Limerick GAA - Fuck bogball

Is he sick?Do you know something we dont

Ah here.

I don’t know about that, he’s hardly much smaller than Tom. But if you were playing him at half-forward, you’d want him in a free role.

I just think his ability to win dirty ball and playmaking ability mean that he’s almost the perfect midfielder.

1 Like

If teams are going to assign someone to try to mark him out of the game at midfield we need to react to that though, pushing him into the half forward line would force them to change tack. His ability to win dirty ball is unnatural, but in general I’d love to see him getting on the ball in space running at the opposition more often than tackling. He creates absolute consternation running at defences and is one of our few players with the vision and creativity to create goals.

1 Like

Yeah I do see where you are coming from in terms of the man marking thing, you could try and use him to disrupt the opposition shape.

But your half-forward line would generally make the most tackles and I actually don’t think Lynch likes that hard running much, he prefers to look for that perfect pass than just put the head down.

Josh Considine with Mary I too.

Hon Limerick!

Sure lynch is putting in massive amounts of tackles in midfield, I don’t think we’d lose anything on that front with him at half forward. On his preference to find the killer pass rather than put the head down and bullock through, I think that’s exactly what our forward line needs. More players with the vision and ability to see and execute those passes. We’ve a powerful set of forwards but a bit one dimensional. Lynch and Dowling are probably our only two forwards with the vision and creativity to make something happen that others can’t, and maybe Casey. It’s why we don’t score many goals in my opinion and it’s a weakness.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/SportingLK/status/1215605819905118208

We don’t create goal chances full stop. Our goals tend to come from turnovers which is good but On the days that isn’t happening for you we struggle. Gillane is the go to man for goals really and getting him isolated one v one is something we obviously have to work on but for me management aren’t encouraging our players to go for goal. Graeme is a serial offender and nearly always takes the easy option. This is something we need to be working on in the league. Kilkenny were able bury teams by scoring goals early on. It’s something I want to see us. Become utterly ruthless.

1 Like

I often think we are on the cusp of opening a team when Hayes and Hegarty charge forward but they tend to take a point.

All told I don’t think the team or system needs major changes. More players/options would always be nice and working on converting a higher percentage of our chances and we’d be very hard to beat.

Flannagan is a huge loss for the season.

1 Like

imo Kilkenny were the first team to really figure us out and possibly cork too. I think teams will learn a lot from the Kilkenny game. Packing our midfield and half forward line and forcing backs besides hannon to receive the puck out slows us down. Even little things like allowing Gillane to shoot off his weaker side as opposed to being turned by him. I agree about the points regarding goals. Our half forward line isn’t enough of a threat. Hegarty has missed a lot of goal chances. Kyle tends to take it on a little too much. Peter Casey is lethal tbf and that’s why I see him starting this season. Flanagan is also very good at creating space for Gillane. He’s an option for a long ball but has excellent vision and special awareness. I really hope we evolve this season. Adding Barry Nash and maybe adding DOD to ourself forward line could make us a lot more dangerous.

We should be allowed to have eight forwards really.

2 Likes

We start 8 backs so it’s only fair.

We don’t create as many goal chances as Tipp; they are that bit more ruthless and the movement of their forwards is exceptional. But they also have Callanan, who is just an unreal goalscorer.

Outside of them, I don’t think we’re bad in terms of creating chances. We definitely don’t convert as many as we should though with Gillane in particular being guilty. He is our main goalscoring option and he does really well to create chances but his finishing remains poor even if he did get 3 this year.

You always look to improve and some of the players could be more ruthless, Mulcahy probably a good example.

I don’t necessarily agree that playing Lynch in the forwards would create more chances. It might but he’s only going to be able to pick out those passes if other players are making those runs into space.

Maybe including Flanagan would create more chances; he’s very good at pulling defenders around, opening up space and also has that eye for a pass that ye were talking about. In 2018, he directly assisted goals for Lynch against Cork and Hegarty against Waterford but again, those passes only work if other fellas are making the runs (and Hegarty’s goal was a brilliant piece of individual play by Hego too, class finish).

I genuinely think getting Gillane to start shooting low will make a big difference; and then, play with two advanced in the full-forward line so that we’re not totally reliant on him could be another slight tweak.

1 Like

100 percent re Gillane and going high. I’m beginning to wonder is he going to be similar to Robbie keane. If he improves his weaker side and starts shooting low he’ll be one of the best forwards in the country.

You’re dead right lad, you’ve nailed it there, that’s exactly who Gillane is like, Robbie Keane.

8 Likes

A goal scorer is generally the guy whose first instinct on getting the ball close to goal is to fucking go for it . The young AOS had that ; DJ had that ; Eddie Brennan maybe . Lar too .

emphasized textNot sure it that is gillane’s first instinct . He is a super player and has got goals but that real ruthlessness I question .

I’m not so sure on that. He has lots of goal chances but he misses too many. My worry with Gillane is he doesn’t learn from mistakes. I wondered was it sort of two fingers to the management the way he keeps going high or what but it’s an area of his game that should be easily fixed but it hasn’t for what reason I don’t know. The same with his weaker side. This season will tell a lot about him and his character in my opinion. Is he going to move into the top five forwards in the game or just continue to Be a good player.