Limerick GAA - Box Office

Sorry mate, I’m very busy lately so I’m not up to speed. Nicky to centre back i presume??

Minors out on Wednesday evening against Clare in Cusack Park.

Clare bate Waterford by more than we did but it’s hard to use it as a barometer really as Waterford were so poor.

I’d be in favour of moving Nicholas out of full-back, I don’t think he seems comfortable there at all but having persisted this long, I imagine they’ll continue. Sheehan for Garryspillane has being going well for the club and I thought O’Riordan was one of our weaker players the last day. Maybe somebody into midfield too. Hope they get through, two more games would do them good.

The first round qualifier we all wanted…its a pity that its on up in Nowlan park though rather than the Gaelic Grounds.

Kiely and the management team now need to go away and make 3 or 4 big calls.

If we’ve our strongest 15 out…and the subs are brought on at the right time to make an impact who knows…This isnt a vintage KK team.

Play the 21 team

I just watched the 21s game. God some people are easily impressed on here. Kids hurling at its best. Still no top class forward in the horizon. Nash has a lot of qualities but seems to hurl in fits and starts. Hayes was made a hero out of due to really dumb tipp tactics. Bizarre lads want him moved into the backs for the seniors based on it. Malachy done ok but again tipp were god awful. I assume the vast majority of them had the j1 booked.

2 Likes

No backs

The whole squad need to meet up sit down and start communicating to eachother eyeball to eyeball a plan to dismantle the cats.

+1. The over the top praise for Kyle Hayes who sat unmarked in front of the full back and drove a series of clearances over the sideline under no pressure was surreal.

Everyone acknowledged how shit Tipp were, and it wasn’t a sparkling display by Limerick even with that.

1. Kyle is a back. As I’ve said before, I can see why he plays in the forwards but he’s a natural back. Limerick fans always go shiting on about forwards who can win their own ball. And it is something that is hugely important, it’s a lot easier to win your own ball if the backs at least attempt to help you. Richie was very bad the last day in that regard, Hickey aswell, Byrnes is always bateing the ball twenty metres over forwards heads. Kyle doesn’t make all those clearances but at least he attempts to look for a run.

2. No one said that Nash, or anyone else, is a top class forward. What he is is someone who runs at defenders and wants to score goals. This is what we need to do against Kilkenny.

3. Malachy was decent, but faded in the second half. I still think he should start, regardless of the U-21 performance. It would be his 21s performances 2 years ago more than anything that people would be looking at. Or his consistently standout performances for the club. Or just the fact that he is a very good player; someone who is good in the air and will scrap for everything. And again, will run at players if he’s in the forwards.

You won’t see any of these players giving up and letting players waltz past them. They all have pace, skill and probably most importantly in this case, the right attitude.

3 Likes

Why did Nash not start for the clare game

Hayes will be a half forward his entire career. No competent senior inter county team will whack ball down on top of him. His best attribute is his ability to run past players; bursting through tackles and having the present of mind to lay the ball of. A lot of these players haven’t developed on from minor at all which is a massive worry. Colin Ryan needs to get fit and hit the gym big time which has been the case for four years now.

You’d wonder what the likes of o Mahony, hickey and Paul Browne think every time we win a meaningless underage game and hear how they should be replaced by a new batch of superstars.

1 Like

How many people have suggested all the 21s should be thrown in on Saturday based on last Wednesday?

Very few of the so called superstar U21s will go on to be as consistently good for Limerick as Browne and O’Mahony have been. Thats the reality.

3 Likes

Exactly my point. People talking about this great attitude - it was appalling last year when tipp shoved it up to them.

Agreed.

Pure suicide by anyone who suggests starting the U21 team on Saturday. A good trimming would tempt a lot of them to fuck off for good

Bursting through tackles is a big strength of his but I would say what he is best at is reading where the ball is going to go and stopping both man and ball. Cody always said he picks half-backs first and foremost on their ability to stop the ball going past them. Kyle reads the game well, is usually in the right position to either get the ball himself or to be in a position to make a tackle. As well as that, when on the ball, he looks to pick out forwards making a run which is a bonus.

As for Malachy, I heard he’s going to the gym now and is a lot fitter than he was this time 12 months ago. Which may not have been hard but he’s heen training all this time.

Most of the people are being facetious, I would imagine. If people are saying it seriously around the place or on places like Hoganstand, then they are likely clueless.

As for what the likes of Gavin, Hickey and Browne think about all this. No one that knows anything about hurling wants Browne dropped. Hickey’s done well this year so far, but his performances over the past two seasons were poor. And Gavin… I like him, and he does use the ball better than most of our players but even he was resorting to bad habits over the past couple of years and if he’s delivering shit ball, he doesn’t have the athleticism of someone like Byrnes. I haven’t seen Gavin play much this year and I have no doubt he’d do a job if called upon but the management obviously felt Dan was going better than him in training.

I was a big advocate of keeping the likes of them, Condon, Richie Mc, Jim-Bob, Mulcahy and integrating them with younger players but for whatever reason; whether they are unhappy about all the new players in the panel, whether it’s simply confidence after a couple of bad years or just age catching up with them; some of them haven’t performed. I feel really sorry for Mulcahy who isn’t old at all; he’s been fucked over and even when he was playing well earlier in the season, he doesn’t seem to have confidence. Jim-Bob was unusually quiet against Clare and must be under pressure from the Doon boys or Lynch moving back. And Richie Mac was just poor, I don’t know what he was thinking for some of the things he did. I’d still like to see Condon involved, Quaid is still a safe keeper even if he was unusually poor against Clare.

The Limerick team to play Clare in the Munster minor hurling championship semi-final is Cusack Park Ennis on Wednesday evening at 7.30pm is:

1. Daithi Heffernan (Mallow)
  2. Conor Flahive (Mungret/St. Pauls)
  3. Conor Nicholas (Monaleen) (Captain)
  4. Ciaran Barry (Ahane)
  5. Mikey O Brien (Doon)
  6. Jerome Boylan (Na Piarsaigh)
  7. Kevin Bonar (Bruff)
  8. Dan Minehan (Ahane)
  9. Michael O Grady (Knockainey)
  10. Paul O Riordan (Bruff)
  11. Paul O Brien (Mungret/St. Pauls)
  12. David Woulfe (Kilmallock)
  13. Dylan O Shea (Garryspillane)
  14. Ronan Connolly (Adare)
  15. Gearoid Barry (Kilmallock)

Substitutes:
16. Brian Curtin (Adare)
17. Padraig Maher (Patrickswell)
18. Damien Burke (Dromcollogher/Broadford)
19. Ken Byrnes (Old Christians)
20. Josh Considine (Patrickswell)
21. Rory Duff (Mungret/St Pauls)
22. David Moloney (Monaleen)
23. Brian O Grady (Kilteely/Dromkeen)
24. Ryan Tobin (Garryspillane)

Rory Duff replaced by Kevin Bonar, Minihan moves into midfield.

Gearoid Barry replaces Ryan Tobin, who has been playing out around the middle third. I had heard Sheehan was going well, surprised he’s not even in the 24.

Hope they do it.