Limerick GAA 2023-2024.... 5 in a row is not here

Big dog
Big dog
Big dog!

I’d say the second all Ireland in lock down was a blessing. There wasn’t half the singing and dancing as you’d get with a normal all Ireland.

Gave the players and management a huge chance to keep the heads. A lot of games and competitions were cancelled too so the players remained fresh.

They deserve immense credit for the fact it was pretty much the same starting group for the 4 wins. Very rare in any sport.

That’s an incredibly tough thing to achieve and knowing a few of the Squad a little they are normal enough lads like they seem to have other hobbies and interests. They aren’t the tj reid sort of singular mindset.

I think Limerick this year aren’t too dissimilar to Limerick in 2019. people forget they did stutter despite winning the league. Poor v cork and not great v Tipp in the round robin. Munster much tougher now than 2019 too.

We may have underestimated how hard it was to recover from 2022. There was less games in 2020 and 2021. I think 2022 would have taken a lot out of the squad just like 2018 did in 2019. It’s very hard to keep going.

1 Like

It was good while it lasted. Hopefully Munster Rugby Ball team get good again.

Rate your top 5 days following this current crop from Limerick. And provide a little colour too.

You’ve painted a target on your back there mate

2018 down in cork was unreal. You could tell there was something different about this group from that performance.

3 Likes

Im expecting those days drinking cans by the fire in 2020 to feature prominently.

Seamus Flanagans 5 points from play. Joy to watch.

More I think about that - there is a similarity with CON’s 5 points last Sunday in Mordor.

Drawn game too…

2 Likes
  1. All Ireland 2018 - the additional 9 minutes. If we survived that we will survive anything. Meeting a load of the players from 94 and 96 afterwards a lot with sons - nephews on the team. A sense of satisfaction

2. 2021 Munster final v Tipp in Pairc ui Chaoimh. Unbelieable heat. Looked done and dusted at half time. Those 15 minutes. Christ but that was unreal.

3. 2018 v Kilkenny - the Tom Morrissey game. As he soloed down the wing I turned to the lad next to me and said the ball is with the right guy.

4. 2018 v Cork in round robin - I was against the round robin before that but it was a mighty day and game

5. 2018 League game v Glaway in Salthill - tge day we saw the fruit beginning to ripen.

Mostly from the early days as it was all fresh. All Ireland v Cork and Kilkenny were special because ofvthe history andvthe opposition but we were favourites and playing well. The novelty wearing off naybe.

By the way they are all great days. Any day you can head off with your kids and do the things your ould fella used to do with you . Only thing is my kids expect to win every day. We were fed a diet of one or two decent runs every decade. Last Sunday was one of those great days.

12 Likes

I was expecting the Cork Semi Final in 2018 and the Munster Final in 2019 to feature high but anyway you are right they are all great days even some of the days you lose.

Tipp were especially lucky to be involved in around 10-12 absolute classics between 2009 and 2019.

1. 2018 QF v Kilkenny - the manner of it, coming from behind after doing all the hurling before they goal… Past Limerick teams would have folded. That was the day they arrived. I was shaking out on the field after it.

2. 2018 Final - Obvious enough.

3. 2022 Final. Glorious sun, 3 in a row, a KK that wouldn’t die, train up and down with Esteban. A place in history booked.

4. 2022 Munster Final - Electric from start to finish. Hannons winner denied by Kelly’s magic. An all time classic game.

5. 2018 semi v Cork.

2 Likes

I only included the ones i was at. Abroad for Cork semi.

1 Like

2021 Munster final was an absolute classic. Limerick down by 10 points at half time. Sweltering heat and Tipp imploded. I was on my own in the terrace as tickets were so scarce.

Then this happened :clap:

2 Likes

The “lock them in and force them to watch match”.

2 Likes

I love the Peter Casey depossesion here

4 Likes

Peter Casey turned over a serious ball that day and Kyle ran in unchallenged for a goal.

2 Likes

Its nice to see Limerick supporters reminisce and recount old glorys wistfully.

2 Likes

I cant believe how many i sucked in :grinning:

3 Likes

Kyle has some high light reel.

2018 he got a goal v Galway which was crucial.
2018 both games v cork he got famous scores.
Mom v Galway
2021 he gets the goal v tipp.

1 Like

In no particular order

1. AIQF. KK in KK. Something stirring here. A poor KK maybe, but we’d never beat them. And in KK forget about it

2018 Cork Semi. Winning from a lost cause postion. Wow this team are different.

2022 AIF. Holy fuck three in a row. Against KK. And they pinned us to our collar

2021 AIF. Now ye cunts, back to back, and it had been some hardship getting everyone sorted for tickets for that.

2018 AIF. Relief, thought I’d be elated. But it was just relief, I genuinely thought I’d never see Limerick win one, and then we had. I wasn’t jumping around like a lunatic, I had my head in my hands. Especially after the bastards tried to lose the lead. I thought of Grandfather, who had instilled a passion for Limerick hurling in all his kids and passed it to me, I remembered him crying in 96 and saying he’d never see them win one another one now. He was right. I was only a young buck then. They’d been in the AIF in 94, there again in 96, I was thinking they’d win one soon. But he knew the chance was gone for that crew.

We saw some bad bad bad days. Always more bad than good. If we go down on Sunday, I’ll be disapointed but I know I’ve been privaliged to see what I have. You always want one more of course.

12 Likes