Limerick GAA 2023 - League champions means nothing now 🐐

Anyone have a sub to copy and paste this…

1 Like

Just giving Sean O’Donoghue a break

The Chinese concept of Wu Wei – which he describes as “the less you depend on something, the more chance there is of it actually happening” – is one that always struck a chord with Cairbre Ó Cairealláin.

The Belfast native was just back from a successful stint as head of strength and conditioning of the Arsenal women’s soccer team with an FA Cup (2016) under his belt when he had a sense that a call was coming.

He hadn’t sought it out having moved home in 2018 and enjoyed his summer break but with things stirring in Tipperary, he “just had a feeling that, ‘I’m going to get a call off Liam Sheedy one of these days’”.

Hurling has always been the first love of the former Antrim minor/U-21 player, but that call from Sheedy didn’t arrive until the 11th hour when the opportunity to get involved with the oval ball was also on the table.

Ó Cairealláin met Sheedy, who pulled out a dossier of information about his Premier vision, for the first time in Nenagh’s Abbey Court Hotel and he was “convinced that Tipp were going to win an All-Ireland that day”.

His decision was made and dreams became reality the following August with Ó Cairealláin at the helm of their S&C needs for three years having thrown himself head first into his job by relocating to The Ragg.

​He loved his time with Tipp and that was clearly reciprocated as Brendan Maher went atop his roof to help fend off an influx of birds into his cottage while the late Dillon Quirke stuck up his chin-up bar.

There was a green wave hanging over Ó Cairealláin while with Tipp, though, and “Limerick had the number on us” with the UL graduate intrigued by “what they are doing there”, such was their physicality.

He certainly wasn’t alien to the Treaty having worked in the academy before heading for the Gunners, as well as working under Anthony Daly with the minors. His name was always the favourite when a vacancy arose.

Joe O’Connor had overseen the S&C for Limerick’s breakthrough All-Ireland success in 2018 before passing the baton onto Mikey Kiely with the latter departing for Ulster rugby at the end of the 2021 season.

John Kiely didn’t have to look any further than Ó Cairealláin but he had big shoes to fill with a much different challenge around the corner as Limerick were top of the tree.

“Things were going well and it wasn’t my place to come in and say, ‘Right, we’re doing this my way or the highway’. Things were working well already and it’s about challenging players and keeping things fresh.”

The 35-year-old has total belief in his methods but even he had plenty of doubts during a stuttering league campaign yielding just one victory.

“I’ve full confidence in the programme and that it’s all good but another part of you is thinking, ‘What’s going on here? I’m not getting going’,” Ó Cairealláin admits.

“It’s not like we planned to be brutal for a few months and then be flying it for a few months, but you have different challenges throughout the season and it’s just about figuring them out.”

He remembers heading to Thurles for the league final and thinking, “Waterford are flying it, they must be the top team in the country.” But Limerick are champions for a reason.

Ó Cairealláin got another sense on the eve of championship that there was “almost a sub-conscious thing in the squad” where they knew what was now required when it really mattered most.

There may have been a lot of nervy moments along the way as their crown was perched precariously at various stages, but the All-Ireland SHC three-in-a-row was secured in another unbeaten championship season.

There’s great satisfaction in seeing players like Gearóid Hegarty and Kyle Hayes hit a peak on the biggest occasion but he is quick to point out that each player has different requirements.

“Everything is a balance in terms of the physical preparation. Sometimes it’s pushing someone or a team to the absolute edge and digging in to find that and then sometimes it’s the opposite. Sometimes, it’s doing a bit less,” Ó Cairealláin says.

Freshness is paramount and while numbers and metrics are central in his line of work, certain aspects of achieving high performance cannot be read on Google Scholar.

“Papers and books can be very black and white when you’re going off numbers but you’re definitely missing something in that. It’s that personal touch and you can see it in the top managers or coaches,” he says.

“They know where someone is at by looking at them or chatting to them. There’s a big chunk of it that isn’t in the textbooks. The emotional development of a player feeds into their performance.”

Kiely, who trusts coach Paul Kinnerk and Ó Cairealláin “to plan and execute the sessions”, is a master in knowing what’s needed and he allows different personalities to flourish.

“Training can be brutally tough and there’s no hiding in the training that Paul demands from the players, but every single session they’re out 10 minutes beforehand doing crossbar challenges like kids.

“They enjoy it, they have not lost that and training is not a chore, you can see that in how they play. When I’m taking them off on a Friday before a game, one of the main things that John will always say is, ‘Just get them laughing here for the next few minutes, just bring a bit of craic into this’.

“I’d be getting ideas from PE games, games that should only be for kids. But for five minutes they turn into kids and they’re laughing their heads off, it works every time. Life gets very serious and play doesn’t come into it as much and it has to be in there or you lose sight of what’s important.”

Being adaptable is “massive” as the best-laid plans can be quickly ripped up if a group is not at their optimum and Kinnerk has no problem saying, “No, we’ve had enough” if things are unusually lacklustre.

Ó Cairealláin takes no credit for the Hulk-like physiques of Seán Finn, Mike Casey and Co shown after their Munster final win, but he does hail the squad’s competitive streak.

“A lot of this is self-driven. I just put it on a plate for them, guide them a bit and then they take ownership of it. I don’t need to be telling lads to go hard, I’ve never felt the need to do that,” the St Paul’s clubman says.

“That competitiveness is embedded in Limerick. I’m usually trying to take the edge off.”

Bringing energy to the table every night is mandatory for Ó Cairealláin as it helps to set the tone, but being a central cog in the Limerick machine is not something which he envisaged.

You wouldn’t think he is by looking at him either. There aren’t too many involved in the GAA, Cian Lynch aside, that don an earring let alone the nose ring which Ó Cairealláin does but he is comfortable in his skin.

It runs in the family, as does fluent Irish speaking. His older brother Ainle owns an alternative gym in Cork city (ACLAÍ) while also spending plenty of time in Palestine, where he has set up a gym for refugees in Bethlehem.

Younger sibling Naoise is an award-winning rapper turned playwright best known for his exploits as Moglaí Bap in the band Kneecap and Ó Cairealláin also has some unorthodox music tastes.

Music production and electronic DJing – he owns “tonnes of instruments” like guitars, synthesisers and drums – allow him to switch off from the GAA world at the drop of a beat.

Solo backpacking trips to places like Peru and the Amazon jungle have helped to influence his views on the world, but the button is firmly switched on again now having returned from their team holiday.

Cork await tomorrow in their Munster HL opener and Ó Cairealláin will enjoy “the perfect gig” as if it is his last, because it could be as a career that has brought successes in Wembley and Croke Park could end soon.

“I don’t know if I’ll coach a team ever again, I don’t know if it’s something that I want to do when I grow up,” he says with a smile.

“I love it but I don’t depend on it. It’s not my identity. I might just do something totally different and start from scratch. This could be my last year of coaching so I’m going to enjoy it.”

Bringing the Liam MacCarthy Cup down the Falls Road before Christmas was a “mad experience” and, much like Frank Sinatra, he will continue to do things his way.

1 Like

Heard he could be back sooner than anticipated.

Ray Dempsey’s army steal a draw and punch their ticket to the McGrath Cup Final 2023.

4 Likes

Anywhere to stream or listen to Cork-Limerick Dairygold Cup game today?

Munster Gaa website has it for a 10 spot

2 Likes

Robbers ,can’t find it on GAA go etc
Not even on the shagging radio live

Any idea how it’s going? I’m in an odd place.

1 Like

all level coming up to half time

1 Like

Score?

1 Like

10 Cork 1-7 Lk

1 Like

Gent.

1 Like

It’s on Munster GAA sute

1 Like

Munster GAA site

1 Like

Na ffs,I’m stuck watching ckare v Cork football
4 points - 8

Tried that on you tube,thanks

Cork in any decent system/state?

Need to feed better quality ball into Shane O’Brien. If he gets it in the paw at all he scores. Joyce is sweeping well in front of him as the extra man.

1 Like

to be honest it’s hard to tell boy. there’s no real intensity to it… they seem to be playing a sweeper and lehane is doing wreck in a free role

1 Like