Limerick GAA 2023-2024.... 5 in a row is not here

First and foremost congrats to Cork. They did us in the 3rd quarter and deserved their win.

This Limerick team have given us days we thought we’d never see. Tough to take as a defeat always is but a loss had to happen at some stage and the team gave it everything as always. Heroes one and all

Congrats again to Cork and here’s hoping for a great final.

2 Likes

I just don’t understand what happened in the third quarter. At half time we looked good but arguably should have been four up. But we turned around so flat or maybe a bit casual

2 Likes

The breeze played quite a big part. Limerick puckout was poor for a spell and cork made great use of the possession.

Yeah I thought we were in a good position at half time, especialy given how we’ve generally performed in the 2nd half of big games. I give Cork huge credit but for sure we seemed very casual in first few mins of 2nd half. Handy score from the throw in we coughed up and then both Hego and Byrnes were a bit lax leading to scores and early momentum in the half for Cork.

Ultimately the forwards have not fired this year. Today, to me that was the difference. Gillane a little off it, Flanagan poor enough, Hegarty had his worst game of the year. Cork got their scores easier. And that was it.

2 Likes

Be little if any losses around here in fairness.

1 Like

Hego was absolutely brutal and should have been hooked but it was like the old pals act when Reidy was hooked instead. Plus the full back line was smoked.

4 Likes

Today should be the last time Kyle hayes plays on a wing.

He’s too good not to have centrally. Teams will figure out ways to curtail him on the wings.

He was a huge loss at 11 today. The ball just comes out too easy when he’s not there.

6 Likes

I thought it was mad that Limerick didn’t put him up Centre forward and take off Hego when Cork had perfectly taken him out of the game.

6 Likes

We ended up in a weird situation at one stage today where Hayes was 6, Hegarty was 7 and Hannon was 10.

It was panic pure and simple and I was surprised to see it happening.

They took him out of the game in a he 2021 final as well.

I said before the Clare round robin game. He’s a central player.

Barcelona don’t play Leo Messi on the right wing to pin back Ashley Cole.

Yep. The tied turned some bit when Kyle moved in but it was sort of all over the shop as well. Cork could have got goals too. We were just lucky tbh.

Thought it showed how little faith they had in their defensive subs that they stayed looking at Finn for 70 minutes, he looked a shadow of the player he was. Cathal O’Neill moving back would have surely steadied things up compared to Byrnes or Hannon too.

But when you have the credit in the bank these things get rightfully brushed over but the line was poor enough for them today.

4 Likes

The Limerick side has been at it’s best when lynch is 11 and Peter Casey is there to hit his classic one-man scores.

2 Likes

11 or 6. Probably 6. Or maybe Nash at 6. Great to have options.

1 Like

Especially when you knew cork forwards were going to have the legs there needed to be a plan to freshen things up back there but none was forthcoming- strange one

There was a moment in second half when Hayes scored a mighty point from a central position. The problem was from the puck out that the ball went straight to Fitzgibbon out on Hayes’ wing in acres of space and he cancelled out the Hayes point.

5 Likes

Yep that was a killer

Did Finn finish the game? Thought he was torn asunder out there

Keeper had the sliotar in his hand as the other one was crossing the bar

1 Like