Limerick GAA 2023 - League champions means nothing now 🐐

Christ he was some bit of stuff

Until Gillane, Lynch and Byrnes do it on the really big stage, there will always be question marks against their names.

1 Like

It was nearly as bad as Jamie Barron’s assault on Hego last year

There were plenty of Waterford lads throwing themselves on the ground last night… The free for the goal was a nice bit of head down barging also. Hego was assaulted all night long and nothing was done .

In short, go shit in your hat.

3 Likes

I’d like a freeze frame of that incident with Hegarty in the first few mins. It looked to me that he went into the tackle with his arms mainly by his side, but the Waterford player went low and made it look way worse than what it was.

The fact the ref didnt book him would indicate he saw it that way too.

That was a good match, there was a serious intensity to it, it felt like Championship. Impressed with Limerick, but obviously plenty to still improve on. Waterford brought a challenge and came at us a couple of different teams, but I’d say they were slightly disappointed with their finish to the first half. With the wind behind them, they had started really well but got a bit one-dimensional in the last 15 minutes of the first half and allowed us take control.

From a Limerick pov, there are a few concerns:

Lynch injury obviously. Depending on the severity, you could be looking at a couple of months. Even at an absolute minimum, it’s very hard to see him being back for Tipp or Clare. Now, I think we can just about get by without him, Cathal is as talented a young player as is around but he’s quite a different player to Lynch and Lynch is certainly a loss. Every report & comment about the game seems to mention that Limerick won without Lynch, Kyle, Casey & Flanagan which is obviously true but we still would like to have them back. Hopefully we’ll have 2 of them in contention the next day.

The two goals. Shouldn’t be conceding a goal from a 20-metre free. They’ll be furious about that. Second one was more of an issue because we had mostly defended well but nobody tracked Lyons’ run through the middle. He’s a very hard man to stop but someone has to go with him. Once the pass was successfully completed (an excellent pass to be fair), it was always likely to be a goal. Definitely things to work on there; our response was superb, however, I think we won every single puckout for the rest of the game and didn’t give Waterford enough possession to claw it back. Probably should have killed it off properly, but hit a few wides.

No goals ourselves. Only one clearcut chance which Mulcahy probably should have batted first-time. I’d have a little bit of sympathy for him after he fell over because O’Brien was obviously holding him down so he couldn’t get back to his feet but you’re never getting a penalty for that. Other than that, we didn’t really want to put the head down and create the opportunity- Cathal had one in the first half that he should have slipped through to Graeme; Tom was well-hooked on a ground shot; Reidy took a point when maybe he could have broken the tackle and gone for goal but none of them came to be clear goalscoring opportunities.

Definitely things to work on. Waterford were able to put some great ball in front of Dessie too, and he did damage. Thought we coped well with the threat of the other Waterford forwards tbh. Lyons’ running from deep did cause one or two issues aswell. Iarlaith Daly was doing alright on Gillane early on but he destroyed all comers after that.

Darragh O’Donovan was immense once again, what a hurler. Hego’s first touch is off the charts. Hannon extremely dominant aswell.

13 Likes

Was there?

Yeah at the final whistle when they realised they had blown the biggest chance they had to bate em.

He was a great player, very classy, not in the level of the other 4 though,

1 Like

He did go low, the player pulled on his Hurley making it look bad

The ref that all the Limerick posters have been saying didn’t know his arse from his elbow?

I’d love to here kevs thoughts on our hamstring injuries. Hardly coincidence.

Be worth doing a search here and seeing some posters views on hamstring injuries across other sports

2 in 2 weeks. The S&C coach will be getting the curley finger to explain

It was bizarre they left him sitting in the stand after it happened

He was a poor referee, mate. For both sides.

One other thing I’ll say is that Waterford missed some handy enough frees. Byrnes missed none, and I don’t think Gillane did either.

Both Bennett & Gleeson had misses. While teams will always hit a few wides they should get, missing 65s is pretty poor.

1 Like

I thought that was very strange… The ice machine must be broken. JP will have to get the cheque book out

3 Likes

Was Hegarty’s high tackle in the first few minutes not a blatant sending off?
Didn’t even get a yellow.

I can’t find a replay of it unfortunately.

1 Like

No the forum has determined that D Lyons went very low and nearly pulled Hegos arm out of its socket.

13 Likes