Limerick GAA - Fuck bogball

Yes but best of 2019 is sort of meaningless really. When we needed scores against Kilkenny he wasn’t there. When you have Kyle and hego in the one half forward line a lot of the pressure falls on Tom to score. Too much in my opinion. We need more options. Even DOD is a greater scoring threat that WOD at midfield. We need to work on our scoring imo and slightly rejigging our half forward line looks the obvious place to start. Hego is a leader and a great worker but he’s fairly limited. I think the system needs to evolve.

Seems only one capable of them.

He had a nightmare against Kilkenny, there’s no doubt about that but Tom was no better that day, they just didn’t perform.

A big part of the reason we couldn’t get scores was we were just so deep. Hego did get scores when it mattered in big games in 2018 even if Tom is more natural striker.

WOD is obviously not a real Scotia threat but he was probably our best player against KK and they both create chances.

I do think a bit of tweaking may be done, and Nash offers more attacking threat at wing-back aswell but options is what we really want. I’d just be surprised if Hego loses out if he’s in form.

1 Like

He struggled in the all Ireland final too. I think if DOD keeps up his form he could hold onto the jersey. I just don’t see Tom m or Kyle not starting. I’d agree on Nash he’s definitely a more offensive option in the half back line. I wonder will they look at hannon and Nash as two wing backs and maybe Byrnes/dan m at six. I think teams are really going to go after hannon and stop him In that play making role. Probably a long shot to be fair.

Hannon to wing back would free him up an awful lot.

Hayes to 6 and hego to 11.

Job done

Couldn’t have hegarty on my mind at all for Centre forward. Hayes best position is probably six In the long term. Hannon and Nash as two wing backs would be excellent distributors. Id sooner take a look cian lynch at eleven and maybe hope Henley comes into form or somebody like that.

Off the wall here but Byrnes at 11 would be worth a try. Great paw athletic and at least he’d be shooting from closer to goal

Have a lie down.

I’m going over to castlemartyr for golf, I think I’ll have a lie down after alright.

I would say absolutely no chance tbh. Definitely not Byrnes anyway, who really is a superb attacking wing-back already and wouldn’t be suited to being an intercounty centre-back tbh. Dan is very good in the role, but I think Kiely rates Hannon’s composure in the middle too highly.

If teams do push up on Hannon and he sits deep, it should create mismatches in midfield which I think they’d be happy with.

They’ll have to start looking at alternatives.

I think Hayes is the long term replacement for Hannon at 6 but you’d be bananas to move Hannon out of there now. Can’t see Hayes having the temperament for 6 yet. You’re also mad if you’re dropping both our wing backs. Pushing Lynch into the half forward line would be interesting, and is something we might have to look at if teams are going to assign a man marker to spoil him out of the game at midfield.

1 Like

I think that’s naive enough tactics. Teams are happy to allow Casey. English and Finn receive the ball. Teams are going to man mark hannon and Lynch. That totally disrupts our game plan.

Hannon would be a loss no matter what but if it did come to it, I’d be happy with Byrnes/Dan/Nash, provided Nash doesn’t overdo things.

1 Like

I thought we were spitballing here.

For the record, I’d change nothing except Dan for Nash, if the Nash experiment works. I’d also give someone else 50% league time at centre back, in case Hannon doesn’t hold up fitness wise

That’s why you would bring an additional distributor into the half-back line. If teams are committing their centre-forward to sit on Hannon around the D and our centre-forward is already coming deep, and we have two ball-playing wing-backs, that is exactly the type of mismatch that Kiely and Kinnerk look to create.

Oh I thought you were keeping the half back line the way it is. Hannon is still by miles our best distributor. So even off puck outs if he went half back and allowed Byrnes stand at six and Nash on the other side I think it’s the best option. If for example Casey or English had to play it short I’d much rather it being played to hannon than anybody else. Also if you lose it in the half back position all is not lost but at six you could see the opposition through on goal.

It’s time to start planning / having an alternative for life without Hannon

Nobody else in the country can replicate or do what Declan Hannon does at 6 for Limerick, not to mind in the Limerick panel. Dan will go into 6 if ever needed and is safe out there without being anywhere near what Hannon is there.

Light candles and say prayers that he stays fit and healthy.

3 Likes

Too small at half forward for Kielyball