffer like Ben O’Connor involved.

4 Likes

I guess it depends what people mean by being good enough for senior. Is it make a panel? Is it to play Championship? Or to be a regular starter for 5+ years.

You’d be shocked if a good chunk of those Cork fellas don’t make a senior panel. Actually playing Championship is a different story but you’d think a fair few will.

Drop off?? They’re putting up huge scores and are favourite to win the all Ireland.
All after losing their best player to rugby.

Hard to judge the management in this case. The Minors in the years after were pretty poor so he is basically stuck with this set of Minors minus BOC. In saying that, this experiment with O’Regan has failed completely and I don’t get why Murnane is playing league for Carrigtwohill and apparently not even involved. At this stage it should be O’Brien at 3 and Lyons at 6.

I mean someone who actually has a career at senior inter-county over an extended period. That’ll be Healy, Wilk and maybe Lyons from this U-20 group.

Surely Leahy is in with a shout. Classy operator

Agreed RE 6. I’d be putting Dwyer at 6 personally, with Tobin and Wilk flanking him.

Limerick were a good bit better last night than the first two nights but felt we really helped in that regard.

I know you don’t like Leahy but he was class again last night- when Cork needed him

Nope. Prototypical Cork forward, can’t win his own ball. He is playing in a world of space he won’t get at senior. He also doesn’t have a nose for a goal.

1 Like

Big issue with this team is that a number of player’s form has fallen off a cliff - O’Connell for example - and management seem to have little to nothing on the bench.

I think the bench is very strong for this level. Barry Walsh, Ross O’Sullivan and Timmy Wilk would start for any other team.

Tadhg shoud be midfield, he seems more natural there. I think Cork need an additional puc out option on the HF line. Healy really carrying the load there.

On paper I’d agree the bench is strong but on the other hand the management don’t seem to agree playing O’Leary and others who are way out of form. They are just rotating a lot of the same lads regardless of how well they are playing.

The O’Sullivan in the full-back line is a good player too. Maybe struggled a little physically but that will come with time.

Unfortunately, the way hurling has gone, him and Buckley are no hopers.

If they have the hurling, they’ll make it.

2 Likes

Haven’t read any threads since the match but it’s a very strange feeling. It was a good win but it feels like a loss. An absolutely horrific injury for Peter and you just have to feel for him. You wouldn’t wish that type of injury on your worst enemy; it sucked the life of the ground. A couple of the Tipp players seemed to be almost as distressed as Pete and he was in absolutely agony. An absolute fucking disaster for him and he’s not long back from another bad injury. This one looks even worse; at least with ACLs you know that nowadays there is some sort of recovery, I think it’s the worst I’ve seen in-person.

So yeah, it’s very hard to feel any bit positive about the match as a result.

We were better than last week but Tipp clearly aren’t as good as Clare. I have to say I was shocked with how bad they were in the second half. They are not as bad as that, they have the players to be better than that, their tactics were absolutely pathetic. Just because they had the wind, it became just bate the ball down the field as far as you can. How many balls did they pump on top of Dan Morrissey? That’s absolutely ridiculous stuff. You have a dangerous forward like Jake Morris, who thrives on low ball into space and you have him feeding off scraps on long boomers.

They actually did alright against the wind in the first half; won a few turnovers on our backs and had runners off the shoulder and just worked the ball better. It was like they didn’t even try to do that in the second half. If that was the plan, Cahill & Bevans need to have a long hard look at themselves. If it wasn’t the plan, well, the players clearly aren’t listening to them. Crazy stuff.

They hit a few bad balls into the forwards in the first half too but they at least showed flashes of decent play. I thought our backs were outstanding throughout but they just let Kyle run the show. Hit ball after ball on top of him and then allowed him send perfect deliveries into our forwards, he hit a few lovely diagonals into Gillane & Casey. Thought he was the best player on the pitch comfortably but Finn was classy as fuck, Hannon really composed, Dan an immovable object and Nash way more prominent driving forward.

The midfield duo were excellent too, WOD was back to his best, flying into tackles, making interceptions and popped up with a decent score too. And Lynch is just vital when he’s on form, he just makes everything stick. He received some woeful passes but he still controlled them because he just has that unbelievable first touch.

The 4 across the half-forward line were quiet by their standards, it just was that kind of game. They were involved in fits & starts but none of them really got fully into their rhythm. I probably would have brought Boylan on a little earlier to run at Tipp but they still picked off some nice scores between CON, Tom & Reidy; the pick of them was probably Cathal’s in the first half after receiving a fairly bad pass from Hego.

Subs (bar Boylan who only got a few mins) all made an impact, Adam the obvious start. 4 shots, 4 points. He just has it. The Casey injury will open up a spot in the team (obviously Flanagan didn’t feature today) and English will push hard for it. But then, when you see a player making that kind of impact in two games back-to-back, you don’t exactly want to lose that either. A bit like Cathal last year or Dowling, Casey & Pat Simon in 2018, it’s nice to have the bench options. But he could be hard to keep in reserve.

Shout out for Nickie too. Top top class again when he had to be. Some great decisions on the puckouts aswell.

We move on, a different challenge against Cork again in two weeks time. Get the job done and that should be a place in the Munster Final secured. They do have that frightening raw pace that Tipp don’t really have so it is something to be wary of, they created a lot of goal chances against Clare today. And we’re definitely not as quick as we were in 2018.

25 Likes