Limerick GAA 2023 - League champions means nothing now šŸ

Ok, I think thatā€™s a bit silly now. I expect Oā€™Neill to be very very good but he has done nothing yet to suggest he is approaching Kelly.

2 Likes

Tony Kelly had won hurler and young hurler of the year by the age of 19. Cathal o Neill is still a sub and must be 20/21.

Tony Kelly in full flow is pure joy to watch. He has a grand way to him.

1 Like

Ceiling is how good a player could possibly be. Hence why Canningā€™s ceiling was the greatest ever as he was making clean shit of adults when he was still in primary school.

Kellyā€™s ceiling never as high but got every bit out of his potential. TJ Reid another.

Gleeson an example of it not turning out as expected. A very high ceiling, higher than Reid and Kelly among others but hasnā€™t worked on his game, all facets, like the others have and unless something drastic happens very soon heā€™ll always be seen in a lesser light.

O Neill has everything in the pocket to become an all time great. Thereā€™s nothing any player has that he doesnā€™t from an ability and physical point of view. As I said, big ask to reach that level as so few ever do deliver on the promise but it is all there for him.

1 Like

What age was TJ Reid before he broke through in KK?

I suppose the difference there is Kelly broke through to a shit Clare team (Iā€™m going to say that they hadnā€™t won a single Championship match in the three years before Kellyā€™s debut) whereas CON is trying to break in to literally Limerickā€™s greatest ever team who havenā€™t lost a Championship match in 3 years.

As to the ceiling question, I donā€™t know how you really judge that, no arguing that Kelly has recovered from the meandering years post-2013 to consistently be one of the best forwards in the game.

1 Like

25 by the time he was an undisputed starter.

Started in 2010 alright but there were obviously lots of injuries and was a sub again in 2011.

CON is well ahead of him so.

I see what youā€™re saying but itā€™s very speculative re Oā€™Neill yet, Kelly was hoty at 19 and has performed to a very high level. I donā€™t think any of Oā€™Neillā€™s performances to date threaten that level, though itā€™s possible he may have it in him.

1 Like

Iā€™ve said it loads of times about TJ and Callanan, they were in their late 20s before they became the all time great players they developed into.

But it is a much better comparison. The thing that will halt CONā€™s development is Hegarty, Lynch & Morrissey; the same way Henry, Larkin, Power, etc stopped Reid cementing his place as a young fella.

Kelly has done it all tbf to him, like Joe in Galway, he is the talisman of his team and I donā€™t know if CON will ever have that status (hopefully not, as it generally means your other players arenā€™t up to much).

Absolutely ridiculousā€¦

1 Like

Iā€™d say 25/26

Sure he doesnā€™t need to?

There was no lynch or Peter Casey and he was still a sub last year.

He looks a good young player but heā€™d a big chance v tipp and didnā€™t really take it at all.

Heā€™s invariably coming into a game where Limerick are winning and the opposition are mentally and physically destroyed.

Heā€™s a long way to go.

Heard hegarty is really struggling at the moment so I suspect he wonā€™t start the league final or else heā€™ll get a start and have to have a stormer but there should be an opportunity for somebody in that position.

Presume Murphy will replace WOD.

Thatā€™s just an outrageous thing to say.

At Oā€™Neillā€™s age, Kelly was already hurler of the year.

CON will be a monster. Book mark it

A Manister

1 Like

Possibly. But ten years ago weā€™d be talking about him as the second coming. Now heā€™s just another young fella on the panel looking to find his place.

1 Like

The best hurler to root a ball out of a scrum of players.