Limerick GAA. Don't be sad. Another 45 won't be so bad. Limited heartbreak

That full back line is already experimental though, you donā€™t want too many changes at once.

1 Like

it is in my bollocks. Finn is full back out of necessity and we already know what Richie and Condon bring.

Iā€™d prefer to be experimenting in January than having to throw a fella in green in May, if there are injuries.

Iā€™d disagree here. Experimenting is a delicate balance. No points in throwing in too many lads at once. Given boylan his chance beside hego and Malachy beside dod and lynch. It normally takes 4 or 5 games for lads to find the I feel. Finn could turn out to be a better fullback. Given him a chance there besides two experienced corner backs. Itā€™s a new position for him.

I think we need to get more cover for the backs than the forwards.

If we donā€™t get cover for the full back line by May we could be in a shitty enough situation. Casey is very injury prone. We could be in a situation where we have Condon, Finn, English and a couple of lads who have no game time at all under their belt facing into a cunt of Munster Championship

Iā€™d prefer to have Finn ready as cover for full back and insert a newbie in the corner rather than the other way aroundā€¦

1 Like

Fullback is key. Richie and Casey out injured so their trying our third choice fullback. Iā€™d put the two best corners back beside him v tipp. If he holds Callanan I suspect heā€™ll stay there. Then have a look at other corner backs.

ā€¦

1 Like

Kiely has always been a lot more reluctant to experiment in the backs. Itā€™s a delicate balance, because if you do throw a couple of new fellas in, thereā€™s a chance you lose that cohesion.

Like, in 2017, Hickey, Hannon & Morrissey played practically every game and Byrnes, Hannon, Morrissey last year. I presume WOD is now our first replacement in the half-back line and Condon is the preferred sub in the full-back line when Casey is back. Still a little surprised WOM isnā€™t on the bench but Costello is a sticky man marker.

Lads itā€™s only the second game of the league and weā€™ll have seen: condon at corner back twice, Finn at full back twice, Ryan at midfield twice, Dempsey start at half forward, boylan start at half forward, Casey start corner forward and Downes get his first game for Limerick in two years starting at full forward.

Iā€™m pretty impressed with the use of the squad already.

2 Likes

In kielys first year he put out a makeshift team v cork and we were destroyed. A lot of those lads were dropped from the panel afterwards.

Iā€™m not talking about mass changes.

One of Costello or Oā€™Meara in the full back line would be plenty. Try them both over different days. We know what Condon and English are about.

Fair enough trying to protect Finn at full back. But a part of full back play is also reacting to when one of your corners is being cleaned. Give him the full experience

Thereā€™s time for that yet.

is there though? Casey will need game time when he comes back from injury. Finn will probably be given time back in the corner then.

I think Saturday night would be ideal to blood one of them. At home against Tipp, TV cameras. Youā€™d know soon enough if they have it.

Personally, Iā€™d err on the side of caution and try fellas just in case but you can be sure these fellas are getting tried in challenges, etc. Kiely knows what heā€™s at.

You also donā€™t want to be handing out starts willy-nilly, a big thing last year was about fellas earning their place through performances in training, etc. Thatā€™s a healthy atmosphere for breeding competition.

Are you questioning Kiely here you little cunt?

I agree 100% with your last statement and I agree with the approach.

You also have to plan down the line and mitigate certain scenarios. We are light in the full back line. No doubt about it.

I suppose he has to juggle his mantra of what you have you hold versus trying to get fellas ready for summer hurling, in case of injuries.

You know yourself training and matches are very very different.

I am I suppose.

Perfect time to try out lads tomorrow. Although I thought Condon was going to pack it in. He had his day and all Ireland.

Lucky for ye you cunt

3 Likes

It can be if the carrot is attainable. If you constantly feel like you are performing and still canā€™t get a chance, it can work the opposite way. If youā€™ve given everything you can for a few weeks to try get a spot, and come away disappointed week after week, it can be deflating. Iā€™m not saying throw the dog a bone, but the backs have been set in stone for a long time now. It must be hard going training knowing you arenā€™t going to see the field