Limerick GAA - All-Ireland senior hurling champions 2018

Just watched it back

SeƔn Finn was outstanding
Hickey had a great second half bar the goal, was terrible first half.
Thought Darragh Oā€™Donovan put in a good shift.
Kyle Hayes did some amount of unseen work, closed down Paudie Mahers clearances 4 or 5 times, really curbed his influence and directly set up a few scores.

Gillane was brilliant. As was Mulcahy. Flanagan worked hard and chipped in with a nice score but was quiet enough outside of that.

1 Like

Morrissey got caught ball-watching for that one. Had a fine game overall though. Probably the half-back lineā€™s best game of the year.

2 Likes

He hit Maher a lash in the back after scoring the point also :joy::joy::joy:. He is a hardy fcuker.

1 Like

Obviously heā€™s quite young, but he would have been seen as the star player. Still U-16 too.

Seamus hickey doubtful for the cork game due to hamstring injury.

Divine intervention.

Heā€™s was a nightmare Jason Forde is not a pacey forward and ran him in circles,Cork and Clares forwards would crucify him.

I didnā€™t see it like that at all. He normally stood forde up and then made an unnessacary foul. More stupid than forde turning him inside out. He made a vital flick on 53 minutes to stop a tipp goal when it was a draw.

I think hickey has been hard done by here. He just is not a full back. The one time he played there before it was the same result. At the worst he wouldnā€™t be far off the standard of our other 5 backs in their positions and heā€™d arguably improve on some of them. He started the season as the man in possession of a jersey at half back where he was very good last year, his confidence must have taken a knock after this. I think management sent him out on a fools errand. The league showed full back is not his position and he got cleaned by Forde a few weeks ago and still they sent him out there again. He is still a brilliant player but clearly not comfortable in the position.

Management seem to have set their faces against McCarthy. Iā€™d speculate a big emphasis is being placed on fitness and possibly thatā€™s why we havenā€™t seen McCarthy and Dowling and possibly wonā€™t, seemed like a statement of intent that neither came on last week. McCarthy would still be my first choice full back, whatever he may lack in pace compared to hickey or Casey or english he makes up for in commanding every other aspect of the position.

(Hickey will now probably go on to resume at full back and win an all star and Kiely will be vindicated as he has been with the placement of hannon and Hegarty)

Agreed. He was very rash in the first half, but he was much better in the second and arguably better on the ball than Casey was when he came in. Got caught for the second goal but to be fair he was on Fordeā€™s shoulder all through and was just beaten by a man in top form.

Hickey is the most senior player on the team he canā€™t be making those continued mistakes that you will get away with in 1b,ive great time for him but someone will redden him if it goes on.The opportunity is there now for Kiely to bench him and use him as a sub wing back.

Thatā€™s what has to be done now. As I said above I think itā€™s unfair on him.

If I told you 3 months ago tipp would score 2-5 from play in 78 minutes of hurling and wanted the fullback dropped youd have said I was a mad man. Letā€™s see how forde gets on next week. That was probably fordes Worst game of the year so far. Hickey might not play against another forward as good as him this year.

The likes of Harnedy, Conlan, Duggan & Devine who like high ball are also likely to trouble him.
Not to mention a Walter Walsh or an assortment of big Galway forwards.

3 Likes

He done well on the high ball. It was three really silly frees out the field that cost him.

Heā€™s good in the air, itā€™s fellas making runs and dragging him all over the place that he really struggles with.

But even at that the fouls were needless. He almost panicked. Particularly one on the sideline fordes first frees possibly.

Ah yeah, they weā€™re totally ridiculous. I donā€™t think he was cleaned, it was just bad decision after bad decision.

Thatā€™s why Iā€™d drop him though.

Whatā€™s the story with this Billy Lee chap? Sounds like he was totally to blame himself. Completely unaware of the clear requirement to submit squad by specified date and going on about how he would have changed the training arrangements from Wednesday to Tuesday if he had known. Then submitting what he thought was only a team for the programme after convening an urgent conference call with his selectors before realising he was tied to it, and emailing back the county secretary in the middle of the night to change it. And then blaming the county secretary for not checking emails before working hours the next morning.

This is my understanding of it.

The programme and the offical panel deadline are two separate deadlines. He was under the impression they were the same deadline which is 9am Thursday, so they would have finalised everything at training Wednesday night.

As it transpired the programme deadline was Wednesday and the official panel for Croke Park deadline was the standard 9am Thursday. So they hurriedly prepared a panel for the programme on Wednesday afternoon. They then waited until after training Wednesday night to finalise the official panel and forwarded that to the secretary. The secretary didnā€™t check his emails and the submitted the first list as the official team list.