Limerick GAA 2023 - League champions means nothing now šŸ

POā€™D will be called up by Kiely I reckon.

At the very least he deserves to be training with panel.

Heā€™s been far better than the two senior panellists in first two games.

He is like Peter Casey with a better paw, lovely feet and he has the raw materials.

Have they changed the rule regarding u20s playing senior this year?

Yes. Canā€™t play both within seven days.

1 Like

Canā€™t play both grades within seven days.

1 Like

Limerick 1-19 Clare 1-19

A much cagier affair than last nightā€™s game, maybe the shower before throw-in didnā€™t help but it just seemed much nervier, maybe more of a tactical contest.

Limerick started slowly and Clare went into an early lead, and we had to dig in and really battle to draw level. Was a low-scoring opening half but just before the half ended, English went in full-forward, Clare hadnā€™t time to react to switch markers or anything. English drifted in behind Rynne, caught the ball over him and buried it past the keeper. A minute later, he got the ball in the right corner-forward position and swung over a lovely point. He had been quiet enough up until that out around the middle, and Rynne had been giving him plenty of it.

Limerick were working hard but were largely being outmuscled by a bigger, stronger Clare side. Paddy Oā€™Donovan was leading the charge, breaking puckouts to himself and catching one or two balls, despite giving way in height and Fintan Fitzgerald was also doing well to get on breaking ball. Adam Hogan had a good handle on SOB when the ball went inside, although we didnā€™t deliver enough good ball. Hurley got a couple of points from distance too in the first half.

Went in a goal up but Crotty took the game to Limerick in the second half and although Josh Oā€™Reilly made a good save from him, he buried a second chance a few minutes later. Clare went a couple of points in front but Paddy Oā€™Donovan almost single-handedly dragged Limerick back in front, he was absolutely superb. Catching balls over men a good few inches taller, killing defenders with his sidesteps and swinging points over off both left & right. Think he finished with 0-5 from play, a classy performance from the Effin man.

Went three up and looked like we would hold on but Clare scored three late on to level, Rynne getting 2 of them including the controversial one at the end when he definitely did push Hurley. But Hurley needs to be stronger and it was still a good score. Crotty & Rynne really impressed for Clare, Hogan had a very good handle on SOB but, in general, they seemed to have a load of pace in the middle third and were way more athletic. Bar a few Limerick lads, we seemed to be a lot lighter.

And that pace caused our backs serious problems. Scully was in bother at centre-back, they came pouring through the middle a couple of times. I can see why they want Hurley at LHB, allowing him to get forward and he did score two but heā€™s got much better recovery pace & striking than Scully, who is too left-sided imo. Davy also looked nervy and didnā€™t get on enough ball. And, again, bar Evan Oā€™Leary, our full-back line werenā€™t overly comfortable. John Fitz got taken off because he was in bother but, generally, our backs were going to ground too much.

Joe Fitz was busy in midfield, Barry Duff came on at half-time and didnā€™t really make an impact. I thought taking Adam Fitz off was odd, thought he had done well in attack. Liam Lynch was brought in for Con Hayes before half-time and did cause problems with his directness although missed a goal and a point, and didnā€™t actually get on the scoresheet. I reckon heā€™ll start the next day. Need to get more out of SOB, and probably need to decide where best to place English. Really good at midfield the last day, looked better inside today.

Our puckouts were an issue, favoured the Clare backs but also werenā€™t getting to the breaks quick enough. Midfield was a bit of an issue and itā€™s something that weā€™ll need to sort for the next day.

Still think weā€™ll have to grow into this Championship, these players have a lot more in them, we just need to find the right balance for the side. Couple of question marks over key positions still. So, given that, 3 points from 4 isnā€™t bad. Away to Tipp next, will be a tough outing. Beat them in the 2020 Munster Minor Final after extra-time, English was unbelievable that day.

10 Likes

Championship only.

First full night back training last night, hurling league back this weekend.

Itā€™ll be good to dust off the cobwebs.

2 Likes

And weā€™re back.

Is the league taken seriously in Limerick?

No is the short answer.

1 Like

Certain teams will take it more seriously than others.

Generally, Championship is the be all and end all. Some teams will target league performance to breed confidence, have a crack off teams at a higher grade etc, and some teams will completely phone it in.

Only the small clubs

2 Likes

Fair enough, is there promotion and relegation?

Iā€™m honestly not sure :joy:

We used to have a pretty good league system, on an all-county basis which had divisions of 8 down all the way and there was promotion & relegation. I remember for years we were stuck down in Division 4 and it was seen as a bit of an achievement for us to get promoted out of that grade.

But a couple of years ago, they went divisional. So we went from being a Division 3/4 side in the league (because stripped of 6/7 county players thatā€™s what we were) to playing Na Piarsaigh, Patrickswell, Ballybrown who were winning Division 1 previously.

So thereā€™s a Senior league, an Intermediate league and a Junior league in each of the divisions with county semi-finals & final. So certain teams have definitely targeted winning a trophy but I donā€™t think thereā€™s definite relegation. For example, the top City team in the intermediate league would be a junior team and you couldnā€™t make them play Na Piarsaighā€™s first team.

1 Like

Fair enough, I know of lads out in Cappamore on about the East league and finding it bizarre given ye got rid of serious divisional championships years ago.

We have a good system here in Tipp now with divisions of 12 (2 groups of 6).

I think they are bringing in relegation & promotion this year which would be a good caret for the teams in division 2 and 3.

There would be a lot more bite to proceedings in the east

1 Like

There used to be a lot of walkovers in the county league, so I think the divisional thing is to do with that. The problem was more midweek games really and fellas away, but it seems to be all weekends now, for the moment at least

1 Like

Big teams like The Well giving walkovers in the league but buzzing with 30+ players come championship.

Kyle Hayes is the greatest Limerick hurler of all time donā€™t @ me

1 Like